• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question for Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
There's lots of bandwidth expended on here wondering how to get our job. Many assume that you need to work in the industry first; that's not been what I've found, and was not the case with the majority that I have been involved in training.

Did any of you work in other roles within the industry, or did you go straight in as a trainee driver?

Personally, I had no prior mainline rail experience whatsoever.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TDK

Established Member
There's lots of bandwidth expended on here wondering how to get our job. Many assume that you need to work in the industry first; that's not been what I've found, and was not the case with the majority that I have been involved in training.

Did any of you work in other roles within the industry, or did you go straight in as a trainee driver?

Personally, I had no prior mainline rail experience whatsoever.

I ran my own building company, applied off my own back with a letter and CV and got a trainee drivers job within 2 weeks one of the first driver 2000 applicants, best thing I ever did.

I think that many people on here asking what needs to be done may be better off doing their own thing.

Latecomer

I am not a driver yet but I commence training very shortly. I am in my mid forties and have never worked in the rail industry before. I got a sense that my new employers valued the experience I had obtained throughout my previous employment in dealing with incidents and challenging situations as well as my general life experience and reliability.

turbo mick

I joined the railway at 18 as a trainman G for 5yrs then passed my drivers aptitude test got trainman D job for two years then got my drivers job passed out April 96 till present.

mick

apestyler

Just about to start as a trainee driver. I have no prior Railway experience and I'm in my late 20s. First time I got passed the application sift (which took a few years trying) I made it all the way through first time.

My previous jobs were all in IT (various roles) but I also have some private pilot experience which helped me out massively at the structured interview.

RPM

Established Member
I started as a booking clerk, then was a retail duty manager for a bit, then an area station manager. I enjoyed the latter job very much but the money was dismal. The opportunity came up to take the driver assessment and to my great surprise I passed. I was the only trainee driver in my group of 10 who wasn't new to the industry.

driver9000

Established Member
I started as a Trainee Driver aged 22 with no prior railway experience.

I spent a lot of years applying for various railway jobs with various companies, most of which are no longer with us, until I struck gold with the offer of a place in the driving school :)

Rugd1022

Started as a Traction Trainee / Secondman in 1982, left the job after a few years (always regretted it) then came back as a Shunter with EWS, landed a Driver's job soon after and have never looked back. Still pinching myself on a regular basis, the good days always seem to outweigh the bad and I'm l lucky enough to have a quite varied route card. This coming week I'll be pootling between Oxford and Stud Farm from Monday to Friday, a favourite job and a rare treat on days ;)

garytmoss

Hi,
I'm due to start as a trainee train driver on 31st October,early 40's, no previous railway experience,last 15 years in the Fire Service.

Can't wait!

Minilad

Established Member
Applied for lots of jobs with BR in the early 80s but got nowhere. Went off and did other things until the mid 90s. Then got on the railway as a ticket office clerk. Then supervisor. After 3 years at that applied for and got a senior conductor job. Been a driver since 2001 and loving every minute. There were 10 on my course but only 2 had no railway experience

Redahead

I worked within BR - not as traincrew or anything similar - for a few years in the 1990's at the start of my working life. However, for the 13 years prior to getting in as a trainee driver a couple of years ago (at the first attempt in my late thirties) I had a completely unrelated profession, and the BR years didn't even make it onto my application form or interview.

Good thread thanks!

tirphil

Started in TOPS in 2000. Also did a bit of train running monitoring, resourcing assisting TCS', bit of shunting before being appointed to the footplate in September 2004. I'm like Rugd1022 in that I can't believe how lucky I am.

Prior to the railway, I did various jobs, collecting trolleys and stacking shelves in a supermarket and working in a slaughter house amongst other things.

Last edited:

Pacerpilot

I was an RAF Aircraft Engineer for 9 years, then did a bit of shunting before being offered a position on a Driver's Course.
There were 7 on my course, (4 former Armed Forces engineers) but only one from outside the industry. Two fitters, two shunters, a Guard, a lad from Depot stores and Firefighter.

Lady

I'm in my early thirties with no prior railway experience and about to start as a Trainee Train Driver. It was my first application and I was lucky enough to get through. My previous experience was working in housing and, previous to that, working with adults with mental health and drug issues.

Kneedown

Established Member
Started as a YTS trainee in 1985. Got taken on as messenger lad 6 months later. Had a short stint as a paytrain Guard before getting a Secondmans job in 87. Passed as a Driver just over 2 years later.

Safety365

BA: Film & Television Studies. Did stints at McDonald's, Sainsbury's, Forest labouring. Became a Conductor Aug '09. 18 months later, I got on a Trainee Drivers course with another TOC. All being well, I qualify end of November.

wessex

Aged 45, no railway experience before, but 20 years in the prison service, best move I ever made, I love driving trains :)

Status
Not open for further replies.