• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rag and bone men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We still have them both at home and where I lived during my Uni time. They normally come around every week or so.

Yew

Established Member
We had a guy with a horse collecting washing machines and the like when I was young. Unfortunately I fear he has been replaced by a guy with a transit van

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
We have a similar guy round here in a crappy pickup that wakes you up at six in the morning screaming "DOES ANYBODY WANT SCRAP IRON" and he is bloody annoying

Darandio

Established Member
We have one who comes around weekly, I presume it's probably the same one that Ainsworth hears at home. They shout all sorts of variations of Rag and Bone though.

"Radalmibooooo"

Swr28

Thank you for the early replies, i didn't think they where still around in so many places. Sadly the horse and carts have long gone.

Last edited:

Rugd1022

We have one round here who's notorious for poking his nose in where it's not wanted... whenever he comes past my house he slows right down to have a look at the tax discs in my car's windscreens. I came home from a night shift once to find him on my drive, kneeling down to have a look under my Rover P6!

Established Member
See them all the time getting pulled over by the rozzers checking if they have the appropriate licence.

Was once driving back from Leeds and unfortunately had to follow one of their Transit vans for a bit. Went over a bump in the road, and part of an old washing machine came loose and nearly hit the car. Don't think I've sworn as much as I did in the next two minutes after it happened.

caliwag

Bet you they are still in Hull...including the nag. very useful, as you say old washing machines, bike frames, cookers, all bits an bobs...

Randboooo, much like our Redcar correspondant, Darandio! Interesting.

Johnuk123

Established Member
Unfortunately the traditional rag and bone men have had had the majority of their business taken away from them by the so called "travellers"

The old days of the scrap man taking away your old cooker for a few quid are largely gone.

They have been replaced by a bunch of criminals who will steal anything that isn't screwed down, and some stuff that is.

They saw an excellent way of making a tax free income by poking in peoples back gardens and taking anything of value.

They are major players in the stolen metal business and are behind a massive amount of the railway cable thefts.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
We have one round here who's notorious for poking his nose in where it's not wanted... whenever he comes past my house he slows right down to have a look at the tax discs in my car's windscreens. I came home from a night shift once to find him on my drive, kneeling down to have a look under my Rover P6!

Looking for a cat no doubt but not the feline type.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Bet you they are still in Hull...including the nag.

Well as much as I normally like riding to the defence of Hull, in this case you're not wrong. I used to see one around Cottingham (just outside of Hull but these days attached due to housing creep) and he does indeed still use a horse drawn cart to carry his acquisitions around.

SS4

Established Member
We seem to get one daily. It's got to the point where I'm considering putting in a noise complaint to the council

tigerroar

On Moderation
Unfortunately the traditional rag and bone men have had had the majority of their business taken away from them by the so called "travellers"

The old days of the scrap man taking away your old cooker for a few quid are largely gone.

They have been replaced by a bunch of criminals who will steal anything that isn't screwed down, and some stuff that is.

They saw an excellent way of making a tax free income by poking in peoples back gardens and taking anything of value.

They are major players in the stolen metal business and are behind a massive amount of the railway cable thefts.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Looking for a cat no doubt but not the feline type.

This is so true, we have them around here too. They'll just help themselves to anything.

Tracked

Established Member
there's one that comes round here shouting "rag & bone" from the back of a van, not like the one with the handcart from when I was a lad, that's progress :roll: ;)

deltic1989

Established Member
We sometimes geta lovely irish guy come round every so often, ever such a chatty guy.
A couple of weeks ago he loved us as we got rid of our old tumble dryer, washing machine, and cooker and replaced them. Him and his gang came down singing as they loaded it all into an old sherpa van.

michael769

Established Member
They came round when I was a kid. Locally they used a bugle to signal their arrival. They took old clothes, books, scrap metal and domestic appliances.

In return they would give the kids balloons and the adults who went out would get clothpegs.

es373

However gritty these people are, they save you a shed load in having to pay for the disposal of fridges, freezers, washing machines etc!

richw

Veteran Member
However gritty these people are, they save you a shed load in having to pay for the disposal of fridges, freezers, washing machines etc!

There is never reason to pay for disposal of these items. Scrap metal dealers will pay you for the items.
These guys effectively are charging you for the service as they keep the proceeds from selling to scrap metal companies

I know these did exist, however does anyone have any memories or photos to share, and do they still exist?

They occasionally make an appearance in this corner of Leeds:lol: The last one I saw had a redundant washing machine on his cart (and yes it was horse drawn).

IanD

Established Member
We just have the scrap fairies in Walthamstow. Put something outside the front of your house and it magically disappears within half an hour. New neighbours for some reason (and against my advice) put their radiators outside whilst they painted/platered the walls - never saw them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.