• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PTS Sub-Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighteight123

Hi all,

I don’t currently have a PTS but my employer would sponsor me if I wanted one. If I got one from my employer, would I need permission from them to do adhoc jobs on the railway using my PTS (Like the type posted on PTS Jobs group of Facebook)? I am particularly referring to the sub-sponsor side of things, rather than whether they would let me hold a second job (that would be an issue for HR). Would I need to inform my employer everytime there was adhoc work in order for me to be allowed on site?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

twpsaesneg

Hi all,

I don’t currently have a PTS but my employer would sponsor me if I wanted one. If I got one from my employer, would I need permission from them to do adhoc jobs on the railway using my PTS (Like the type posted on PTS Jobs group of Facebook)? I am particularly referring to the sub-sponsor side of things, rather than whether they would let me hold a second job (that would be an issue for HR). Would I need to inform my employer everytime there was adhoc work in order for me to be allowed on site?

Any help would be appreciated.
Yes.

Normally if you are working through agencies they will act as a secondary sponsor for that work.

You would need to comply with the 12 hour rule and 13 in 14 day rule for shifts with both sets of employers.

It's worth being honest at the beginning, if you suffered an injury on site with your side job that prevented you coming to work for your main job, it's better they know about it beforehand. Also the PTS course is a big investment for an employer so they may be a bit annoyed if you are using that investment for your own financial gain without at least letting them know.

The Snap

Established Member
One thing to bear in mind is that if the work you are doing is for a Principal Contractor via a subcontractor, the PC will expect you to be primary sponsored by the company you are working for.

For example, a Principal Contractor has some work that needs delivering. They subcontract it to a company you work for. The PC would expect you to be primary sponsored by that company you work for.
In your case, it sounds like you may be doing adhoc rail work for a company who would be your sub-sponsor, not your primary? That wouldn’t be acceptable for most PCs.

Lighteight123

Yes.

Normally if you are working through agencies they will act as a secondary sponsor for that work.

You would need to comply with the 12 hour rule and 13 in 14 day rule for shifts with both sets of employers.

It's worth being honest at the beginning, if you suffered an injury on site with your side job that prevented you coming to work for your main job, it's better they know about it beforehand. Also the PTS course is a big investment for an employer so they may be a bit annoyed if you are using that investment for your own financial gain without at least letting them know.
Thanks for the information. I will enquire internally to make sure company is also okay with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.