• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

QR Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteyrhys

Hey!

So this has been bothering me for some time, why do some tickets now have QR codes printed on the top left hand corners where the ticket type used to be? Seen these when collecting tickets at a VTEC machine or issued by a VTEC kiosk?

If anyone knows and could tell me it would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Being pedantic, they're Aztec codes rather than QR codes, and can theoretically be read by on-train staff (via a Bluetooth scanner that pairs with their Avantix) more reliably than a magstripe. They also work scanners on ticket gates, as per the barcodes on print at home and mobile tickets.

whiteyrhys

Oh! Okay, I did think they looked a bit different so thanks for clearing that up :)
I don't think I've ever seen them be used to be honest , I've only ever seen the tickets be read by hand, can they be swiped by ticket machines too? Learn something new every day!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I've noticed that the Aztec codes that were on tickets issued by my local station (both over the counter and from the TVM) are no longer there.

There's a big space in the top left of the ticket where the Aztec code used to be printed.

Status
Not open for further replies.