• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Qualified driver interview

PlexiDriver

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for practice when dealing with a competency based interview! Is that questions like, how have you dealt with emergency situations? Etc.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gemz91

Many years ago I heard of one driver manager asking in what moduals of the rule book would you find certain rules. Not sure how standard that is.

Class2ldn

I had an interview for a toc, the whole interview consisted of just rules questions by a manager I knew straightway I didn't want to work for, really obnoxious, no interest in me whatsoever so it varies by company on what they will ask.
They are constantly trying to recruit drivers and after that interview its no surprise lol.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for practice when dealing with a competency based interview! Is that questions like, how have you dealt with emergency situations? Etc.

Thanks!

I imagine it varies considerably between TOCs / FOCs but expect to be asked questions relating to following rules and procedures, applying safety standards, dealing with an emergency situation, working alone for long periods or as part of a team, working to achieve a goal or objective and so on.

Juliet Barvo

I've done a few Qualified Driver Interviews:
What do you bring?
What do you know about our company?
What are our company values?
What is our core traction?
Why do you want to work for us?
What changes has our company undergone in the last few years?
What do you know about our customers?
What routes do we cover?
What does excellent customer service mean to you?
How well do you work in a Team - give examples?

What are this year's rulebook amendments?
How would you deal with a fire on a train?
Have you ever had to make an emergency call?
Have you ever had any incidents?
They may bring out a rules questionnaire.

Be aware that they may have already asked around about you before hand.

Amex88

My interview is with Avanti West Coast in Euston, next month. Wanted to know more about the job and its pros and cons. Are sundays in the working week.. and so forth.
Thank you