• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Query re Southern Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern Newbi

Apologies I know it is different per TOC. I have been reading threads and came across entries in regards to pay.

During my DMI I was told starting pay 26k rising to 31k on completion of rules then 49k once qualified. Is this no longer the case as I noticed posts in relation to GTR stating just starting then only increase is when qualified. I have my medical coming up and barring any unforeseen problems have been invited to start in October. Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andys495

Apologies I know it is different per TOC. I have been reading threads and came across entries in regards to pay.

During my DMI I was told starting pay 26k rising to 31k on completion of rules then 49k once qualified. Is this no longer the case as I noticed posts in relation to GTR stating just starting then only increase is when qualified. I have my medical coming up and barring any unforeseen problems have been invited to start in October. Thank you

I've been told you'll get one increments during training, one at the end and the final one after your first year.
Let me know if you start for Southern this October as myself and emzy_007 are also on that course?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

emzy_007

I've been told you'll get one increments during training, one at the end and the final one after your first year.
Let me know if you start for Southern this October as myself and emzy_007 are also on that course?

Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whoosh

Established Member
Was it in relation to Thameslink / Great Northern, that you saw post saying about going straight to full rate after qualifying?
They have different terms and conditions to Southern. GTR is the parent organisation, so it can get confusing when people refer to the separate companies as GTR.

Southern Newbi

I believe it was whoosh. Just need to get through my medical this month to start in October. I was offered the date Friday. Looking forward to a new start so been reading up as much as possible to try to prepare for training

Yellowcupra

£26k including London allowance. After you pass rules it's around £35k including London allowance. Then once you pass your ICA it goes to £49k.

rob12

£26k including London allowance. After you pass rules it's around £35k including London allowance. Then once you pass your ICA it goes to £49k.

No it doesn't, You will be on first year driver money for a whole year and then to the exact date of you getting your key you will then be on £49,001 basic then with London allowance you will receive an additional £1819 on top of your basic, If you are based outside of London then your outer London allowance is £544 on top of basic. But you have to do 12 months before the above and there is a pay deal going through at the moment so by the time you are a proper driver your basic will probably be about £62,00 from 2019 onwards.

choochoochoo

Established Member
No it doesn't, You will be on first year driver money for a whole year and then to the exact date of you getting your key you will then be on £49,001 basic then with London allowance you will receive an additional £1819 on top of your basic, If you are based outside of London then your outer London allowance is £544 on top of basic. But you have to do 12 months before the above and there is a pay deal going through at the moment so by the time you are a proper driver your basic will probably be about £62,00 from 2019 onwards.

Is this for Southern ? GN/TL go straight to full salary once passing out

rob12

I do hope he's wrong as myself and 79 other southern trainees believe we go straight to full pay when we get our key! Haha.

Well I have had my key for 2 years and I along with 140 other new drivers and some who have only passed out recently were on 1st year drivers money after 12 months you then get full drivers pay, It may well have changed but I haven't heard anything and if it has I would keep it quite when you enter the depot Yellowcuppa ha ha ha ;) :lol: ;)

Class2ldn

Southeastern are the same, 1st year money and then another rise after the 1st year to full pay

Southern Newbi

been told I passed medical just waiting for something in writing so I know I have a start date. If still October look forward to meeting you. I have asked for Victoria where have you asked to be based andys and enzyme?

emzy_007

been told I passed medical just waiting for something in writing so I know I have a start date. If still October look forward to meeting you. I have asked for Victoria where have you asked to be based andys and enzyme?

I'm starting with Southern in October, to be based at Victoria! Hope you hear soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andys495

Congratulations! I too am starting in October. Based at Brighton with Southern. Maybe see you soon. Keep us posted! [emoji3]

Ception

Hi Guys

With the new pay deal that has been done, what would pay increments be now for Southern Trainee drivers?

Also does anyone know the earliest/latest booking on/off times at the Selhurst Depot and the routes they sign in link 4?

Many Thanks

RJ

Established Member
I do hope he's wrong as myself and 79 other southern trainees believe we go straight to full pay when we get our key! Haha.

Was this confirmed by HR/seen in the contract or just word of mouth? In these kind of jobs you have to know how to separate the facts from the BS!

andys495

Was this confirmed by HR/seen in the contract or just word of mouth? In these kind of jobs you have to know how to separate the facts from the BS!
Southern trainees have one year after they get their key before going up to full pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.