• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Questions about Neutral Sections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Steve Eames

That's an oddly specific measurement. Any idea where it derives from?
It is the amount of contact wire removed when the installation of the neutral section takes place and this is replaced by PTFE insulation rods , 4 of which are screwed together. The design / installation drawing used states 4101mm from the neutral centre line to point of cut which is done each side of centre which gives a total of 8202mm.
It is what the manufacturer states , which is quite right as you say a rather odd measurement.

twpsaesneg

The Arthur Flury Single Rod Neutral Section which is the most common installed on Network Rail Infrastructure with the exception of GWEP is 8202mm long on the contact and 9050mm on the catenary with 3280mm of earth section in the catenary at the centre of the Neutral section.
The APC magnets are 30m on the approach to and 30m beyond on lines of speeds 100 mph and above.
On lower speed lines , i.e. 20 mph the distance is 14m , 40 mph distance is 18m , 60 mph distance is 22m , 80 mph distance is 26m.
Hope this is of help.
Ta!
I'll know who to call when I leave my laptop in the car now :D

Status
Not open for further replies.