• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PTS Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

MistaMatthews

I start PTS training on Monday and just wondering if anyone can give more of a heads up on what actually happens on the course?

I have done the e-learning and been given the venue, times etc. But not much more information than that.

Will I need PPE for the whole thing? Is there any practical element to it?

Just any information would be helpful.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
What job is it for and do you have a railway rulebook. It should have practical elements to it and whoever runs the course should supply you with PPE , I would have thought.

MistaMatthews

It is just for basic track work with AC & DC. I don't have a rulebook, just the standard PTS book. I have all the PPE, just don't know what parts I'll need it for. Guess I'll just take it all in a kit bag.

The thing that I'm worried about is that whilst the theory part of my training has been good, the practical element has been slim due to covid restrictions. I don't want to rock up on my first shift and turn out to be a complete lemon.

Stigy

Established Member
It is just for basic track work with AC & DC. I don't have a rulebook, just the standard PTS book. I have all the PPE, just don't know what parts I'll need it for. Guess I'll just take it all in a kit bag.

The thing that I'm worried about is that whilst the theory part of my training has been good, the practical element has been slim due to covid restrictions. I don't want to rock up on my first shift and turn out to be a complete lemon.
The PTS book you’ve been supplied with will probably be taken straight out of the rulebook to all intents and purposes (Module G1).

It’s all about as basic as it gets but the exact format will differ between TOC/agency etc. The two TOCs I’ve worked for have had a day of theory and a day practical/assessment. It’s a pass/fail course but I’ve never known it be too taxing, even if you’re not from a railway background.

Have you not been issued any joining instructions for the course (Etiquette/lunch arrangements/dress code/course itinerary)?

I’m a little bit confused, but as I understand it, you’re in a job, being trained, but have yet to complete PTS, is that correct? It’s just that you say about the theory and practical parts of your training to date etc.

Pilotman

Hi Mista

If it helps the following website is a great insight to PTS, best of all it's free. If your doing the DC element then there will be a practical element which involves using the short circuit bar, obviously not on a live rail but some training locations have a dummy 3rd rail. You will need PPE (safety shoes and approved hi vis vest or jacket.)

https://uktrainingsolutions.com

Hope this helps

MistaMatthews

The PTS book you’ve been supplied with will probably be taken straight out of the rulebook to all intents and purposes (Module G1).

It’s all about as basic as it gets but the exact format will differ between TOC/agency etc. The two TOCs I’ve worked for have had a day of theory and a day practical/assessment. It’s a pass/fail course but I’ve never known it be too taxing, even if you’re not from a railway background.

Have you not been issued any joining instructions for the course (Etiquette/lunch arrangements/dress code/course itinerary)?

I’m a little bit confused, but as I understand it, you’re in a job, being trained, but have yet to complete PTS, is that correct? It’s just that you say about the theory and practical parts of your training to date etc.

I'm not in a job as such. I'm joining an agency that require you to complete a level 3 qualification before starting. Preferably I'd like to be working for Network Rail but that's proving rather difficult. I don't really have any experience on track apart from two days of practical and being a bit of an enthusiast.

During the practical days which were held on a preserved line that was closed, things that we covered included:

- Measuring track gauge and cant
- Removing and replacing clips (flat bottom rail only)
- Setting up emergency speed restrictions
- Rail temperatures
- Measuring rail wear

But that was all... Other things were discussed but I was not given practical experience of things like sleeper changes, rail changes, ballast profiling, no bull head rail / chairs etc.

I'm not worried about PTS being difficult, just interested as to whether it's going to give some real life practical experience. Obviously walking out on a closed preserved line is going to be far different from walking around on live DC lines.

I'll add that it looks like there's something called an Industry Common Induction as well. I just want to be able to go to work on my first day and be able to do the basic tasks expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.