• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question about the medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

bendy1986

I have a quick question about the pre employment medical. Do I have to get my medical records from my doctor or will the company that does the medical get it from my Dr themselves or do they not actually need your medical records?

Just want to know if I need to make a appointment first?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BestWestern

Established Member
All they'll likely do is ask for your GP's details, I think. I've certainly never heard of anybody being asked to attend with reams of paper medical history in hand.

JohnFM

No Bendy, no action required from you whatsoever. They will ask, if they have not done so already, for your GP's name and address and they will contact them later on, if required.

kdhurst380

It's a good idea to go to your doctor/practice nurse first and have a general check-up so there are no nasty surprises on the day if you have not done so recently (have BP etc checked), but they don't delve into your medical history beyond a questionnaire.

If anything concerns them, then they will send you off to get a letter from your GP to give to them. Data Protection and all that.

JohnFM

It's a good idea to go to your doctor/practice nurse first and have a general check-up so there are no nasty surprises on the day if you have not done so recently (have BP etc checked), but they don't delve into your medical history beyond a questionnaire.

If anything concerns them, then they will send you off to get a letter from your GP to give to them. Data Protection and all that.

Errrr. . . no. It is not a good idea. Sorry kdhurst but why waste your Doctors' time or that of your Nurse to have a "check up" when they won't know the employment limitations involved? Having a high BP, for example, won't necessarily affect your fitness to drive a train as they would set you up with an ambulatory 24 hours BP monitor to see if you really did have an issue or just a "white coat" moment. Save the GP and Nurse time for folk who need to be seen for medical reasons rather than just for morbid curiosity reasons.

Errrrr. . . . no. The doctor will write to your GP asking for info. They will not use you as "middle man" to get info; they will ask for info without your possible influence!

"Data Protection"? Errrr . . .no. No idea why you said that as it is Access to Medical Reports Act 1988.

Last edited:

kdhurst380

Errrr. . . no. It is not a good idea. Sorry kdhurst but why waste your Doctors' time or that of your Nurse to have a "check up" when they won't know the employment limitations involved? Having a high BP, for example, won't necessarily affect your fitness to drive a train as they would set you up with an ambulatory 24 hours BP monitor to see if you really did have an issue or just a "white coat" moment. Save the GP and Nurse time for folk who need to be seen for medical reasons rather than just for morbid curiosity reasons.

Errrrr. . . . no. The doctor will write to your GP asking for info. They will not use you as "middle man" to get info; they will ask for info without your possible influence!

"Data Protection"? Errrr . . .no. No idea why you said that as it is Access to Medical Reports Act 1988.

Well, I'm afraid you are wrong on at least one of those counts. I've been referred for further testing by my own GP for high BP and have so far had two appointments with occupational health and a third coming up in the new year.

The occupational health people cannot contact your GP for information on your behalf, it does fall under the Data Protection Act and Patient Confidentiality. A signed and dated note from your GP is all they need as an endorsement. The NHS will only share patient data, with the patients express consent within other NHS organisations only for the strict purposes of any diagnosis and treatment, which is not the business of occupational health (the occupational health service is provided by and paid for the the company, not the NHS). My GP has confirmed this to me, I had to take a letter in with me on my last OH appointment.

Above all though, I don't think morbid curiosity factors into it. You are visiting with a valid reason and the wording in my original post suggests if you've not been for a while, which is exactly what I meant. I DID get a nasty surprise and am now costing the NHS and company money in appointments to get it sorted, at my age it's not as straightforward as just a hypertension diagnosis.

Last edited:

Belgarion

Well, I'm afraid you are wrong on at least one of those counts. I've been referred for further testing by my own GP for high BP and have so far had two appointments with occupational health and a third coming up in the new year.

The occupational health people cannot contact your GP for information on your behalf, it does fall under the Data Protection Act and Patient Confidentiality. A signed and dated note from your GP is all they need as an endorsement. The NHS will only share patient data, with the patients express consent within other NHS organisations only for the strict purposes of any diagnosis and treatment, which is not the business of occupational health (the occupational health service is provided by and paid for the the company, not the NHS). My GP has confirmed this to me, I had to take a letter in with me on my last OH appointment.

Above all though, I don't think morbid curiosity factors into it. You are visiting with a valid reason and the wording in my original post suggests if you've not been for a while, which is exactly what I meant. I DID get a nasty surprise and am now costing the NHS and company money in appointments to get it sorted, at my age it's not as straightforward as just a hypertension diagnosis.

This exactly mirrors my own experience, I had a medical and got a nasty shock ref my own BP and was referred back to my GP for further investigation. After more consultations, testing and medication a letter was provided by my Doctor to the occupational health team which satisfied them.

JohnFM

With respect, adding info after the fact doesn't add value but only muddies waters.

Being referred back to your GP for BP checks is fine and normal; being told to go back to your GP for added info initially is not how it works. The examining GP should go direct to your GP for more info, rather than use you as the middle man as you stated they would. Having said that it can sometimes be quicker for the patient to go running to the GP for info than putting in an access request as they have 30 days in which to respond.

The NHS will only share patient data, with the patients express consent within other NHS organisations only for the strict purposes of any diagnosis and treatment . . . . . . My GP has confirmed this to me, I had to take a letter in with me on my last OH appointment.

Sorry but that is completely incorrect and could not be further from the truth. I think you might have misheard the GP as he would never say that!

Occupational Health examiners DO go direct back to your GP. They are legally allowed to do so once you have signed the Subject Access Request (SAR) form. Iaw Access to Medical Reports Act (1988) Section 3 states that the employee, or potential employee, gives permission. You are allowed to see, under Section 4, to see the report that your GP is going to send to the employer. If you do not agree you can request that the GP amend the report according to Section 5 of the act. Any medical organisation can request info as long as it is governed by the above act, not just NHS and I bet you didn't know that non medical organisations can also ask for access to your medical records with the SAR form!

You've just added the wording "patient confidentiality", again, muddying the water. Data Protection, as you initially stated, concerns how data, in general, is controlled. Access to Medical Reports Act 1988 concerns itself specifically with who is allowed to see your medical data and under what circumstances. "patient confidentiality" is just a random statement and does not refer to any law. Ever heard of Caldicott Principles?

Just going to see the GP or Nurse for a random check ahead of your medical is a waste, IMO, unless you are experiencing issues. This is for two reasons, firstly, the fact that you feel fit and well should be enough. Secondly, you will be examined soon at the TOC medical facility and therefore will find any issues there and then. Any issues such as raised BP will be investigated later on.

I have been in the Medical world for 27 years prior to joining the networks, I am perfectly aware of the rules, regs and laws and have experienced a myriad of people taking up clinics without any real reason to do so. Going to the GP or Nurse for this is pointless and a waste of their valuable time.

I have also, in that time, processed many, many hundreds, if not thousands of requests for medical information from many hundreds of different non NHS organisations, all processed within the law and legal obligations to protect the individual.

Last edited:

RSTurbo50

Whenever I have my blood pressure taken at a medical centre, GP surgery, OP Health etc it goes sky high and Iv had the 24 hour test done several times and it's averaged 138/88 in the 24 hours. So if this continues to be the case, would I not necessarily be overlooked for a position in the industry?

Elecman

Established Member
Whenever I have my blood pressure taken at a medical centre, GP surgery, OP Health etc it goes sky high and Iv had the 24 hour test done several times and it's averaged 138/88 in the 24 hours. So if this continues to be the case, would I not necessarily be overlooked for a position in the industry?

That sounds quite normal white coat syndrome.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
If you do have any medical conditions, it is wise to disclose them up front and then your employer won't get any "nasty surprises" when your GP writes whether or not you are fit to drive a train, or whatever.

The question is...if you have confirmed high blood pressure now (i.e. at rest), what will happen when you're driving a DOO train, early morning rush hour, sun in your eyes/DOO monitor, a wheelchair passenger wants to get on, someone operates the passcom and it's your last shift before you go home. What will happen to your blood pressure then :lol:

Sorry, going a bit OT here...

Status
Not open for further replies.