• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail enthusiast lingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekC

Established Member
It's interesting that in about thirty years working in the industry virtually all these terms passed me by! It's obviously a separate world.

PS - From my spotting days in the 1950s I confess to remembering things like "Streaks" (A4s), "Sandies" (B17s). "Bongos" (B1s) and "Coffee Pots" (pretty much anything with less than eight wheels, side tanks and a longer than normal chimney).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
I was hoping for a NB Siphon but got a plug duff instead. Translation - I was hoping for a ride behind a Class 37 locomotive without steam or electric heat and instead got an Electric Heat equipped Class 47 locomotive.
Syphons were named after the 'Syphon G' waggon as the vents looked a bit similar.

xotGD

Established Member
I always thought that Ped was derived from Pedal Car, which offered about as much haulage capability s a Class 31.

If some garbage unit turned up in place of a loco hauled train then it could be described as Plastic. The unlucky basher would be totally withered.

Nobody has mentioned 'fester' yet. To spend an extended period of time waiting somewhere for a train.

And cranks enjoy flailing and bellowing from the front droplight.

berneyarms

Established Member
Nobody has mentioned 'fester' yet. To spend an extended period of time waiting somewhere for a train.
That one really annoys me as I have seen it used as a verb to mean something that it doesn’t actually, and also unbelievably as a noun on these boards.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
TSO, I thought that meant Trailer Second Open, but apparently it also signifies Train-Shaped Object, something on rails but not quite a proper train as we used to know them. In use since 1968 at least, quite likely since 1923 or even1892.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
always thought that Ped was derived from Pedal Car, which offered about as much haulage capability s a Class 31.
I thought it was short for "pedestrian"? Still related to performance.

And if the required class does not turn up you are "bowled".
I thought "bowled" was if a train you were trying to see pass (and possibly photograph/video) was blocked from sight by a train passing between it and you?

xotGD

Established Member
That one really annoys me as I have seen it used as a verb to mean something that it doesn’t actually, and also unbelievably as a noun on these boards.
I would use it as both a verb and a noun:

I was festering for two hours.

I had a two hour fester.

(Fortunately the slops house was open, so I was able to sit in the warm with a cup of tea.)

berneyarms

Established Member
I would use it as both a verb and a noun:

I was festering for two hours.

I had a two hour fester.

(Fortunately the slops house was open, so I was able to sit in the warm with a cup of tea.)
You do understand what the word actually means. It doesn't mean "to wait" and as a noun it means an ulcer. I don't think that you mean you have a two hour ulcer??

verb (used without object)​

to form pus; generate purulent matter; suppurate.
to cause ulceration, as a foreign body in the flesh.
to putrefy or rot.
to rankle, as a feeling of resentment.
SEE LESS

verb (used with object)​

to cause to rankle:Malice festered his spirit.

noun​

an ulcer; a rankling sore.
a small, purulent, superficial sore.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
You do understand what the word actually means. It doesn't mean "to wait" and as a noun it means an ulcer. I don't think that you mean you have a two hour ulcer??

That might depend, some of the food sold from certain station outlets would give anyone an ulcer!;)

CW2

Established Member

The purpose of this thread is to highlight those words which have taken on a different meaning in the railway enthusiast community, is it not?
In which case "fester" is in common usage, both noun and verb, as a synonym for "wait" - especially prolonged.
Examples: "The knitting was down, so I had a 2-hour fester".
"I didn't want to fester any longer, so I got the first cart out of there."
"Knitting" = overhead wires.
"Cart". Any form of multiple unit. Short for "Bog Cart".

berneyarms

Established Member
The purpose of this thread is to highlight those words which have taken on a different meaning in the railway enthusiast community, is it not?
In which case "fester" is in common usage, both noun and verb, as a synonym for "wait" - especially prolonged.
Examples: "The knitting was down, so I had a 2-hour fester".
"I didn't want to fester any longer, so I got the first cart out of there."
"Knitting" = overhead wires.
"Cart". Any form of multiple unit. Short for "Bog Cart".
My point really is that I just cannot understand how that word is being used for something, that has nothing to do with the actual meaning of the word.

It's a complete misuse, as opposed to the others which could be viewed as colloquialisms or nicknames.

xotGD

Established Member
My point really is that I just cannot understand how that word is being used for something, that has nothing to do with the actual meaning of the word.

It's a complete misuse, as opposed to the others which could be viewed as colloquialisms or nicknames.
These things happen. Same with Dreadful being used as a positive term.

Air conditioned coaching stock is referred to as 'coffins', but it doesn’t imply that the passengers have departed.

I have also heard station toilets referred to as the 'chalet'. Doesn't mean you'd want to stay there on a skiing holiday.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
'Festering' seems to have the common alternative meaning of '"sitting around and becoming fat and lazy" (as well as various other more niche alternatives). IMHO, not a word/meaning that I would necessarily suggest is exclusively used by rail enthusiasts.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I can only remember a little of the steam age slang of my youth.
A (loco) shed visited without the agreement of the officials there was 'bunked'. If that visit was without challenge one would say that 'I waltzed round'.
One rude rhyming couplet for d.m.u has already been mentioned, another was 'Cr**-carts' - irritated when one turned up, some enthusiasts held their arm out as it approached to imply it was just a bus,.'Diseasels' was another abusive term for steam's replacement.
I have already mentioned this on another thread a while back; towards the end of stream, some enthusiasts were regarded as taking things to far by others in the hobby and were called 'D.A.A.s'; the first two words being 'Daft as' and the last, a nine letter very vulgar one. Curiously a couple of years later, a 'D.A.A. Re-union' was advertised in the enthusiast press. I'm not sure whether it was intended to be ironic, or someone hadn't realised it was not a flattering acronym, or even that there was pride...
I am quite sure that, looking back, we spoke using a vocabulary that would be mysterious to the outsider but I've forgotten most of it. Groups creating a language indecipherable to outsiders is nothing new, as fans of Round the Horne's Julian and Sandy will know.

berneyarms

Established Member
These things happen. Same with Dreadful being used as a positive term.

Air conditioned coaching stock is referred to as 'coffins', but it doesn’t imply that the passengers have departed.

I have also heard station toilets referred to as the 'chalet'. Doesn't mean you'd want to stay there on a skiing holiday.
I get all that - but they are all nicknames or colloquialisms, used in banter, which really is different.

They tend not to be used in writing posts here either do they?

I’m just pointing out that somehow people have used it when writing posts thinking it’s correct, when it isn’t! The danger with that is that they misuse the term in something more formal.

Last edited:

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I have already mentioned this on another thread a while back; towards the end of stream, some enthusiasts were regarded as taking things to far by others in the hobby and were called 'D.A.A.s'; the first two words being 'Daft as' and the last, a nine letter very vulgar one.
Believe me by railway standards that’s not very “vulgar”

SteveM70

Established Member

That’s not the only meaning though. There’s also “(of a person) deteriorate physically and mentally in isolated inactivity.” Which sounds about right to me in the bashing context

Status
Not open for further replies.