• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question about MTR staff badge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire Smith

Dear all

I’m new to this forum - I’m Claire and I live in London. I’m not in the railway business but I have a question and I’m hoping someone can answer.

I met this person online who works for MTR Crossrail. We hit it off but I believe he may be lying. He told me that he works in the Corporate Office which is located near Liverpool Street, actually not far away from where I live. However one time I saw him wear this tiny white badge. It had his name on it and it said “here to help”. When I asked him about it he said that everyone in Crossrail has to wear one. If he works in an office, in the Corporate Office, why would he need to wear this badge that says here to help? I’ve recently seen MTR Crossrail employees wearing one but they were at the station. Looking at pictures online, not everyone at MTR wears it like he said.

Does anyone here work at MTR and can confirm this? I know it is a weird question but it’s something that’s really bothering me.

Also I apologise this may not be the correct place but I didn’t know where exactly I could post this question. If it’s not the correct place please feel free to move it.

Thank you :)

Claire

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bennski

"Here to help" imply's he is working face-to-face in a customer service role, perhaps at a station or else where. As you said, why would he need a badge like that if he is sat behind a computer in an office?

bengley

Established Member
It's probably a generic badge given to all staff. Northern and TPE office staff seem to wear badges too.

iphone76

During times of disruption such as strikes on the Central Line or the snow last year, HQ staff are deployed to assist station staff and provide information and assistance to passengers.

With MTR everyone is encourage to work together and get out and about so it could possibly be that.

pdeaves

Established Member
Plenty of TOCs provide name badges to ALL staff. 'Office' staff are expected to help the customers out, if required, when they are out and about.

Claire Smith

Thanks all.
A friend of mine is an train engineer and he fixes trains for the London Underground. He doesn’t even have a badge like that.

Established Member
Any decent railway person will help out in a crisis, you don't need a badge for that although it helps prove you have some authority. MTR do encourage just that. Many office staff generally do more than just "sit behind a computer", although it is easier to use if you sit in front of it ;)

MTR Crossrail head office is indeed near Liverpool St station, everything you've said checks out fine.

Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
Some TOCs do provide badges for office staff (but not all grades or companies). Policies vary massively. Some of the control room staff I know get given name badges, but some of them deal with the public only once or twice a year at most.

It’s also interesting that MTR Crossrail drivers get given name badges, which is quite unusual on the rail network as a whole. Observations across the network would indicate the vast majority of train drivers don’t seem to either get badges or else don’t ever wear them. So it may be that MTR are quite keen on giving all staff name badges.

Claire Smith

Any decent railway person will help out in a crisis, you don't need a badge for that although it helps prove you have some authority. MTR do encourage just that. Many office staff generally do more than just "sit behind a computer", although it is easier to use if you sit in front of it ;)

MTR Crossrail head office is indeed near Liverpool St station, everything you've said checks out fine.

Thank you. Do they have offices in Reading and Swindon as well? He told me has to go there occasionally for a day

Established Member
MTR don't, but with Crossrail eventually going to Reading some office jobs have meetings in Reading, usually with Network Rail. Swindon is First Great Western's HQ so equally necessary to go there too sometimes.

Claire Smith

MTR don't, but with Crossrail eventually going to Reading some office jobs have meetings in Reading, usually with Network Rail. Swindon is First Great Western's HQ so equally necessary to go there too sometimes.

Thank you it makes sense now. When I asked him what his job was he said it involved looking at dots on a screen all day. Do yoy know what that is?

Aivilo

Trust issues. Maybe it isn't worth pursuing this one. what we do as adults is talk to one another, not try and catch each other out.

dilbertphil

I think he might have a lucky escape if this goes no further. You've got some trust issues and starting a thread like this is just plain weird.

Saracen_83

Why not talk to the bloke???? Not start a thread online.

And if you think he lying, don’t pursue it.

Claire Smith

Clearly I have and it’s not making sense. Do you think people don’t lie? Clearly you live in a fairytale dude. For you thinking it’s weird I don’t know why it’s weird to ask why employee wear certain badges? Wow

gazthomas

Established Member
I would walk away, though there may be a logical reason, such as he's on a lower grade such as station staff and he's too embarrassed to say. I do think you're rigbt oo be cautious though. I stand by my earlier posting, the world is smaller than we think and discretion is advisable.

Established Member
Thank you it makes sense now. When I asked him what his job was he said it involved looking at dots on a screen all day. Do yoy know what that is?

If that's his job I'd suggest he gets a better one ;) That may have been self-deprecating though. No idea what that could be, sorry can't help with relationship guidance.

Claire Smith

Maybe you should run. What do you think? We can try but I bet you wouldn’t go far (I’m a fast runner)
I did post one question Jesus, never meant to upset people. Anyway done thanks to the lovely people who answered without judgment and wish you all a great day

Suraggu

This is extremely werid. You join a railway forum to ask a question about a guy you met and hit it off?

I am sorry but this chap should run to the hills with you doing digging like this. How creepy. But it's OK because your a woman. If a man did this then they would be branded a stalker.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
This is extremely werid. You join a railway forum to ask a question about a guy you met and hit it off?

I am sorry but this chap should run to the hills with you doing digging like this. How creepy. But it's OK because your a woman. If a man did this then they would be branded a stalker.

Equality only works one way mate!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Locked as the original question has been answered

Status
Not open for further replies.