• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Quad tracking on Leeds-Micklefield line?

deltic08

On Moderation
I was at Garforth station today.
I thought the intention was to quad track the line from Leeds to at least Garforth to allow fast non-stop trains to overtake all stations stoppers stopping at Garforth, proposed Thorpe Park, Cross Gates, another proposed station at Osmandthorpe near Neville Hill and possibly one near Leeds Parish Church/Leeds bus station.
The original formation was built for four tracks as far as the immediate west of Garforth but four were only laid as far as Cross Gates when the Cross Gates-Wetherby line was opened. The recently built M1 and East Leeds Orbital road over bridges were built to accommodate for tracks beneath.
Looking today at the distance between the lift towers being constructed at Garforth, there is no hope of quadrupling in this part of the Leeds-York line.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
Not necessarily. While I've seen nothing concrete myself for new proposals, I would surmise that, in a similar vein to what's proposed for Heaton Lodge - Thornhill LNW, a new fast track pair would be set off to the side, rather than being shoehorned in the middle.

Veteran Member
Not necessarily. While I've seen nothing concrete myself for new proposals, I would surmise that, in a similar vein to what's proposed for Heaton Lodge - Thornhill LNW, a new fast track pair would be set off to the side, rather than being shoehorned in the middle.
It depends what, if anything, is planned..
I can't see room for 4 tracks through the built up area at Garforth without a land take anyway, however you do it, so you would probably end up with a lengthy new-build up near the M1, and that's only going to happen as part of a HSL :(
4-tracking through Cross Gates and Thorpe Park would work for overtaking stoppers (and you could start nearer Neville Hill to allow for Osmondthorpe if that gets revived), but you'd do those as long loops.

(The Heaton Lodge job focuses on sorting out conflicts and speeds, which is different.)

WAO

The alternative to four tracking beyond Crossgates would be the use of the HS2b/3 formation for fasts, from Barnbow Common to Church Fenton North - possibly a reason for the wiring to that point South from Colton Junction. It would need a long skew bridge across the M1 etc. Imaginative and therefore unlikely.

WAO

3RDGEN

This link provides some details on NR's plans and links to the TWAO they have submitted;

"https://www.networkrail.co.uk/runni...-route-upgrade/leeds-to-micklefield-upgrades/" - Leeds - Micklefield Upgrades.

There's detail about the foot/level crossing closures and bridge reconstructions but nothing I can see re four tracking at this point. I would hope for Neville Hill to the new Thorpe Park station as a minimum and possible further towards Garforth, there's no plan for any new build lines.

snowball

Established Member
This link provides some details on NR's plans and links to the TWAO they have submitted;

"https://www.networkrail.co.uk/runni...-route-upgrade/leeds-to-micklefield-upgrades/" - Leeds - Micklefield Upgrades.

There's detail about the foot/level crossing closures and bridge reconstructions but nothing I can see re four tracking at this point. I would hope for Neville Hill to the new Thorpe Park station as a minimum and possible further towards Garforth, there's no plan for any new build lines.

If I remember correctly from when the TWAO documents were first discussed in the main TRU thread, they avoid any statements about what will or won't be 4-tracked.

There are also remaining mysteries about the bit nearest Leeds.

Dave S 56F

One place they wouldn't be able to 4 track there is between Dewsbury morley tunnel and Cottingley (Churwell originally) the victorians thought of this idea and couldent do it due to mine workings in the morley area and the cutting coming out of dewsbury to Batley is very steep and narrow that's possibly why in 1897 the Leeds new line was built and was eventually closed by beeching in 1966. Heaton Lodge to dewsbury is possible to 4 track and Leeds City to Garforth Within the next decade.

Ken H

On Moderation
One place they wouldn't be able to 4 track there is between Dewsbury morley tunnel and Cottingley (Churwell originally) the victorians thought of this idea and couldent do it due to mine workings in the morley area and the cutting coming out of dewsbury to Batley is very steep and narrow that's possibly why in 1897 the Leeds new line was built and was eventually closed by beeching in 1966. Heaton Lodge to dewsbury is possible to 4 track and Leeds City to Garforth Within the next decade.
Leeds station to Neville hill is probably a non-starter. It slices through the heart of leeds so would be expensive. The grade II* listed White cloth Hall is in the way to. And St Peters graveyard.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
If I remember correctly from when the TWAO documents were first discussed in the main TRU thread, they avoid any statements about what will or won't be 4-tracked.

There are also remaining mysteries about the bit nearest Leeds.
I suspect that anything that could go in the "too expensive/difficult" range won't happen. The four-tracking between Huddersfield and Thornhill LNW seems extravagant, but the land take is minimal and there's little or no demolition of non-railway infrastructure needed.
By comparison, four-tracking the viaduct East of Leeds Station would be a huge (and therefore expensive and disruptive) task, and doing so through Garforth would require several structures be replaced and a fair bit of land to be acquired.

deltic08

On Moderation
I suspect that anything that could go in the "too expensive/difficult" range won't happen. The four-tracking between Huddersfield and Thornhill LNW seems extravagant, but the land take is minimal and there's little or no demolition of non-railway infrastructure needed.
By comparison, four-tracking the viaduct East of Leeds Station would be a huge (and therefore expensive and disruptive) task, and doing so through Garforth would require several structures be replaced and a fair bit of land to be acquired.
There is enough railway land either side of the current formation as far as East Garforth then the railway enters a steep narrow cutting. Quad tracking through Garforth would require a new Up platform set back and new overbridge for the A road crossing over. This would partially reduce the dogleg between Garforth and East Garforth.
The viaduct immediately east of Leeds station is to be widened to three tracks wide with bidirectional running so a station near Leeds Parish Church is possible with overtaking facilities.

Ken H

On Moderation
There is enough railway land either side of the current formation as far as East Garforth then the railway enters a steep narrow cutting. Quad tracking through Garforth would require a new Up platform set back and new overbridge for the A road crossing over. This would partially reduce the dogleg between Garforth and East Garforth.
Garforth considers itself posh, so expect NIMBYism....

mike57

Established Member
Wouldn't a quick win be 4 tracking in the Crossgates area, as Crossgates station used to be 4 track, and there would be no demolition and it would all be within the railway boundary. Extending the 4 track could then be looked at as follow up.

willgreen

Expensive and disruptive - yep. But IIRC much of the land required is actually empty or used by roads so only a handful of buildings would need to be demolished. Would cause carnage in Leeds city centre though.
Wouldn't a quick win be 4 tracking in the Crossgates area, as Crossgates station used to be 4 track, and there would be no demolition and it would all be within the railway boundary. Extending the 4 track could then be looked at as follow up.
This isn’t necessarily a quick win as four track is only useful if you’re using it to overtake - so you have to hold a train in the four track section (presumably a stopper at Crossgates) whilst another train overtakes it on the parallel track. If you simply restored the four-tracking through the station you’d have to hold the stopper there for at least five minutes if not more - I can’t remember what the headways are on that section. Ideally it makes more sense to four-track a section with two or more stations so the faster trains can loop stoppers without causing too much of a time penalty.

Grimsby town

I'm not sure 4 tracking beyond Thorpe park is needed. I think its difficult to make the case for more services than two per hour stopping at East Garforth or Micklefield given the formers proximity to Garforth and the latter's relatively small population.

I do think that more stations are needed within the Leeds urban area and Cross Gates, Thorpe Park, and Garforth could all justify a regular four train per hour frequency. I think a sensible solution would be quad track Neville Hill to Thorpe and revive the east Leeds parkway concept through a flyover and reversing point at Thorpe Park.

zwk500

Veteran Member
You wouldn't get 4 tracks between Leeds and Neville Hill without demolition and some serious engineering. It only needs 4 tracking from Neville Hill for 2/3 stations eastwards anyway as that's enough time for a nonstop to get past and it would struggle to catch the stopper in front of that before the junction at Micklefield.

Meerkat

Established Member
You wouldn't get 4 tracks between Leeds and Neville Hill without demolition and some serious engineering. It only needs 4 tracking from Neville Hill for 2/3 stations eastwards anyway as that's enough time for a nonstop to get past and it would struggle to catch the stopper in front of that before the junction at Micklefield.
What do you call serious engineering?
Looks like it needs an 800m low viaduct immediately south of the current one, demolishing one modern-ish boring office block that might be worth redeveloping anyway. It almost looks like the path has been deliberately kept clear.
The difficult and disruptive bit would be the Marsh Lane tie in, probably involving a new long bridge over the road and rail realignment.
Wouldn’t it make a huge difference to Leeds station congestion if you could run more trains through rather than terminate? could also put some inner suburban stations in, but tricky terminate them if you don’t have a Welwyn Style flyover.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Looks like it needs an 800m low viaduct immediately south of the current one, demolishing one modern-ish boring office block that might be worth redeveloping anyway. It almost looks like the path has been deliberately kept clear.
The difficult and disruptive bit would be the Marsh Lane tie in, probably involving a new long bridge over the road and rail realignment.
Long spans and offset piers as there are major roads directly alongside the viaducts, IIRC.
Wouldn’t it make a huge difference to Leeds station congestion if you could run more trains through rather than terminate?
im sure it would make a difference, but the impact would be slightly limited by the crossing movements youd need to get trains to the right lines at the west end, and massively limited by platform capacity.
could also put some inner suburban stations in, but tricky terminate them if you don’t have a Welwyn Style flyover.
Leeds would be better served with a separate transit system for the inner suburban area, not heavy rail stations.

mike57

Established Member
Looking at Google Earth I think that 4 tracking from Wesley Place bridge to just east of Crossgates would be achievable by staying within existing railway boundaries, a distance of just over 3 miles, going back in history quite a bit of this was 4 track I think, to extend further at either end would move the project to a whole new level, so the question is, would that be enough of an improvement to make it worth the effort. Whilst further improvements would be nice to have I can't see it happening taking into account the current wider political situation. Crossgates would remain as is, with the fast lines through the middle, like it used to be.

You would still have the bottleneck at the east end of Leeds station but fast or stopping trains would be segregated once they are away from the station.

Edit: and if a new station is built at Osmandthorpe this would just have platforms on the outer slow lines like Crossgates would end up being. Could the new station could be built with in the railway boundary?

Last edited:

deltic08

On Moderation
Garforth considers itself posh, so expect NIMBYism....
Why expect NIMBYism when all development would be within railway boundaries?
Just 4 tracking at Cross Gates wouldn't be long enough as another station is proposed at Osmandthorpe between Neville Hill and Cross Gates. This section was quadruple track until the late 1960s. As the line is going to be electrified, if 4 tracked, the Ring Road overbridge at Cross Gates will have to be rebuilt as the anticlockwise carriageway is the original arched bridge and there isn't the clearance over the outside two tracks for wires.
I'm not sure 4 tracking beyond Thorpe park is needed. I think its difficult to make the case for more services than two per hour stopping at East Garforth or Micklefield given the formers proximity to Garforth and the latter's relatively small population.

I do think that more stations are needed within the Leeds urban area and Cross Gates, Thorpe Park, and Garforth could all justify a regular four train per hour frequency. I think a sensible solution would be quad track Neville Hill to Thorpe and revive the east Leeds parkway concept through a flyover and reversing point at Thorpe Park.
The original proposal was to have a turnback at Micklefield adjacent to the A1(M) as that was the last/first station in West Yorkshire.
Garforth is not small, that is why East Garforth was built. The car park at Garforth was doubled in size about 10 years ago as it was full each day and motorists were parking on street. When I was there on early Monday afternoon, the only parking spaces available were disable spaces (which were all cordoned off). This shows that it is heavily used as a Parkway station for Leeds and York It would be sensible to have a turn back to include Garforth and 4 track to there. It would be interesting to see if car parking becomes less when Thorpe Park opens.
You obviously don't know Leeds. Half the distance between Leeds and Neville Hill through Marsh Lane cutting is already 4 tracked with plenty of room on railway land to extend towards the viaduct.
Expensive and disruptive - yep. But IIRC much of the land required is actually empty or used by roads so only a handful of buildings would need to be demolished. Would cause carnage in Leeds city centre though.

This isn’t necessarily a quick win as four track is only useful if you’re using it to overtake - so you have to hold a train in the four track section (presumably a stopper at Crossgates) whilst another train overtakes it on the parallel track. If you simply restored the four-tracking through the station you’d have to hold the stopper there for at least five minutes if not more - I can’t remember what the headways are on that section. Ideally it makes more sense to four-track a section with two or more stations so the faster trains can loop stoppers without causing too much of a time penalty.
Someone knowledgeable at last.

Wouldn’t it make a huge difference to Leeds station congestion if you could run more trains through rather than terminate? could also put some inner suburban stations in, but tricky terminate them if you don’t have a Welwyn Style flyover.
Only 200 yards of the viaduct would need widening from the bus station eastwards where the ground is level with the railway. Network Rail is already investigating widening this part if the viaduct to 4 tracks to accommodating a station here and 3 tracking the viaduct from here to Leeds station. No major roads alongside the viaduct to stop this. Only back roads
Leeds would be better served with a separate transit system for the inner suburban area, not heavy rail stations.
Yes I agree, but a heavy rail station and footbridge to the bus station would be more user friendly for commuters than changing at Leeds, especially commuter trains from the west extended across Leeds.
Looking at Google Earth I think that 4 tracking from Wesley Place bridge to just east of Crossgates would be achievable by staying within existing railway boundaries, a distance of just over 3 miles, going back in history quite a bit of this was 4 track I think, to extend further at either end would move the project to a whole new level, so the question is, would that be enough of an improvement to make it worth the effort. Whilst further improvements would be nice to have I can't see it happening taking into account the current wider political situation. Crossgates would remain as is, with the fast lines through the middle, like it used to be.

You would still have the bottleneck at the east end of Leeds station but fast or stopping trains would be segregated once they are away from the station.
I agree

Last edited:

Grimsby town

The original proposal was to have a turnback at Micklefield adjacent to the A1(M) as that was the last/first station in West Yorkshire.

Garforth is not small, that is why East Garforth was built. The car park at Garforth was doubled in size about 10 years ago as it was full each day and motorists were parking on street. When I was there on early Monday afternoon, the only parking spaces available were disable spaces (which were all cordoned off). This shows that it is heavily used as a Parkway station for Leeds and York It would be sensible to have a turn back to include Garforth and 4 track to there. It would be interesting to see if car parking becomes less when Thorpe Park opens.
I was referring to Micklefield as small and not Garforth. Garforth could quite easily be served by TPE and the Blackpool northern service to give frequencies of at least 4 trains per hour. East Garforth is close enough to Garforth that 2 trains per hour is suitable. Particularly given the 2 track constraints in that area. If necessary peak time calls could be made. Continuing to Micklefield creates too many conflicts in my opinion for stations with relatively low usage.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Remember that you also need work compounds, which will require more land than for the finished article. Four-tracking, closing East Garforth if/when Thorpe Park opens, moving the dead on the embankment near the Parish Church, we've been here before. Nothing seems to generate a good benefit:cost ratio, especially with the modern railway. Two simultaneous arrivals and departures from the east would be nice, but it all needs pathing in.

deltic08

On Moderation
Remember that you also need work compounds, which will require more land than for the finished article. Four-tracking, closing East Garforth if/when Thorpe Park opens, moving the dead on the embankment near the Parish Church, we've been here before. Nothing seems to generate a good benefit:cost ratio, especially with the modern railway. Two simultaneous arrivals and departures from the east would be nice, but it all needs pathing in.
Why would you close East Garforth when Thorpe Park station opens? People of east Garforth would use Garforth station if East Garforth closed, which it wont, and not Thorpe Park which is further away.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Why would you close East Garforth when Thorpe Park station opens? People of east Garforth would use Garforth station if East Garforth closed, which it wont, and not Thorpe Park which is further away.
Will it be possible to call at Cross Gates, Thorpe Park, Garforth, East Garforth and Micklefield (either direction) before the next fast service catches up?

deltic08

On Moderation
Will it be possible to call at Cross Gates, Thorpe Park, Garforth, East Garforth and Micklefield (either direction) before the next fast service catches up?
Once electrified it would be possible but not when Thorpe Park and Osmandthorpe stations are opened as well. 4 tracking would be needed at some stations.

deltic08

On Moderation
What Osmandthorpe station"?
Osmandthorpe between Neville Hill and Cross Gates was proposed together with two others on the Leeds-Cross Gates line in 1989 wasn't allowed on a two track line but is still on the back burner for whenever the route is 4 tracked. Stations at Scholes, Penda's Way and reinstating the Wetherby branch as far as the A64 were also in the same proposal but was dropped in 2001 when route protection of the route was withdrawn. Now foolishly, houses are planned to obliterate the trackbed as part of East Leeds new town of 10,000 houses when rail would be the ideal solution for commuting into an already grid locked Leeds.

YorksLad12

Established Member
That's my point - there is no Osmandthorpe station in the works, apart from the one you referenced from 30-odd years ago.

Stopping electric services will have better acceleration away from stations, but so too will the non-stop services. The whole route becomes faster - so there might not be space for Thorpe Park without sacrificing one of the other stations. From today's ORR figures: Garforth 424,784 passengers; Cross Gates 387,372; Micklefield 173,672; East Garforth 158,932. East Garforth is most likely to go if a station needs to be sacrificed; Micklefield is the first/last stop for trains to/from York/Hull (and has P&R potential, being close to the A1). The other two are between two and three times busier.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
That's my point - there is no Osmandthorpe station in the works, apart from the one you referenced from 30-odd years ago.

Stopping electric services will have better acceleration away from stations, but so too will the non-stop services. The whole route becomes faster - so there might not be space for Thorpe Park without sacrificing one of the other stations. From today's ORR figures: Garforth 424,784 passengers; Cross Gates 387,372; Micklefield 173,672; East Garforth 158,932. East Garforth is most likely to go if a station needs to be sacrificed; Micklefield is the first/last stop for trains to/from York/Hull (and has P&R potential, being close to the A1). The other two are between two and three times busier.
If East Garforth were to close, it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to build a safe well-lit walking route alongside the line to Garforth station. Add in a proviso that any platform extensions take place at that end, and you've effectively removed the need that led to East Garforth being built in the first place.

deltic08

On Moderation

EMUs also decelerate faster so would probably save a minute per station stop. That would save 4 minutes on journey time of an all stations stopper. But, there is going to be an additional station at Thorpe Park so overall journey time between Leeds and Micklefield will remain the same as diesels today once electrified.
Non stopping electric trains will accelerate only once leaving York or Leeds so would only reduce journey time by 30 seconds at best. If/when linespeed between Leeds and Miicklefield is increased above 80/90mph, journey time will be reduced further but not by much more than a minute or two.
4 tracking as far as Thorpe Park is necessary.
East Garforth is too well used to be closed.

59CosG95

Established Member

Micklefield certainly has P&R potential, although it's not the easiest to reach by road from the A1 if coming from the north.
The area here could be perfect for a multi-storey.
1702629897843.png