• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Qualified Drivers Southeastern - All Depots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class2ldn

Most companies wont take you with recent incidents, the timeframe is TOC dependant.
Probably looking at at least 3-5 years after a serious incident

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SlimJim1694

So I’ve heard Metro work comes with high risk of incidents. Can you still transfer with incidents on your record or do you have to wait for them to clear, if they do?

You can transfer internally but makes it harder to get a job at another TOC. It only seems to be the freight that don't seem to care too much about incidents. Sought after TOCs will use safety records to whittle down the applicants. They don't clear... They stay forever and follow you around!

Gekko5154

Re. vic agreed on the work content. Newly qualified drivers go to Ashford straight away? At least there’s a mix of mainline guarded and metro work. Certainly a better mixture than any of the other metro depots.
Yes newly qualified drivers sign Vic-Canterbury West/Vic-Faversham.

You’re doing intense metro work but at least you’re being paid properly for it!
You would think so. Not sure if I'm suppose to put exact figures but the difference in pay between SE and ARL is about £175. Is that worth the extra intensity? I don't know that's a different argument lol.

SE ain't that bad and as 43066 mentioned if you're wedded to that part of town then it's a decent choice.

Established Member
You would think so. Not sure if I'm suppose to put exact figures but the difference in pay between SE and ARL is about £175. Is that worth the extra intensity? I don't know that's a different argument lol.

I must be missing something here.

SE pay including London weighting is circa. £55k. ARL is circa. £63k?

Gekko5154

Salary at SE 54,575 plus London weighting (roughly 1,700 a month).

Salary at ARL 64,435.

The difference in payslips £175.

Established Member
Salary at SE 54,575 plus London weighting (roughly 1,700 a month).

Salary at ARL 64,435.

The difference in payslips £175.

Should be more like £450 more every four weeks according to the above (which tends to be accurate to within a few pence in my experience).

Might be worth checking your tax code, or do you have student loan repayments?

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
If you only count the base salary

ARL
£ 64,435 Per year
£ 4,956.54 4 Weekly
£ 3,539.42 Take home (after tax and NI)

SE
£ 54,575 Per year
£ 4,198.08 4 Weekly
£ 3,099.51 Take home (after tax and NI)

Which puts ARL +£439.91

If you include SE's London Allowance (Not sure how this is done at ARL) of £2070 per annum

£ 56,645 Per year
£ 4,357.31 4 Weekly
£ 3,191.86 Take home (after tax and NI)

Which puts ARL +£347.56

Southeastern's London Allowance is tiered. They have 'Inner' 'Outer' and 'none' You also need to factor in pension contributions too. As already highlighted, you also factor in other benefits too. SE seem to scrim on that front too. Side by side both ARL and GTR offer better travel facilities too.

Economist

Looks like ASLEF Company Info needs updating. I wonder why it's usually behind, are they worried that the s*n is going to have a slow news day and do another article about driver salaries?

Most companies wont take you with recent incidents, the timeframe is TOC dependant.
Probably looking at at least 3-5 years after a serious incident

I know of one fellow who had pretty much one of everything and was fairly new, he got an interview with TPE but not an offer.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
In case anyone is interested here's an example of the kind of work a metro driver can expect at Charing Cross.

Pass underground to Cannon St.
Cannon St - Hayes - Cannon St - Orpington and attach.

PNB

Orpington sidings - Orpington - Charing X.

Charing X- Barnehurst, ECS into Slade Green depot.
Walk out.
Slade Green - Cannon St - Dartford - Charing Cross.

This is an actual job and not one of the worst ones. Just to give an idea. You'll be looking at 100+ DOO stops most days.

Isn't that Orpington to Charing X job one of the weird fast services in the peak? Or even worse, via Lewisham?

ComUtoR

Established Member
@ComUtoR, i wish it were so. Add in the £295 we pay in for pension at ARL.

SE pension contribution is Circa £232.08. For both you need to take off pension contributions and add in some of the more technical stuff but essentially ARL base salary vs base salary and ARL comes out on top by a significant margin. Pension contributions are also based on a % so typically the more you earn, the more you pay.

Not sure what the rest day payments are or any details of Pension AVCs or share schemes, vouchers etc. SE pay deal is due (LOL) but no clue on ARL but I know a couple of guys at New Cross depot who recently come across from SE.

JammyJames08

What is the new establishment at Orpington these days after everything was sorted out? the advert is still there!

Emmsie

So if the salary and work aren't particularly desirable in comparision to other TOCs in the region and Southeastern aren't prepared to change their payscales, is there anything they can do work/life balance wise to compensate and encourage drivers to move. More part time driver roles possibly, or a choice of shift patterns ie permanent earlies/lates, the more traditional week of earlies, week of lates, continental shift pattern where your 1st shift is an early and as the week progresses your shift start time gets later. Any other suggestions?
Edited to add removing rostered leave and implementing a computer system to book annual leave.

Last edited:

DA1

What is the new establishment at Orpington these days after everything was sorted out? the advert is still there!

Orpington is now just metro work with all their mainline work taken away I believe.

The advert will be up for a while, there’s no closing date.

Established Member
So if the salary and work aren't particularly desirable in comparision to other TOCs in the region and Southeastern aren't prepared to change their payscales, is there anything they can do work/life balance wise to compensate and encourage drivers to move. More part time driver roles possibly, or a choice of shift patterns ie permanent earlies/lates, the more traditional week of earlies, week of lates, continental shift pattern where your 1st shift is an early and as the week progresses your shift start time gets later. Any other suggestions?
Edited to add removing rostered leave and implementing a computer system to book annual leave.

Those are all good suggestions, to be fair, although rostered leave can be a blessing as much as it is a curse: ad hoc leave is also available.

My mate who works there quite likes the Orpington rostering. It can be described as “little and often”: no single rest days, no more than four days working in a row.

Then again there’s no regular five day “long weekend” which wouldn’t suit some people.

Permanent earlier/lates can be accommodated through mutual swaps. It would be difficult to hire drivers on the basis of permanent earlies/lates because earlies are always more popular.

Established Member
Orpington is now just metro work with all their mainline work taken away I believe.

The advert will be up for a while, there’s no closing date.

The last true mainline work they had was Tunbridge Wells and they lost that a few years back. IIRC Orpington don’t sign 375/377s, and those started being used on Tunbridge Wells services interchangeably with Networkers, so that work was divvied out between Tonbridge and Ch+ who sign all the traction. Orpington were given more metro Networker work in its place.

The Thameslink work they had was all-shacks, mostly death by Catford Loop! It was still a lot better than the SE metro work, with longer breaks etc.

Last edited:

Emmsie

It would be similar to dead mans shoes, so drivers would wait for a vacancy within their preferred shift pattern. There can be issues with mutual long term swaps if one leaves the company, not sure if the same issue arises if 1 goes long term sick.

Established Member
It would be similar to dead mans shoes, so drivers would wait for a vacancy within their preferred shift pattern. There can be issues with mutual long term swaps if one leaves the company, not sure if the same issue arises if 1 goes long term sick.

I think it’s a good idea in principle, but doesn’t seem to have been adopted by many TOCs (or, perhaps more relevantly, by ASLEF who draw up the rosters to cover the required work).

I suspect the reason is that it’s simply too difficult to accommodate: at a commuter TOC like SE you’ll always need *a lot* of drivers starting at stupid o’clock to cover the AM peak, and *a lot* of drivers booking on in the afternoon to cover the PM peak and late evening. The service is intense from 0500ish until 2400, and trains need to be taken out and put away earlier/later than these times.

You’re left with relatively few all day “office hours” shifts which tend not to be popular. Lates are by far the least popular shifts. If you had large contingents of drivers who would only work earlies/lates etc. it would become impossible to manage.

At the end of the day people coming onto the job need to accept it’s a 24 hour railway these days and you need to be prepared to do your share if you can’t make other arrangements. Unfortunately that’s just the nature of the job (as I type this, I just got home from work :)).

The other issue at SE is that it’s fairly stuck in its ways. Places like Crossrail seemed to promote flexible working/job shares etc. - although how true any of that was I’m not sure.

Last edited:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Issue with that is the other nearby TOCs do all have some schemes like that. Most people - rightly or wrongly - go for the money followed by the roster, routes and commute. The first is poor under SE, 2nd depends on your depot, the 3rd is not great either (although the competitors are also all DOO metro-style services), and lastly most depots are within spitting distance for comparable TOCs.

Not saying that more can't be done and the ideas are sensible but for qualified drivers, I can't imagine many will be incentivised enough to switch for the reasons you mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.