• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Quiet Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I think we are. For the avoidance of doubt, it’s all about those parents who can’t control their kids. How dare anyone criticise them and the nuisance they cause to others.

Note there is a big difference between parents who can't/struggle to control their kids in certain situations in spite of absolute best efforts, and parents that can't be bothered to expend energy to attempt to do so at all in any situation.

Many non-parents see the former but assume the latter.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Note there is a big difference between parents who can't/struggle to control their kids in certain situations in spite of absolute best efforts, and parents that can't be bothered to expend energy to attempt to do so at all in any situation.

The supermarkets of MK (a very demographically mixed place) primarily seem to contain the latter.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
This whole thread has made me appreciate we should all be glad Quiet Zones on Aircraft have never been a thing. Barely a flight would go by without a punch-up over one...

The supermarkets of MK (a very demographically mixed place) primarily seem to contain the latter.

I suspect there's a heck of a lot of confirmation bias involved in that statement!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This whole thread has made me appreciate we should all be glad Quiet Zones on Aircraft have never been a thing. Barely a flight would go by without a punch-up over one...

I suspect there's a heck of a lot of confirmation bias involved in that statement!

How do you think I formed the opinion, though?

kristiang85

Established Member

I flew Air Asia last year and behind Business there was an enforced Quiet Zone, which also prohibited children sitting there. There was absolutely no problem at all, it was a wonderfully quiet flight. But generally in Asia quietness on public transport is respected (Japanese trains are wonderful for that, the whole thing is a quiet zone) - in Europe it wouldn't work as well. I'm not sure Ryanair having a quiet zone would work as well! :D

bramling

Veteran Member

At the end of the day the end result is the same, a nuisance. There’s places where it’s reasonable to expect such a nuisance, a quiet carriage not being one of them. So if people are finding themselves getting dirty looks then maybe they should sit somewhere else. I tend to agree with Bletchleyite that a supermarket isn’t one of those locations either, though I tend to do my shopping late evening when it isn’t really an issue.

Same with hotels, I don’t expect to be disturbed by a screaming baby, although that’s the hotel’s problem not the culprit.

Darandio

Established Member
I'm booked in a quiet coach this week with three children, the youngest being six. Cannot wait.

boxy321

I've always assumed that they like to pretend that they're on The Apprentice*. They seem unaware of the fact that the "competitors" on that ”show” are without exception imbecilic t0553rs, so by trying to emulate them they make themselves look like imbeciles too.

* Of course the only reason they do that is because it's the only way that the TV crew can capture both parties' moronic wibbling. Not because it's actually in any way "cool", but simply because of the technical limitations of the medium on which they've chosen to exhibit their unparalleled plonkerhood. Why does the Beeb persist in making that wretched excuse for entertainment anyway?
But that was the reason I loved watching the original Crystal Maze. Take a look at the out-takes to see the behind the scenes crew going mental at the contestants' stupidity!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
But that was the reason I loved watching the original Crystal Maze. Take a look at the out-takes to see the behind the scenes crew going mental at the contestants' stupidity!

Have a go at it at the London or Manchester site. It's not cheap, but it is a lot of fun (and genuinely feels like the real thing) - and makes you understand just how short 2/3 minutes are! :)

Bikeman78

Established Member
Because, you know, it helps get children used to the idea of travelling and how to behave. As well as getting used to other places and cultures (alot of British people would benefit from that right now). Are you saying families shouldn't take holidays together?! Or should we all be hermits and keep out of your way?

Fact is children of a certain age scream when they're not happy in lots of different situations, in spite of the parent(s)' best efforts. Deal with it - you were that age once too.

A month ago we went to New York with young kids. The four year old was thrilled with the trip from start to finish. I think she'd happily go back tomorrow. Ironically our two year old had his biggest tantrum on the bus journey to the station. On the flight back he was asleep after 30 minutes and slept throughout. I had to wake him up at Heathrow. The down side was that he was full of energy on the train home and I was shattered having had maybe 30 minutes sleep.

Bikeman78

Established Member
My 2 year old is more scared of handdryers in toilets than he is getting on a plane.

Calling it "cruelty" is, frankly, ludicrous.
That's funny, my two year old was terrified of them as well. Around two months ago he suddenly started liking them. Now he asks to go to the toilet to see the hand dryer.

js1000

Quiet coaches are generally the quietest coaches, so are far easier to get a seat in. A silly policy having quiet coaches in my opinion, and causes more issues than it solves. XC were very sensible to get rid of it on virtually all their trains.
Agreed. Been hoping Virgin would be getting rid of the quiet coach for years.

My experience is that it just becomes hijacked by morons who think a "quiet" coach is a "silent" one and no one is allowed to even whisper anything to anyone else. I've been confronted multiple times just for saying something quietly to the person next to me who I happened to be travelling with. Ultimately, it just causes more trouble than it's worth as you say and all TOCs would be wise to abolish designated quiet coaches.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think the best plan is to get rid of it, but add notices in other coaches reminding people to be considerate, e.g. to take long phone calls in the vestibule and not to play any kind of device out loud.

Adsy125

I think on any train with 5 or more coaches it makes sense to have a quiet coach, anything shorter and it gets a bit silly, like the quiet half a carriage on SWR 158s. However as long as it’s clear that it is a quiet coach, no audible electronic sounds and only quiet whispering I don’t see any problems. SWR did a survey on what people thought of them. Although it seemed biased against them people still voted in favour.

If you don’t like them, there are other carriages!

GrimShady

Established Member
What I can't understand is why people would bring small children into First Class. I've lost count of the number of week day trips ruined by babies screaming at the top of their lungs or children running riot. One particular joy was having to endure a nappy changing not far away from where I was sitting.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What I can't understand is why people would bring small children into First Class. I've lost count of the number of week day trips ruined by babies screaming at the top of their lungs or children running riot. One particular joy was having to endure a nappy not far away from where I was sitting.

Children shouldn't be "running riot" in any class (though I must admit I think long trains like VTWC Pendolinos should have a "family coach" with lots of tables and a play area like the Swiss do). As for nappies, take spares and change them on the train, the large bog usually has a changing table.

GrimShady

Established Member
Children shouldn't be "running riot" in any class (though I must admit I think long trains like VTWC Pendolinos should have a "family coach" with lots of tables and a play area like the Swiss do). As for nappies, take spares and change them on the train, the large bog usually has a changing table.

Child free coach would be nice! :lol:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
What I can't understand is why people would bring small children into First Class. I've lost count of the number of week day trips ruined by babies screaming at the top of their lungs or children running riot. One particular joy was having to endure a nappy changing not far away from where I was sitting.

I have had to change nappies in the vestibule when he changing facility is out of order.

Any sane parent will always take spare nappies. But again, assumes the bog isn't locked out of order...

But some modern trains (e.g. IETs) now have fold down tables even in the small loos.

Also German ICEs have a Kleinkindbereich (Toddler Compartment) adjacent to the buffet, which is a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.