QR Codes

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by whiteyrhys, 11 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiteyrhys

whiteyrhys Member

Hey!

So this has been bothering me for some time, why do some tickets now have QR codes printed on the top left hand corners where the ticket type used to be? Seen these when collecting tickets at a VTEC machine or issued by a VTEC kiosk?

If anyone knows and could tell me it would be greatly appreciated!

2. CyrusWuff

CyrusWuff Established Member

Being pedantic, they're Aztec codes rather than QR codes, and can theoretically be read by on-train staff (via a Bluetooth scanner that pairs with their Avantix) more reliably than a magstripe. They also work scanners on ticket gates, as per the barcodes on print at home and mobile tickets.

3. whiteyrhys

whiteyrhys Member

Oh! Okay, I did think they looked a bit different so thanks for clearing that up :)
    I don't think I've ever seen them be used to be honest , I've only ever seen the tickets be read by hand, can they be swiped by ticket machines too? Learn something new every day!

4. Hadders

Hadders Established Member

I've noticed that the Aztec codes that were on tickets issued by my local station (both over the counter and from the TVM) are no longer there.

There's a big space in the top left of the ticket where the Aztec code used to be printed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.