• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Radstock. Coal Mines, Inlcines & Tramway Walks Updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill EWS

It's been nice to get back to outings visiting the old coal mines and their tramways in and around Radstock once again.
I have completed the mines in Radstock with only a few to cover around Midsomer Norton. They were all under
the Radstock Coalmine sector and most connected by narrow or standard gauge tramways or tunnels below ground.

Sadly, there are few photographs of the mines or their trains as they closed many years ago now but it is still interesting
searching their remains. Interesting too is that most of the tramways are still walkable today, including their numerous
inclines and make for very enjoyable walks in pleasant countryside.

I have completed six sections either adding further photographs to present ones or forming completely new walks. These
are: links 3 Foxcote Colliery & Incline, 4 & 5. Lower Writhlington to Upper Writhlington & Incline, Huish Colliery & Incline,
11. Middle Pit, Clandown Colliery & Incline and 12. Wellsway Colliery & Incline.

I hope that you find something of interest. Link below.

Radstock Coal mines and their Railways

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bill EWS

It's been nice to get back to outings visiting the old coal mines and their tramways in and around Radstock once again.
I have completed the mines in Radstock with only a few to cover around Midsomer Norton. They were all under
the Radstock Coalmine sector and most connected by narrow or standard gauge tramways or tunnels below ground.

Sadly, there are few photographs of the mines or their trains as they closed many years ago now but it is still interesting
searching their remains. Interesting too is that most of the tramways are still walkable today, including their numerous
inclines and make for very enjoyable walks in pleasant countryside.

I have completed six sections either adding further photographs to present ones or forming completely new walks. These
are: links 3 Foxcote Colliery & Incline, 4 & 5. Lower Writhlington to Upper Writhlington & Incline, Huish Colliery & Incline,
11. Middle Pit, Clandown Colliery & Incline and 12. Wellsway Colliery & Incline.

I hope that you find something of interest. Link below.

Here is a link that should work directly....

Radstock Coal Mines and their railways

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very interesting Bill. We did a forum walk around Radstock recently and I took an old map of the area to try and work out what was still around. Your photos have filled in a lot of blanks so thanks for posting them.

malc-c

Brings back memories. My Aunt lived in Foss Way, around a mile from Radstock town centre. We would spend two weeks staying with her when I was a kid, and at that time the level crossing in the town was still used (mid - late 60's). I Knew the area was full of coal mines as my aunts flat was in the shadow of a large slag heap, but it wasn't until later in life the extent of mining was prevalent. Thanks for the links, I will spend a good few hours reading later this evening !

Bill EWS

I found that I had not updated link 8. Ludlow Colliery to Mount Peasant Coal Depot. This has now been completed.

Bill EWS

Found a serious mistake in regards to the Wellsway Colliery branch and another branch that went to a quarry near Welton Colliery. Please ignore the information for Wellsway Colliery. I will try to get the updates completed before too long but it requires another visit to both areas for some photographs to go with it. I didn't realise that there were four separate railways running out of Radstock westwards and got two branches mixed up.

Bill EWS

Thanks for your comments, Malc-c and Cowley. It's nice to hear some personal contacts with these branches. The problem with the Wellsway section is not the actual information but the fact that the branch wasn't linked to the S&DR but was a GWR connection and for some reason I didn't notice this when I first began learning about the colliery branches in and around Radstock. The second branch is a bit of a puzzle as it was just a single track that ended at a stop block short of Old Welton Colliery with no sidings or run round for locos. I have not seen any information or even a name for this branch. From the maps and Google Earth it looks as i there may have been a small quarry at that spot. It was an expensive build at the Radstock end as it burrowed below the main road by the station and twice below the S&DR and then below the GWR all in quite a short distance. I haven't even found a name for this branch. Whatever, perhaps I will find more information in due course.

Bill EWS

I have corrected the error in mistaking two branches as one and they are now represented as two individual branches. These are at Link 12 and 13. The Wellsway colliery branch and Incline and a branch that ended as a single line stop block near Old Welton Colliery. I have not been able to find a name for this branch or what sort of traffic ran on it. I refer to this as the "quarry" branch just for continuity but have since learned that there wasn't a quarry there. There was a sewage plant that no longer exists but don't think that was linked to the branch. There were no sidings or run-round loop. Whatever, this concludes all the branches and collieries in Radstock but leaves a few around Midsomer Norton for further visits.

There has also been some additions and updates to other links.

Status
Not open for further replies.