• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail electrification possible for 95% of UK freight trains, CILT research reveals

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Is this actually technically true? If the wire was at max height like for level crossings, and the structures on the far side, is there enough physical space for a reach stacker to lift a container?
Obviously it would be a bit niche as it would be a container terminal with where the reach stackers only do the nearest track (how do they see what they are doing on the far track?!)
I'm no electrician but I'm guessing H&S would demand isolation of the line during loading/unloading and that might mean a neutral section in an impossible position for locos trying to pull away??
No, the reach stacker arm could not lift the container clear of the wagon without contacting the wire, unless it raised beyond the max pantograph height.
Options are the swing able OLE used in 80x depots and trialled at Wellingborough, some kind of demountable OLE, or having unwired roads.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Annetts key

Established Member
I would have thought that the most practical system would be to have the container loading/unloading lines left without OHL. And to use a separate shunting / yard locomotive. This shunter could be battery powered.

Advantages:
  • No need to wire up the any of the container loading/unloading lines, reducing cost and no problem with additional risks from a OHL system,
  • No need to wire up stabling, storage or cripple sidings (saving money)
  • Electric OHL traction can still be used for main line operations.
The reception line and departure line, do need to be wired for OHL. As does any sidings where the main line electric locomotive will be stabled.

Obviously, there is one disadvantage, a suitable battery powered shunting loco is needed, along with a charging point for it.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I would have thought that the most practical system would be to have the container loading/unloading lines left without OHL. And to use a separate shunting / yard locomotive. This shunter could be battery powered.

Advantages:
  • No need to wire up the any of the container loading/unloading lines, reducing cost and no problem with additional risks from a OHL system,
  • No need to wire up stabling, storage or cripple sidings (saving money)
  • Electric OHL traction can still be used for main line operations.
The reception line and departure line, do need to be wired for OHL. As does any sidings where the main line electric locomotive will be stabled.

Obviously, there is one disadvantage, a suitable battery powered shunting loco is needed, along with a charging point for it.
If you've got the room for it, the best option would be to have an Arrival/Departure line before the fan, where the electric can runround then push the wagons onto the loading pad. Or just fit a battery in. Electric freight only really needs enough length so that trains can get clear of the main line before switching to secondary power, or be able to wait for the road under OLE power.

Meerkat

Established Member
Wasn't someone doing a battery conversion for 08s?
How much power and traction does a shunter need to move a train at fast walking pace - are rubber tyres sufficient? Just wondering whether the tugs used for moving containers around terminals or even a dual use reach stacker (they must be pretty heavy) could do it.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Wasn't someone doing a battery conversion for 08s?
How much power and traction does a shunter need to move a train at fast walking pace - are rubber tyres sufficient? Just wondering whether the tugs used for moving containers around terminals or even a dual use reach stacker (they must be pretty heavy) could do it.
You might be able to use a unimog or equivalent to do so - the US uses them for shunting single-figure rakes of wagons around industrial units. However you also need the brake force to stop the wagons, which is why you can't just buffer up and send a wagon rolling over the hump.

SynthD

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. OLE on it's own can't raise linespeeds, however you can have simpler OLE for lower linespeeds. The cost savings depend on the speed difference - 'Tram' type OLE (Single wire, no droppers etc) is relatively cheap but can't go fast at all. OLE limited to 100mph can have smaller bracing and lower tensions, but the cost savings are less.
Can you connect OLE designs for different speeds? To put it another way, the electrified main lines are not 125mph in the terminal stations. Is the OLE in the station only capable of the speeds trains should be doing there? When I word it like that it seems obvious.

Meerkat

Established Member
You might be able to use a unimog or equivalent to do so - the US uses them for shunting single-figure rakes of wagons around industrial units. However you also need the brake force to stop the wagons, which is why you can't just buffer up and send a wagon rolling over the hump.
Good point, forgot about braking! Do shunters (eg 08) have to connect the brakes in yards, or do they rely on the shunter's brakes until someone puts the handbrakes on?
Can't we have chaps in flat caps running alongside moving wagons and jumping on the brake levers to slow the wagons down any more? :lol:

zwk500

Veteran Member
Can you connect OLE designs for different speeds? To put it another way, the electrified main lines are not 125mph in the terminal stations. Is the OLE in the station only capable of the speeds trains should be doing there? When I word it like that it seems obvious.
Essentially, yes you can. You may need an extra OHNS or more tension lengths than necessary to manage the different tensions and bracing arrangements but it's possible. At a station due to the pointwork and so on you'll have separate tension lengths anyway, and you can see that terminal platforms are not braced and tensioned to the same standards as on the full 125mph line.

One example is the MML - The wires limit the top speed south of Bedford to 100mph despite the linespeed allowing 110mph. North of Bedford both Linespeed and OLE are capable of >100mph.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Hmm, I think it depends on where you are. In some areas, freight traffic has increased, while in other areas, it has decreased.

The railways attitude to freight has also changed over the years. Not always to the better (loss of the Royal Mail trains for example).

And some urgent high priority freight trains did indeed have a higher priority than some passenger trains (a gas train used to run, back when we exported gas, as it had to get to a port, if it missed its scheduled time, as I understand it, the delay was costly, as the ship had to wait for the next tide).

In the late 1980s, once, while waiting for access to work on the line at night, we had to wait for fourteen freight trains to go through.

I’ve not seen a similar number of freight trains on that line in recent years.

Now, I don’t know if some of the trains in the earlier case were diverted, and the above is obviously very far from the big picture (if anyone knows how BR in the late 1980s compares to today, I would welcome you posting the figures).

[SNIP]
Various factors come into play. Most obviously massive amounts of coal traffic have gone for ever, turning some once-busy parts of the network into freight deserts. More generally there has been a trend to longer/ heavier trains, so you might see 'less' freight but its still moving, in far fewer trains.

It is interesting to look at the level of 'Other' freight (not coal) over the years. Here again there have been many changes with things like reductions in steel traffic, a rise and then fall in petroleum, and the more recent growth of the intermodal and construction sectors.

Ignoring the Second World War some snapshots are:

OTHER FREIGHT ACTIVITY
1938 - 13,347 mtkm (pre-war nadir)
1951 - 20,018 mtkm (nationalised BR peak)
1963 - 12,395 mtkm (before Beeching reforms took effect)
1970 - 16,589 mtkm (full fruit of Beeching reforms)
1982/83 - 10,700 mtkm (after major collapse of steel industry and many rail strikes)
1995/96 - 9,700 mtkm (pre-privatisation nadir after recession, closure of Speedlink, signaller strikes, etc.)
2021/22 - 16,560 mtkm (after massive growth during privatised and competitive era). Almost matching 1970 peak and higher than 1938.

A real roller-coaster ride.

(I'd love to hear more about the gas train. Wasn't aware that Britain had ever exported (presumably liquefied) gas after moving it by rail rather than pipeline.)

Nottingham59

Established Member
How much power and traction does a shunter need to move a train at fast walking pace - are rubber tyres sufficient?
Very little power is needed to accelerate a train to walking pace on level track. Have a look the specifications for Clayton's range of battery shunters.
Clayton has the most comprehensive range of battery and hybrid locomotives on the market, available from 1.75 to 150 tonnes. With numerous motor, controller and locomotive design options, we can manufacture a machine ideal for your application.

Annetts key

Established Member
(I'd love to hear more about the gas train. Wasn't aware that Britain had ever exported (presumably liquefied) gas after moving it by rail rather than pipeline.)
The trains destination was Avonmouth Docks. Unfortunately, I can’t remember much more about it.

DerekC

Established Member
Has the railway demonstrated it can maintain that pace?

And note that this report demands the creation of a new electrification standard for low speed operation that would render it of very little value to passenger operations.
It does strike me that this proposal is realistic in terms of both spend profile and rate of electrification. And I suspect that in re-thinking our railway for the post-Covid, low carbon, automated road transport world we are going to find that the principal value streams are freight and transport between, into and around cities. So electrification for freight on routes with low passenger usage may make complete sense. And in any case, if secondary route passenger does survive, why can't a three-car EMU (which is what most of the secondary routes posted for electrification in this study have) trundle along happily at 75mph on the infrastructure installed for heavy freight!

zwk500

Veteran Member
It does strike me that this proposal is realistic in terms of both spend profile and rate of electrification.
It really isn't. We've laboured badly to provide even 100 route miles of the GWML electrification.
And I suspect that in re-thinking our railway for the post-Covid, low carbon, automated road transport world we are going to find that the principal value streams are freight and transport between, into and around cities.
Yes
So electrification for freight on routes with low passenger usage may make complete sense.
No, this is where batteries come in
And in any case, if secondary route passenger does survive, why can't a three-car EMU (which is what most of the secondary routes posted for electrification in this study have) trundle along happily at 75mph on the infrastructure installed for heavy freight!
It can easily do this, if this provides the service people want.

hooverboy

On Moderation
Probably so, but there are some oddities that might encourage them to do something else.

Profit maximisation is not necessarily legally obligated, a 'green' investment fund shareholder might support switching to electric traction to reduce pollution rather than maximise absolute profits. This might get more investors and increase the fee income for the investment fund
or the fees might be higher because they are a 'green' fund.

Or the operator might see a competitive advantage in getting customers from (say) a supermarket by polishing its green credentials. It might even be able to charge a premium to, say, tesco for using only electric traction...

(Maybe)
Indeed.
ESG scores in the business world are likely to become more important,so there is potentially more investor backing of companies that can do good green initiatives,or at least put out a good sales pitch that they are.

Annetts key

Established Member
We've laboured badly to provide even 100 route miles of the GWML electrification.
That’s more because “we” tackled it like a bunch of rank amateurs. With a lack of understanding what was involved, a lack of investigating the existing infrastructure and ground conditions, mismanagement and incompetence, plus a totally unrealistic timetable of works (which also did not take enough account of normal maintenance and existing infrastructure renewal works).

But it’s been discussed elsewhere, so I’ll leave it there.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
It does strike me that this proposal is realistic in terms of both spend profile and rate of electrification.
I have yet to see any real evidence of this though.
The industry has botched virtually every major infrastructure programme since privatisation.

Why should this one be different?

And I suspect that in re-thinking our railway for the post-Covid, low carbon, automated road transport world we are going to find that the principal value streams are freight and transport between, into and around cities.
Why will automated road transport destroy passenger traffic but not freight operations?
Freight operations are far more vulnerable to automation given that they are not as speed concious.

The railway has a passenger product that road transport can struggle to match - high capacity, reliable, comparatively high speed passenger transport for bulk transport flows.
Freight has no such thing.

This is not America, the reality is that freight services are amongst the least renumerative traffic the industry has. It could not be otherwise or the traffic would be lost to the roads.
And in any case, if secondary route passenger does survive, why can't a three-car EMU (which is what most of the secondary routes posted for electrification in this study have) trundle along happily at 75mph on the infrastructure installed for heavy freight!
Because it is hopelessly uneconomic?
Noone would use that service.

DerekC

Established Member
No, this is where batteries come in
Freight haul at any speed demands a heck of a lot of energy. OK, so regenerative braking gets some of it back, but I suspect that batteries would need to achieve another order of magnitude improvement in energy density to cope with the off-wire sections of Felixstowe - Nuneaton, for example.
I have yet to see any real evidence of this though.
The industry has botched virtually every major infrastructure programme since privatisation.

Why should this one be different?
Because the railway cannot just try to stay as it is for ever - it has to change or cease to be relevant.
Why will automated road transport destroy passenger traffic but not freight operations?
Freight operations are far more vulnerable to automation given that they are not as speed concious.
Because rail has a much bigger inherent energy efficiency advantage for freight.
The railway has a passenger product that road transport can struggle to match - high capacity, reliable, comparatively high speed passenger transport for bulk transport flows.
That's right - which is why city to city and city to surrounding urban area passenger flows will survive, but secondary and rural routes won't
Freight has no such thing.
It does, for bulk flows - and better road/rail integration would make the minimum economic rail haul shorter for intermodal as well.
This is not America, the reality is that freight services are amongst the least renumerative traffic the industry has. It could not be otherwise or the traffic would be lost to the roads.
That's partly because the UK railway is optimised for passenger traffic and freight has to just fit in round it. And as energy costs increase rail freight gets more economic.
Because it is hopelessly uneconomic?
Noone would use that service.
The point somebody was making was that you shouldn't electrify secondary routes to freight standards because it wouldn't suit passenger traffic. If there ceases to be any secondary passenger traffic the problem goes away! In fact I am not all that convinced by the "cheap electrification for freight" idea. Power draws aren't going to be that different. Is speed alone such a big factor in cost? I am not an OLE engineer - maybe there is someone out there who can tell us.

Meerkat

Established Member
That's partly because the UK railway is optimised for passenger traffic and freight has to just fit in round it. And as energy costs increase rail freight gets more economic.
Will struggle to overcome the basic geography of our island being rather small, and freight flows being from all over the place to all over the place.
The one (big!) thing that could significantly increase freight would be if Channel Tunnel freight became easier, lengthening distances considerably.

Speed43125

Will struggle to overcome the basic geography of our island being rather small, and freight flows being from all over the place to all over the place.
The one (big!) thing that could significantly increase freight would be if Channel Tunnel freight became easier, lengthening distances considerably.
Channel Tunnel is perhaps the only place in the 'UK' where freight moving at >75mph might make a meaningful benefit to pathing. But I suspect the access charges would still remain high.

Obviously if we got rid of those pesky Eurostars we might have an easier time pathing stuff down HS1 as well.

However, what bulk flows are there that we could tap into by running freight from Europe anyway?

Meerkat

Established Member
However, what bulk flows are there that we could tap into by running freight from Europe anyway?
There must be some decent flows amongst the 2 million trucks that go through Dover every year.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Because the railway cannot just try to stay as it is for ever - it has to change or cease to be relevant.
Having to change does not mean that any change is good though! Freight is a hopelessly unrenumerative flow for the railway and this isn't going to change without epochal changes in both the economy and the wider logistics industry. And those changes are probably not going to happen.

I agree that the railway must change, but the changes I propose are pretty much in the opposite direction. Continuing the trend towards metro-isation of the entire railway, clockface timetables, intensive operations with high performance multiple units and lightest possible staffing using advanced technology to fill the gaps.
Because rail has a much bigger inherent energy efficiency advantage for freight.
Electrification of road freight is going to put energy costs through the floor, even with the current elevated electricity price. Remember that road freight already pays far more for fuel than diesel rail operations given that railfreight doesn't have to pay the bulk of the tax on diesel.
Electricity prices could do something like double from here and still be competitive with the price road hauliers pay for fuel today!

And most long term projections of electricity prices have costs going down from here, not up.
That's right - which is why city to city and city to surrounding urban area passenger flows will survive, but secondary and rural routes won't
Once you remove all sections of railway that fit "city to city" and "city to surrounding urban areas" definitions from the rail system, there is precious little left!
And most of what remains is of questionable, if any, use for rail freight operations.

As it stands, rural passenger traffic is probably still more renumerative for the railway infrastructure than freight operations are
It does, for bulk flows - and better road/rail integration would make the minimum economic rail haul shorter for intermodal as well.
The only real way to improve road/rail integration would be a rolling highway/TOFC, and that unfortunately is not going to happen given our loading gauge limitations. Otherwise you have the fundamental cost of lifting a container and putting it on a trailer, which costs money, requires staff and requires fixed capital equipment.
That's partly because the UK railway is optimised for passenger traffic and freight has to just fit in round it.
Why would we optimise for a traffic category that provides about 0.6% of Network Rail's revenue? Even if freight traffic went up by an order of magnitude it would still not pay a nationally significant amount without large increases in the payment per tonne-km, and freight fundamentally can't bear such an increase in costs.

There must be some decent flows amongst the 2 million trucks that go through Dover every year.
Now if HS1 had been built to the loading guage of the Chunnel itself we could make an argument for running Chunnel shuttles direct from the M25 to Calais, but it wasn't so we can't!

Last edited:

Annetts key

Established Member
Continuing the trend towards metro-isation of the entire railway
What does that actually mean? This word “metro” keeps being banded around as if it’s something new. It’s not. And neither are trains that run in urban areas.

We should be improving track quality and route availability so that there are less restrictions on train types, as well as improving the passenger experience.

clockface timetables
While I generally agree, there should be some gaps. As this is the only realistic way that maintenance staff can get in at busy junctions if there is a failure. Unless you want every single train going over the junction to be delayed until the middle of the night…

intensive operations with high performance multiple units and lightest possible staffing using advanced technology to fill the gaps.
Isn’t that your metro-isation?
Have you not noticed that with less staff, when it does go wrong, it goes far more pear shaped than if you have some actual experienced staff around to help sort things out? Plus, with the general population getting older, and the requirements to help the disabled, it’s preferable to not cut staff.

Advanced technology can’t currently fix itself. Indeed, often, when it falls over, it’s often rather terminal.

Electrification of road freight is going to put energy costs through the floor, even with the current elevated electricity price. Remember that road freight already pays far more for fuel than diesel rail operations given that railfreight doesn't have to pay the bulk of the tax on diesel.
Electricity prices could do something like double from here and still be competitive with the price road hauliers pay for fuel today!
Hmm, we will have to wait and see. Battery powered delivery lorries currently are generally restricted to use inside cities and urban areas, as they don’t have the range. Plus, it was not that long ago, people on here were arguing that our electricity distribution system won’t be able to cope with private electric cars. So fleets of freight vehicles would be an even greater problem without additional infrastructure.

Once you remove all sections of railway that fit "city to city" and "city to surrounding urban areas" definitions from the rail system, there is precious little left!
And most of what remains is of questionable, if any, use for rail freight operations.

As it stands, rural passenger traffic is probably still more renumerative for the railway infrastructure than freight operations are
Hmm, keep in mind that new lines are currently being built, and new stations are being built on existing lines. People have written off the railways multiple times before…
Yes, there is currently not much investment in new rail freight. But it’s possible that may change in the future.
And if rail freight was so uneconomic, why are there even any lines that are freight only?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I've realised some of my answer to the above question strays a bit far from the topic, but rather than simply delete it I've put it into a spoiler tag. I'd reckon it be best to park that discussion for now to avoid derailing the thread.

While I generally agree, there should be some gaps. As this is the only realistic way that maintenance staff can get in at busy junctions if there is a failure. Unless you want every single train going over the junction to be delayed until the middle of the night…
Engineering of junctions and other infrastructure should avoid single points of failure and generally be engineered to reduce the number of expensive shutdowns.
However, if there is a failure bad enough to stop the job, surely the staff could access it immediatley because there is no traffic preventing them doing so?

Otherwise, a delayed train is infinitely preferable to no train, which is what you would have if you start carving chunks out of the timetable.
However, a metro-ised timetable would tend to have less need for very complex junction infrastructure, since the timetable would necessarily require a comparatively simple set of movements through the junction

EDIT:

And if things are that bad, you can just kill the service through the junction temporarily and advise on alternate routings. Which is far more possible in an all clockface system.
Isn’t that your metro-isation?
Have you not noticed that with less staff, when it does go wrong, it goes far more pear shaped than if you have some actual experienced staff around to help sort things out? Plus, with the general population getting older, and the requirements to help the disabled, it’s preferable to not cut staff.
Staff are expensive, incredibly expensive.
Tolerating occasional failures is preferable to spending vast sums maintaining staff to possibly mitigate some of those problems.

This will become especially true as, as you say, the general population becomes older and less fit. Labour costs are already high and are going to go through the roof.

And ofcourse employing large numbers of staff comes with its own set of problems.

Hmm, we will have to wait and see. Battery powered delivery lorries currently are generally restricted to use inside cities and urban areas, as they don’t have the range. Plus, it was not that long ago, people on here were arguing that our electricity distribution system won’t be able to cope with private electric cars. So fleets of freight vehicles would be an even greater problem without additional infrastructure.
Fuel consumption for freight road vehicles is actually smaller than for private cars.
Even including delivery vans et al its only about a third of total road-based petroleum consumption, the rest is almost entirely private cars (a little is used by things like buses or coaches).
Hmm, keep in mind that new lines are currently being built, and new stations are being built on existing lines. People have written off the railways multiple times before…
Yes, there is currently not much investment in new rail freight. But it’s possible that may change in the future.
And if rail freight was so uneconomic, why are there even any lines that are freight only?
Because subsidies are provided to support freight operations for political reasons.... just like the rest of the railway, but more extreme.

Last edited:

furnessvale

Established Member
Because subsidies are provided to support freight operations for political reasons.... just like the rest of the railway, but more extreme.
Correct. Vast subsidies are provided to ROAD freight operations for political reasons, which far outweigh any given to railfreight, a fact you constantly ignore. This subsidy is in the form of a cross subsidy from the private motorist who pays for the road system that HGVs have virtually free use of.

The small subsidy to rail freight is recognition of its vastly superior ecological footprint, which will not be lost IF long distance electric HGVs ever arrive. It is no use generating renewable energy if we are to squander it on road vehicles which burn 3x as much to get goods from A to B. This is caused by the friction of rubber tyres which, of course cause their own extra problems in rubber debris. We could cure the problem by fitting HGVs with steel wheels and run them on steel rails!:D

busken

Correct. Vast subsidies are provided to ROAD freight operations for political reasons, which far outweigh any given to railfreight, a fact you constantly ignore. This subsidy is in the form of a cross subsidy from the private motorist who pays for the road system that HGVs have virtually free use of.

The small subsidy to rail freight is recognition of its vastly superior ecological footprint, which will not be lost IF long distance electric HGVs ever arrive. It is no use generating renewable energy if we are to squander it on road vehicles which burn 3x as much to get goods from A to B. This is caused by the friction of rubber tyres which, of course cause their own extra problems in rubber debris. We could cure the problem by fitting HGVs with steel wheels and run them on steel rails!:D
I wouldn't call £1,000 vehicle excise duty and £5000 fuel duty per annum free use of the road for an HGV. Rail freight is great for moving bulk loads, aggregate etc, but the majority of freight is small amounts from one place nowhere near a railway to several other places equally nowhere near a railway. My company did try to use rail freight, but by the time you had loaded the lorry and taken it to the nearest rail depot, and then sent another lorry to collect it from its destination and deliver to several different addresses in the locality, it was quicker, easier and cheaper to use one lorry for the whole journey.

furnessvale

Established Member
I wouldn't call £1,000 vehicle excise duty and £5000 fuel duty per annum free use of the road for an HGV. Rail freight is great for moving bulk loads, aggregate etc, but the majority of freight is small amounts from one place nowhere near a railway to several other places equally nowhere near a railway. My company did try to use rail freight, but by the time you had loaded the lorry and taken it to the nearest rail depot, and then sent another lorry to collect it from its destination and deliver to several different addresses in the locality, it was quicker, easier and cheaper to use one lorry for the whole journey.
I said "virtually". £6000pa may sound a lot of money but the turnover pa of the average 44t HGV is over £300,000, so as the entire track access charge it is a bargain.

In the year 2000 the government of the day commissioned a report from NERA on the costs of HGVs to the country. This report clearly demonstrated that a maximum weight HGV did not cover it costs in relation to road provision, even more so if congestion, policing, accidents and pollution were added.

Since then, the only movements in the taxation of HGVs have been reductions. Despite inflation of 74% from 2000 to the present day, vehicle excise duty has been REDUCED and fuel duty has been mainly frozen. This drastically alters the NERA figures such that estimates shows tha HGVs cover about 30% of their costs, the rest being covered by the private motorist.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Taking only two of the taxes paid by HGVs, fuel duty and VAT on fuel raises a very large sum.

In FY2022/2023, total road fuel duties are expected to raise about £25bn. In addition, VAT on fuel is a large sum - it is hard to calculate the whole sum without a price of petrol/diesel. However, taking only the VAT on the duty itself raises that total to at least £30bn.

Approximately one third of all taxable road-use petroleum fuels are used by road frieght vehicles, for at least £10bn raised. And yes, freight operators themselves can reclaim the VAT, but only because they charge that VAT to their customers, so the cost is still added to the cost of road freight, and rail freight only pays 5% VAT on fuel and nothing at all in duty or VAT on that duty.

Government Road spending figures are surprisingly hard to come by. However National Highways receives about £5bn per year, local governments are estimated to spend about £4bn per year. I'm not particularly confident in the accuracy of those figures but it seems total road spending is about £10-12bn, which aligns with a statista claim, although I don't pay for that so I can't see their sources.

In simple terms, if road goods traffic disappeared tomorrow I don't think the government would be particularly better off in simplistic cash terms. There doesn't appear to be a hugely obvious subsidy here, even if all road maintenance is ascribed to freight operations.
In the year 2000 the government of the day commissioned a report from NERA on the costs of HGVs to the country. This report clearly demonstrated that a maximum weight HGV did not cover it costs in relation to road provision, even more so if congestion, policing, accidents and pollution were added.
There are several problems with drawing general conclusions from such a study though.

Firstly, the average age of the UK Large Goods vehicle fleet is only 11 years. The L/HGV fleet that existed in 2000 is not the one that exists today by any stretch of the imagination. Emissions and safety equipment fits have changed rather a lot in that time. A HGV today does far better on an emissions basis than one in the fleet then, and several improvements have been made to HGV safety in that time - for one thing far superior under-run protection on the trailers.

In addition, the average payload in a domestic Large/Heavy Goods vehicle is only 9 tonnes. Almost all modern goods loads cube-out before they tare-out. The only exceptions tend to be things like metals or aggregates or stuff like that.
This is why there is such a drive for longer and taller trailers - to allow HGVs to actually use their tare weight permissions.

Since then, the only movements in the taxation of HGVs have been reductions. Despite inflation of 74% from 2000 to the present day, vehicle excise duty has been REDUCED and fuel duty has been mainly frozen. This drastically alters the NERA figures such that estimates shows tha HGVs cover about 30% of their costs, the rest being covered by the private motorist.
VAT on road fuel has gone up from 17.5% to 20%.

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member
Government Road spending figures are surprisingly hard to come by. However National Highways receives about £5bn per year, local governments are estimated to spend about £4bn per year. I'm not particularly confident in the accuracy of those figures but it seems total road spending is about £10-12bn, which aligns with a statista claim, although I don't pay for that so I can't see their sources.
This is a government spreadsheet for the road maintenance costs in England - https://assets.publishing.service.g...loads/attachment_data/file/775452/rdc0310.ods

Basically in recent years it's been estimated at around £4.2 billion for the 'Local authority roads'. The remainder of the road network in England (basically the trunk motorways and trunk A-roads) is managed by Highways England, which for the year ending March 2021, spent around £2bn on running costs, repairs and 'asset renewal', and around £2bn on 'asset improvement'. Total expenditure was £4.5bn. See https://assets.publishing.service.g...ta/file/1002845/Highways_AR21_Interactive.pdf (warning - it's a 20MB download!).

So call it £9-£10bn in total for England.

...but that's exactly what does happen in a hump sorting yard - then you use retarders in the track beyond the hump to regulate the speed of wagons so (in theory!) they stop at the desired position in the sorting siding.

Once watched it (on an enthusiast visit) happening from the top of the hump in a huge US yard - dump all the air out of the brake system on each wagon in the train, make sure all the handbrakes are off, then push the train up and over the hump slowly. In the US someone pulls the coupler release handle on each wagon as it goes over the hump summit, but I guess in Europe you do the uncoupling before the 'push'.

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
...but that's exactly what does happen in a hump sorting yard - then you use retarders in the track beyond the hump to regulate the speed of wagons so (in theory!) they stop at the desired position in the sorting siding.
But the point is in the UK we don't do hump sorting any more, because of the need to install retarders to regulate the speed of the wagons. The old days of brakeman running after each cut are long gone. Germany and the Netherlands still do hump sorting, but they're managing a much bigger volume of traffic and mix of routings, so the cost of retarders is justified.

AngusH

(You're probably already familiar with these, but I'll add some extra links anyway)

Fortunately new machines are available in a range of sizes and some have
been used in the UK already

Including some advertised with wagon braking

Maximum quoted load seems to be about 1000 tons...

Status
Not open for further replies.