• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail careers with degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hubert_F

Hi, long time lurker on the forums and apologise for the wierd question: I am thinking of studying for a degree but not sure which career path to take:
1) Study electrical engineering and apply for the Network Rail graduate course

OR

2) Study mathematics and go into train planning

I enjoy science but enjoy studying mathematics.

Questions:
1) If I go for the Network Rail graduate course, what would the career path be and would my job options be?

2) If I go into train planning, is there much of a career in this?

3) Are there many careers on the railways where a mathematics degree would be useful?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

telstarbox

Established Member
Welcome Hubert.

At this stage are you keen on specifically working as an electrical engineer or train planner, or just working in something railway-related? There are various graduate routes into the railway both with Network Rail and other companies. Some require specific subjects (eg Civils, Electrical Engineering) and others are more open.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you want to do train planning then go for it. With Mathematics it does leave your options open for yield analysis, business analysis, finance and so on, and of course General Management for which your degree is not too relevant but more your personal skills.

Of course for either I'd only study that degree if you think you'd be any good at it - a 2:1 in Business Studies may stand you a better chance than a third in Mathematics.

Hubert_F

Thanks for the advice, most likely I will take the mathematics route but worried the availability of the planning roll.

Eventually, I would love to go into timetabling or planning but unfortunately, I can not see any Network Rail Graduate schemes for these.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Safety

With a mathematics degree, if it were to include mathematic modelling, would be useful in risk modelling of which there is currently a shortage of people.

AeroSpace

Option number 3) Study mathematics and go into transport consultancy

e.g. Steer Davies Gleave

You'll be paid a lot more!

telstarbox

Established Member
Not necessarily ;)

You can go into transport consulting/planning with most degrees where there is a maths or stats element though.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I believe Network Rail pays quite well for train planners, but someone posted here that the turnover is quite high. And you'd probably have to work in Milton Keynes.

However I'd be slightly cautious about setting your heart on that as a career unless you know what you are getting into. I've done a little and it's a job that requires a certain mindset which some people just drop into and others really struggle with, which may explain the high turnover noted above.

A few places now do degrees in railway engineering or railway operations, which may also be worth looking at. Institution of Railway Operators may also be relevant (http://www.railwayoperators.co.uk/).

On the other hand a general engineering degree, not specific to railways and not necessarily even specific to a particular engineering discipline, does open up a wide range of careers within and outside the railway. Quite a lot of engineering graduates also go into non-engineering employment as many employers see it is a good grounding for other stuff.

telstarbox

Established Member
The trouble with doing a specific railway degree is that it limits your options later if you decide it isn't for you, whereas Maths or Electrical Engineering would open a lot more doors for the OP.

Hubert_F

I believe Network Rail pays quite well for train planners, but someone posted here that the turnover is quite high. And you'd probably have to work in Milton Keynes.

However I'd be slightly cautious about setting your heart on that as a career unless you know what you are getting into. I've done a little and it's a job that requires a certain mindset which some people just drop into and others really struggle with, which may explain the high turnover noted above.

A few places now do degrees in railway engineering or railway operations, which may also be worth looking at. Institution of Railway Operators may also be relevant (http://www.railwayoperators.co.uk/).

On the other hand a general engineering degree, not specific to railways and not necessarily even specific to a particular engineering discipline, does open up a wide range of careers within and outside the railway. Quite a lot of engineering graduates also go into non-engineering employment as many employers see it is a good grounding for other stuff.

As a general comment, pursuing a mathematics degree is my first choice and train planning does sound interesting. Thanks for quick responses. :)

Edwin_M To get more of an idea, you said you done a little train planning, what were the tasks done and what did they have to deal with?

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member

No probably about it, it is MK or nowt I am afraid (unless you land a TOC planner job, and normally the queue is full of NR planners trying to get them)

That is very true, it is one of those jobs you either "get" and enjoy or just see it as lines on a graph and dull. I'd also argue the need for a maths or engineering degree to get in, that is nonsense in my opinion. To be fair, you just need an aptitude for problem solving, there is no mathmatics involved at all as the software does it all (well, tries to...).

The graduate program is a fast track management thing, you wouldn't need that either, you could just walk straight through the door considering the constant recruitment campaign. Career wise it is a bit of a case of "dead mans shoes" and if you start rising through the ranks planning goes out the window and you manage staff, customers and firefight more than anything. Money wise it is early to mid twenties for a new starter.

Hubert_F

Thanks for the advice, I have applied to study mathematics anyway since I really enjoy it (and always wanted to take it to degree level) but did not know how useful it would be in the railway industry.
Thank you "The Planner" for the frank overview.
Thanks for the quick responses.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
As a general comment, pursuing a mathematics degree is my first choice and train planning does sound interesting. Thanks for quick responses. :)

Edwin_M To get more of an idea, you said you done a little train planning, what were the tasks done and what did they have to deal with?

I think "The Planner" has answered more effectively than I could. I work for a consultant and do a range of tasks including working out journey times and developing timetables, but usually just at an early stage for feasibility studies etc. NR needs to do the much more detailed work that is necessary to produce a timetable that works on the day.

mjpalin

Hi Hubert - the General Management scheme with Network Rail would be the one to consider if you want to go into either timetabling or planning. You can choose to either be route based or central (e.g Milton Keynes)

Status
Not open for further replies.