• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PV Validity/Super Off Peak

Status
Not open for further replies.

steadmane

I am travelling from Wadhurst to Banbury on a return portion super-off-peak ticket tomorrow. As I am at a meeting at 3pm it is highly unlikely I will be at Marylebone or Paddington before the 4pm Super-Off-Peak cut-off. Rather than hang around until after 7pm, can I go Waterloo-Reading-Banbury. I am pretty sure this is a permitted route and nowhere in the PV validity does it mention London Waterloo restrictions. It can't be that easy though can it?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

steadmane

This section ?

"By any train from Reading
except those timed to depart
before 0700, from 0930 until
1630, or after 1930"

That's not specifically stopping me leaving Waterloo is it? And I don't even understand the logic behind these rules when I do leave Reading!

sonic2009

Established Member
Do you plan to travel Wadhurst to London Bridge or Waterloo East, Break your journey and then travel London Waterloo - Banbury via Ascot, Reading & Oxford?

steadmane

I plan to travel Wadhurst to Waterloo East, BOJ here, Waterloo to Reading,
Reading to Banbury merely as a way of avoiding the 4-7pm Super Off Peak ban at Paddington and Marylebone with the bonus of not crossing London (meeting is BFI/Southbank).

Failing that I will go see a movie and travel after 7pm!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It is quite clear that you cannot leave Reading until 1930, if you decide to leave from Waterloo.

steadmane

I understand that is quite clear regarding leaving Reading but my question was can I travel from London Waterloo at any time after 4pm?

Doesn't matter, I will print off the PV validity and if challenged, etc, etc.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I understand that is quite clear regarding leaving Reading but my question was can I travel from London Waterloo at any time after 4pm?

Yes, you can. Bringing a copy of the restriction text with you is a good idea.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fine as a way of getting out of London sooner, you'll not get good any earlier though. The journey from Waterloo makes an interesting change if you've not done it before, but I would make sure you take a good book!

furlong

Established Member
It is quite clear that you cannot leave Reading until 1930, .

If the quote is accurate, I read it the opposite way - that you can't use it after 1930.

By any train from Reading
before 0700, from 0930 until 1630, or after 1930

Last edited:

greatkingrat

Established Member
This section ?

"By any train from Reading
before 0700, from 0930 until
1630, or after 1930"

They seem to have mucked up the wording of this restriction - taken literally the only trains that you can catch from Reading are the peak trains from 0700-0930 and 1630-1930!

jkdd77

If the OP needs to travel back during the 'barred' period, then an excess fare to a SVR would be £9 (assuming no railcard is held), allowing travel on any afternoon train from London Marylebone and most trains from Paddington to Banbury, as per restriction code WM.

jkdd77

The wording of restriction code PV on National Rail (the definitive source of validity) appears to differ from the wording on brfares.com.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/pdfs/OPR_PV.pdf

'National Rail' PV said:
Journeys via Reading
Return Travel
Monday to Friday
By any train from Reading except those timed to depart between 16:30 and 19:30.

So, it is not permitted to join such a train.

LexyBoy

Established Member
The train from Waterloo takes so long anyway that travelling after 1930 shouldn't be a problem. Time for a crafty pint at the Tired Guineas if you're lucky...

CyrusWuff

Established Member
The wording in the National Rail PDF is out of date, as it doesn't refer to the morning peak restriction from London/Reading.

A quick check suggests that it is coded as intended in the fares database, however, as is restriction code PU.

jkdd77

The wording in the National Rail PDF is out of date, as it doesn't refer to the morning peak restriction from London/Reading.

A quick check suggests that it is coded as intended in the fares database, however, as is restriction code PU.

I don't mean to take this thread off-topic, but I always thought that the relevant restriction code shown on the National Rail site is the definitive and official version:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/46383.aspx
NRE said:
National Rail Enquiries (NRE) is the definitive source of information for all passenger rail services on the National Rail network in England, Wales and Scotland

Therefore, I don't see how the 'missing' northbound morning restriction forms part of the contract for travel, and question whether it could currently be validly enforced.

Status
Not open for further replies.