• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Qualified driver roles Woking and Farnham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenbeard81

As above, used the search facility and couldn't find any definite answers

Anyone here know the tractions and routes that Farnham and Woking sign?

Many thanks

Sorry if this is a stupid question

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TEW

Established Member
Woking
444, 450, 455, 456, 458, 707
Waterloo-Basingstoke
Woking-Alton
Woking-Guildford
Surbiton-Guildford via Cobham
Raynes Park-Guildford via Epsom
Chessington South
Hampton Court
Waterloo-Aldershot via Staines & Ascot, including both via Richmond and Hounslow, and the Hounslow Loop
Virginia Water-Weybridge/Byfleet & New Haw
Kingston Loop (Twickenham-New Malden)
Guildford-Aldershot
Clapham Yard, Woking Up and East End Sidings, Farnham Shed
Also Guildford-Portsmouth Harbour, but that's not signed by the starter link anymore AFAIK.

Farnham
444, 450, 455, 456, 458
Waterloo-Basingstoke
Woking-Alton
Woking-Haslemere
Waterloo-Reading via both Richmond and Hounslow, but not the Hounslow Loop section (Whitton-Hounslow)
Guildford-Ascot
Farnham Shed

DA1

Woking
Waterloo-Basingstoke
Woking-Alton
Woking-Guildford
Raynes Park-Guildford via Epsom
Chessington South
Hampton Court
Waterloo-Aldershot via Staines & Ascot, including both via Richmond and Hounslow, and the Hounslow Loop
Virginia Water-Weybridge/Byfleet & New Haw
Guildford-Aldershot
Clapham Yard, Woking Up and East End Sidings, Farnham Shed
Also Guildford-Portsmouth Harbour, but that's not signed by the starter link anymore AFAIK.

Farnham
444, 450, 455, 456, 458
Waterloo-Basingstoke
Woking-Alton
Woking-Haslemere
Waterloo-Reading via both Richmond and Hounslow, but not the Hounslow Loop section (Whitton-Hounslow)
Guildford-Ascot
Farnham Shed

Great reply!

I don’t suppose you know what Waterloo drivers sign?

DunfordBridge

Going off at a tangent somewhat, which depots sign for 159 and 442 traction? Obviously, Salisbury and Yeovil will sign for 159 Turbos.

theironroad

Established Member
Going off at a tangent somewhat, which depots sign for 159 and 442 traction? Obviously, Salisbury and Yeovil will sign for 159 Turbos.

159 - Waterloo (link 1 only), Salisbury ,Yeovil, one link at Fratton and Bournemouth both with limited work and some at Basingstoke iirc.

442 - primarily Fratton, (link 2a/b) possibly another link was due to start training on them but not sure if it ever started. Bournemouth (1 link only with limited work)

DunfordBridge

Thanks for all your replies. I was hoping Woking might have signed for 159 and 442 traction. Be good to have a train without a computer that does not need rebooting every so often. I have heard that even the toilets are computerised on a Desiro.

TEW

Established Member
Great reply!

I don’t suppose you know what Waterloo drivers sign?
So this is correct AFAIK for a new driver starring.

Waterloo-Guildford via Woking
Hampton Court
Raynes Park-Chessington South, Dorking and Guildford via Epsom
Waterloo-Weybridge/Byfleet & New Haw via Staines, including via Richmond and Hounslow, including the Hounslow Loop
Staines-Windsor & Eton Riverside
Shepperton Branch, from both Teddington and Strawberry Hill direction
East Putney (Wandsworth Town-Wimbledon)
Waterloo South Sidings
Clapham Yard
Wimbledon Park Depot
(Possibly some more depots and sidings too.)

I am not sure exactly how the link structure works, but different links add different extra routes.
Virginia Water-Reading
Guildford-Portsmouth Harbour
Woking-Poole
Woking-Alton
Basingstoke-Salisbury

Link 1 signs 159s, and a small number of drivers are meant to be learning 442s, but I don't know if that has started yet.

Frozenbeard81

TEW, appreciate if you don't want to answer but are you currently a driver there? Also have they have a pay review recently, they do seem to be a bit lower than your average TOC.

TEW

Established Member
Not a driver, but I do work for SWR. There is a pay deal out for referendum now which would lead to a large increase in pay if accepted. It is a 35 hour, 4 day week, with Sunday's inside. Conditions when it comes to PNBs and spare movement are fairly good too. No DOO either, although if the pay deal is accepted, there would be responsibility for the operation of doors. So, yes, pay is lower, but there are some reasons for it.

Frozenbeard81

Yes. I'm currently driving for a DOO mainly TOC so doing doors does not personally bother me per se and tbh If I did move I'd be moving more for massively easier commuting etc also a true 4 day week is also fairly good

DA1

So this is correct AFAIK for a new driver starring.

Waterloo-Guildford via Woking
Hampton Court
Raynes Park-Chessington South, Dorking and Guildford via Epsom
Waterloo-Weybridge/Byfleet & New Haw via Staines, including via Richmond and Hounslow, including the Hounslow Loop
Staines-Windsor & Eton Riverside
Shepperton Branch, from both Teddington and Strawberry Hill direction
East Putney (Wandsworth Town-Wimbledon)
Waterloo South Sidings
Clapham Yard
Wimbledon Park Depot
(Possibly some more depots and sidings too.)

I am not sure exactly how the link structure works, but different links add different extra routes.
Virginia Water-Reading
Guildford-Portsmouth Harbour
Woking-Poole
Woking-Alton
Basingstoke-Salisbury

Link 1 signs 159s, and a small number of drivers are meant to be learning 442s, but I don't know if that has started yet.

Thank you. Another big route and traction card then.

theironroad

Established Member
Yes. I'm currently driving for a DOO mainly TOC so doing doors does not personally bother me per se and tbh If I did move I'd be moving more for massively easier commuting etc also a true 4 day week is also fairly good

What depot would you looking to move to?

Frozenbeard81

Personally. I'd prefer Woking as it's not far from where I live and the amount of routes looks like that there would be a good variety of work/link progression in place. I do acknowledge very long term the services will probably end up being DOO too, that said Farnham isn't far from me either...

theironroad

Established Member
Not a driver, but I do work for SWR. There is a pay deal out for referendum now which would lead to a large increase in pay if accepted. It is a 35 hour, 4 day week, with Sunday's inside. Conditions when it comes to PNBs and spare movement are fairly good too. No DOO either, although if the pay deal is accepted, there would be responsibility for the operation of doors. So, yes, pay is lower, but there are some reasons for it.

Yes, referendum closes Wednesday morning 22/4. If I passes, as I suspect it will, backdated to April 2019 when it was due.
PNB will be between 3rd and 6th hours of turn , the 20min/6.5 hrs kerfuffle is removed.
DOO clause form T&C removed and replaced with DCO to ensure every train in passenger service has a guard.

theironroad

Established Member
Personally. I'd prefer Woking as it's not far from where I live and the amount of routes looks like that there would be a good variety of work/link progression in place. I do acknowledge very long term the services will probably end up being DOO too, that said Farnham isn't far from me either...

Have you seen the proposed new pay levels?

djwent

evening all, sorry for jumping in on the thread, in the last year I have passed all tests/interviews with SWR and was due a medical just before the COVID lockdown. Once the medical is out the way then I'll hopefully be on a course this year...can't wait!

I have tried to find details on the deal mentioned above but can't anywhere...I was hoping, if allowed, someone could let me know some details of the deal?! Thanks in advance for any help and hope everyone is keeping well.

DA1

evening all, sorry for jumping in on the thread, in the last year I have passed all tests/interviews with SWR and was due a medical just before the COVID lockdown. Once the medical is out the way then I'll hopefully be on a course this year...can't wait!

I have tried to find details on the deal mentioned above but can't anywhere...I was hoping, if allowed, someone could let me know some details of the deal?! Thanks in advance for any help and hope everyone is keeping well.

Evening!

I’m also awaiting a start date for SWR but I was lucky enough to squeeze in my medical the day after the offer as someone had cancelled.

Not sure if I’m allowed to post this (Admin delete if I can’t) but here’s the pay deal according to Paul Clifton on Twitter:

Grannyjoans

Thanks for all your replies. I was hoping Woking might have signed for 159 and 442 traction. Be good to have a train without a computer that does not need rebooting every so often. I have heard that even the toilets are computerised on a Desiro.

I don't know much about 159, 442 or Desiro but I know that generally newer trains are much nicer to drive than 15X series despite the occasional computer problem they tend to be more comfortable, spacious, ergonomic, cleaner, quieter, faster and more private. The computer has its plus points too and provides plenty of information and control that you'll not get on old traction.

djwent

Many thanks for the information DA1, I will have a look through it. I was offered a medical at short notice but couldn't make it, unfortunately the next one available was then cancelled due to the COVID! Thanks again and best of luck with your future.

DunfordBridge

I don't know much about 159, 442 or Desiro but I know that generally newer trains are much nicer to drive than 15X series despite the occasional computer problem they tend to be more comfortable, spacious, ergonomic, cleaner, quieter, faster and more private. The computer has its plus points too and provides plenty of information and control that you'll not get on old traction.

My driving experience is limited to class 185 Desiro train simulators and driving on a heritage line where I have driven a class 47 and also first generation DMUs when you have to pause for two seconds between gear changes. I see what you are saying about modern stock, the drivers' seat on the Class 185 is more comfortable than any seat in first class. The Train Information Screen is quite useful too because it tells you where to go to fix the fault along with a series of instructions.

The issue I have with reboots is that they are not exactly quick. I am convinced that my colleagues think the only requirement of my IT role is to go around telling people to reboot their computers.

I suspect there will be renewed interest in the middle depots such as Woking after recent posts on this thread, especially the tweet from Paul Clifton.

387star

On Moderation
The deal is pretty sweet.
Given Sundays are in the week it is hardly much higher than Thameslink where staff on older conditions only need to work 8 sundays a year and newer staff who joined after summer 2017 12 sundays. It is good that London depots are being paid more as I think it pretty unfair that drivers at London depots or expensive outer depots are effectively worse off than outer drivers.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Given Sundays are in the week it is hardly much higher than Thameslink where staff on older conditions only need to work 8 sundays a year and newer staff who joined after summer 2017 12 sundays. It is good that London depots are being paid more as I think it pretty unfair that drivers at London depots or expensive outer depots are effectively worse off than outer drivers.

Money aside, I think the terms I've read are something I'd like my TOC to aspire to.

387star

On Moderation
Money aside, I think the terms I've read are something I'd like my TOC to aspire to.
Obviously at Thameslink Sundays are overtime and possibly at the most lucrative rate in the industry
It's not a bad deal to ensure DCO. Most drivers aren't fussed about operating doors but want someone on the train to deal with everything else. I imagine SWR will start poaching more southeastern drivers then !

Status
Not open for further replies.