• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PSBs not near a station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Magdalia

Established Member
West Midlands Signalling Centre at Saltley.

For a long while Trent would have counted.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Are there any power signal boxes that aren't located at or near a station? I know Sharnbrook is one example, but most I think are near a station complex.
I wasn’t aware that there was ever a power signal box at Sharnbrook. It was controlled by West Hampstead for a very long time.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
I wasn’t aware that there was ever a power signal box at Sharnbrook. It was controlled by West Hampstead for a very long time.

Perhaps an inaccuracy from Video 125's Midland Mainline drivers eye view. I'm sure they mentioned WH controlled as far as just north of Bedford when Sharnbrook PSB took over.

When did it exist?

I thought it was a modern one

Gloster

Established Member
Perhaps an inaccuracy from Video 125's Midland Mainline drivers eye view. I'm sure they mentioned WH controlled as far as just north of Bedford when Sharnbrook PSB took over.

I thought that West Hampstead fringed with Leicester to the north of the Sharnbrook section of West Hampstead’s control.

midland1

Are there any power signal boxes that aren't located at or near a station? I know Sharnbrook is one example, but most I think are near a station complex.
The last box at Sharnbrook as far as I know was the Midland box which closed in 1981.

The Puddock

West of Scotland Signalling Centre.
Does WSSC really count though? It's not even five minutes walk from Springburn (through the scary underpass). You can see the station from the west end of the compound and you can see WSSC from the station. If we're considering WSSC fits the bill then boxes like Cathcart, Kilmarnock and Paisley, which are also very close to a station as the crow flies but not actually located directly alongside, would also count.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Does WSSC really count though? It's not even five minutes walk from Springburn (through the scary underpass). You can see the station from the west end of the compound and you can see WSSC from the station. If we're considering WSSC fits the bill then boxes like Cathcart, Kilmarnock and Paisley, which are also very close to a station as the crow flies but not actually located directly alongside, would also count.
Manchester South likewise very close to Stockport station - even though it does not control the station nor adjacent junctions.

Has Trent PSB gone? Over a mile from Long Eaton. (sorry, not been that way for a while).

John Webb

Established Member
I thought that West Hampstead fringed with Leicester to the north of the Sharnbrook section of West Hampstead’s control.
There was a temporary box at Sharnbrook 25/10/87 to 5/11/87! (mentioned in "The Leicester Gap", by M Vanns, 2018.) Leicester PSB was operational from December 1987 and worked to West Hampstead to the south and Trent PSB to the north. Control of Leicester PSB transferred to East Midlands ROC at Derby at some point - I've not got the date to hand at present. (Possibly 2013 when Trent PSB was closed?)

....Has Trent PSB gone? Over a mile from Long Eaton. (sorry, not been that way for a while).
Yes, closed in 2013 with operations transferred to the East Midlands ROC.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Folkestone East (arguable whether a PSB though)
A panel box, anyway, though it had a station when it opened.
As were Shortlands Jn and Chislehurst Jn from the same period, the latter being a fair way from any station.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Does WSSC really count though? It's not even five minutes walk from Springburn (through the scary underpass).

I would have said more like 10 minutes walk, to allow time to dodge the dive-bombing seagulls and flasher (which one of our staff encountered at the subway once!) And the odd thing with the WSSC of course is that it is located within a triangle of lines but controls none of them.

Motherwell SC, when it still existed, was a bit of a walk from the station.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Tyne Yard?

No PSB at Tyne yard - signalling on that part of the ECML is controlled from Tyneside ROC,
located directly across the Tyne from Newcastle station, as shown here:

MARK

D6130

Established Member
Glasgow Central - when it was open. Although named after the station, it was nearly a mile away in the fork of Bridge Street Junction.

Cowlairs - when it was open. Situated in a triangle of lines some distance from Springburn station.

Healey Mills - when it was open.

Tees Yard - if still open. Not sure if it is.

Saltley - when it was open. Now superseded by the West Midlands Signalling Centre (see post #3)

The Puddock

I would have said more like 10 minutes walk, to allow time to dodge the dive-bombing seagulls and flasher (which one of our staff encountered at the subway once!) And the odd thing with the WSSC of course is that it is located within a triangle of lines but controls none of them.
I used to do it in 5 minutes when I worked there but I suppose it depends how quickly you walk. Of course it would have been a lot quicker and safer if they had built the walking route off the end of the station platform as was promised several times.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Tees Yard - if still open. Not sure if it is.
Still clinging on, but only controls the lines in the immediate vicinity of the yard these days;
the through lines from Thornaby to Middlesbrough are controlled from York ROC.

MARK

59CosG95

Established Member

My hunch is that there's probably a similar sounding PSP (Principal Supply Point) at Sharnbrook, for signalling power purposes.
There is also Sharnbrook MPTSC, which does traction power.

Status
Not open for further replies.