• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Questions for Northern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathew S

Established Member
Later today, I'm doing a press interview with Northern. If you have any questions you would like me to put to them, let me have them before 1.30pm and I'll ask as many as I can in the time I have.

If they relate in some way to Manchester, that would make it easier for me to include them.

I can't promise I will have time to ask all/any of what's posted (work stuff will have to come first) but I'll do my best. And, I will post the responses in full here when I'm allowed to.

M

PS: if you'd rather not post something here, feel free to DM me.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Well the obvious one is "What are you doing to resolve the dispute with the RMT over DOO?" but I suspect they'll already have a PR-approved response that tells us nothing.

On a similar note, you might like to ask them "If the dispute is going to carry on for months to come, what contingency plans do you have for providing your customers with a service on Saturdays better than the one we have at present?"

_toommm_

Established Member
If the government has already specified that delay repay should be paid on any ticket, regardless of whether it is multi modal or not, why does Northern continually refuse to pay delay repay on CountyCards when they would get a huge percentage of the ticket cost that is allocated to TOCs?

When will they get there finger put and agree a training course for the new class 195 DMU? What are issues around the current proposed training course that Aself have issues with?

What is the current status of the class 769 project? What reason for further slippages?

Rail Ranger

Will the Pacers definitely be withdrawn by 31st December 2019? There are rumours circulating that they may be kept in service beyond that date.
Have you made sure that all of your conductors and ticket office staff are fully briefed on the new Metrolink fare zones for the through fares from rail to Metrolink?
Will services ever resume to Manchester United Football Ground Halt?
What happened to the franchise commitment to staff Irlam, Flowery Field, Mills Hill, Blackrod, Bryn and Westhoughton stations?
When will electric trains start running via Bolton?
Are there any plans to improve the training of new conductors in fares and ticketing?
Are you going to modify your ticket vending machines to sell Duo tickets?

Last edited:

Mallone

Have Northern any idea of the hardship they have caused to commuters between Lancaster and Carlisle on the West Coast line and more importantly, the huge loss of income that businesses have had to endure especially over the Christmas period?.

D Almond

What steps are Northern taking to introducing electric trains on the Preston Manchester route now that electrification work is complete. And will them be progress before the May timetable change ?

Mathew S

Established Member
Thank you all for your suggestions. I didn't have time for everything by any means, but the main points the Northern spokesman made are:
  • The commitments Arriva made at the start of the franchise were on the assumption that planned infrastructure improvements would be delivered. Thus far, 70% of them haven't happened and the infrastructure as it is - particularly the Castlefield corridor - simply cannot support the service Northern would like to run.
  • Strike - RMT won't sit down to discuss the role of conductors without imposing a precondition that there must be a second member of staff on all trains, and that member of staff must be "safety competent". The first of those points has now been resolved, the second can only be if the RMT will come to the table which they currently are refusing to do.
  • Strong line that DCO is safe. Almost all, if not all, trains in the North need a second member of staff - for customer service and in the event of any incidents - but that with modern technology it is ludicrous to insist that staff member operate the doors, especially when evidence is there that there's no safety reason to do so.
  • Short-forms, cancellations, rolling stock shortage: stems from non-delivered infrastructure improvements meaning that there aren't enough of the right kinds of trains - especially when there's a need to send trains away to be refurbished. This will improve from May when electric services can run through Bolton.
  • On which note, from May electric trains will run through Bolton.
  • Introduction of new trains to take place over the next 18 months to 2 years, no mention of any issues with ASLEF/training etc. though my understanding is they believe they will work things out.
  • Pacers will be gone by the end of this year.
  • Remaining timetable enhancements to be phased in as infrastructure improvements happen (with the implication that if Network Rail / Government don't pull their fingers out, build Piccadilly 15/16, and complete the electrification projects that were committed when the franchise was let some improvements will not happen).
  • All refurbishments will be completed (fully) within the next 18 months / 2 years.
I think that's everything that we covered, if I remember anything else when I listen back I'll add it in. Once I know when and where the interview will be published I will try to get permission to post the audio/a link here.

Rail Ranger

Thanks for that. I'd query the 70% figure because after all, both the Ordsall Chord and the Manchester-Blackpool electrification have now been delivered. Was Piccadilly platform 15/16 ever a committed project? The only other outstanding schemes that I can think of are Bolton-Wigan and Victoria-Stalybridge electrification and the Hope Valley capacity enhancement scheme.

Mathew S

Established Member
Thanks for that. I'd query the 70% figure because after all, both the Ordsall Chord and the Manchester-Blackpool electrification have now been delivered. Was Piccadilly platform 15/16 ever a committed project? The only other outstanding schemes that I can think of are Bolton-Wigan and Victoria-Stalybridge electrification and the Hope Valley capacity enhancement scheme.
No problem at all.
There's Windermere as well. But yeah, I'm not sure whether they're including the via Bolton electrification in that 70% though, because that would certainly up the percentage of uncompleted work.

td97

Established Member
Manchester-Blackpool electrification have now been delivered
It hasn't. Testing is still incomplete and no authorisation has been granted by the Office of Rail & Road for electric passenger use.

Mathew S

Established Member
Any answer to my question about Delay Repay?
I'm still trying to get an answer to that one. The guy I talked to yesterday genuinely didn't know (fair enough, one person can't know everything). If I manage to get anything out of them I'll let you know.

scrapy

Established Member
Missed your deadline Mat but I'd like to know when Northern intend to remove the night time bus substitution from the Bolton corridor and actually deliver a rail service...
Expected to be 20th May that a full Monday to Thursday timetable resumes.

Just out of interest who from Northern did the interview?

Muenchener

Expected to be 20th May that a full Monday to Thursday timetable resumes.
Thanks. If this is info is for public consumption; Northern are in a position to release this as an opportunity for a positive news item by way of a change.

Mathew S

Established Member
Thanks. If this is info is for public consumption; Northern are in a position to release this as an opportunity for a positive news item by way of a change.
I would imagine they're waiting for final sign off on the electrification project before announcing anything, just in case.

geoffk

Established Member
Interesting. Nothing really of great surprise there. A lot of blame directed at Network Rail, as you might expect. No mention of delays caused by the tight turnrounds of both stock and crews but I expect the question wasn’t on the OP's list. There needs to be enough crew members to allow for training on new routes/new types of stock without resorting to cancellations.

Disappointing that we’re not likely to see electric services through Bolton until May. Anyone know when ORR sign-off is due to happen?

Mathew S

Established Member
There needs to be enough crew members to allow for training on new routes/new types of stock without resorting to cancellations.
I knew there was something I'd missed out of that last post. So yes, the other thing that we talked about was staffing. He spoke about how Arriva would like to harmonise pay and conditions across Northern so that Sunday is inside the working week for everyone and to reduce reliance on overtime working.
He didn't directly say so, but my feeling was that they simply can't reach agreement with Aslef on how to achieve that.

The phrase "our clients Transport for the North and the DfT" was used, which I thought was revealing.

geoffk

Established Member
I knew there was something I'd missed out of that last post. So yes, the other thing that we talked about was staffing. He spoke about how Arriva would like to harmonise pay and conditions across Northern so that Sunday is inside the working week for everyone and to reduce reliance on overtime working.
He didn't directly say so, but my feeling was that they simply can't reach agreement with Aslef on how to achieve that.

Yes Sunday working, at least the problems are acknowledged.

ComUtoR

Established Member

Which I find a little odd. ASLEF would jump at the chance of Sundays inside.

PS. did you ask my question ? I saw a partial response but nothing that would specifically clarify it.

SeanG

Have Northern any idea of the hardship they have caused to commuters between Lancaster and Carlisle on the West Coast line and more importantly, the huge loss of income that businesses have had to endure especially over the Christmas period?.

That's a bit harsh on Northern given that they do not operate north of Oxenholme. I was not aware however that there were problems on the West Coast Main Line

sw1ller

Established Member

PS. did you ask my question ? I saw a partial response but nothing that would specifically clarify it.
ASLEF might but would the members it’s representing?? Still a lot of people at my TOC not interested in working Sunday.

Mathew S

Established Member

I did. He wasn't going to give a guarantee - and to be fair I wouldn't have expected him to. He said "it's clear that most if not all trains across the north of England need a second member of staff on board". I think that's the best we're going to get out of them for a while.

Mathew S

Established Member
That's a bit harsh on Northern given that they do not operate north of Oxenholme. I was not aware however that there were problems on the West Coast Main Line
I didn't ask that question. Without meaning to be unkind to @Mallone, I'm not sure how it's a question for Northern. Unless they meant the Cumbrian Coast line perhaps.

ComUtoR

Established Member
ASLEF might but would the members it’s representing?? Still a lot of people at my TOC not interested in working Sunday.

Personally, I would prefer it outside but that still involves ASLEF making arrangements to the detriment of the grade anyway (as evidenced by the GTR agreement) but there is a benefit to get them inside the week. I do like a true 4 day week. It's a great bargaining chip for the Unions so I'm always surprised the TOCs are adverse to grabbing it up but it does mean they need to recruit staff to cover and we all know that they are adverse to increasing the wage budget. A very contentious issue for both sides.

@MatthewS. Thanks for asking. It kinda shows that what they say to the public just might not be exactly what their intent is. I was hoping that they would confirm officially what the PR spin appears to be.

Mathew S

Established Member
Thanks for asking. It kinda shows that what they say to the public just might not be exactly what their intent is. I was hoping that they would confirm officially what the PR spin appears to be.
No problem. My instinct is it was more he didn't want to say anything on the record which might compromise any negotiations. Can't really fault him for that.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
This is not a DOO thread nor one for detailed discussions about Sunday working. It has served its original purpose so now closed.

All off-topic posts have been deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.