• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Freight Flows and News UK

JKF

Just for clarification, although the train started from Llanwern, the steel itself originated from
Port Talbot steelworks (Llanwern has not made steel slab for 20 years or so!)

MARK
Thanks for the information. So far it has run every day this week, with a different loco each time (66136 Monday, 66120 Tues, 66006 Weds). Return departures have left early, 2hrs early today. Hoping this continues with similar frequency, nice to hear something working hard in the gorge.

update: Didn’t run today (Thurs), also no moves on the timetable for next week onwards, wondering whether this was a trial or extremely short-term contract!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mrdon

On Moderation
Thanks for the information. So far it has run every day this week, with a different loco each time (66136 Monday, 66120 Tues, 66006 Weds). Return departures have left early, 2hrs early today. Hoping this continues with similar frequency, nice to hear something working hard in the gorge.

update: Didn’t run today (Thurs), also no moves on the timetable for next week onwards, wondering whether this was a trial or extremely short-term contract!

Saw it today. Short term I’ve heard though.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
The log train that runs on a Sunday from Chirk to Carlisle normally runs via Wellington but the lest few weeks I've noticed it has ran via Wem insted and I'm just wondering why this is please? Could anyone shed any light on this please?

JKF

Saw it today. Short term I’ve heard though.
It has now appeared as an STP diagram for next week, booked mon-fri. 66057 doing the honours yesterday, which I didn’t see. It tends to get ‘activated’ quite late, so unless I remember to check realtimetrains mid morning I’m not prompted to pop out for a look (2 mins on the pedal bike gives me a nice view of it going along the gorge)

Donny_m

On Moderation
It has now appeared as an STP diagram for next week, booked mon-fri. 66057 doing the honours yesterday, which I didn’t see. It tends to get ‘activated’ quite late, so unless I remember to check realtimetrains mid morning I’m not prompted to pop out for a look (2 mins on the pedal bike gives me a nice view of it going along the gorge)

I was fishing under the M4 and happened to decide to check my phone and saw it was at parson street.

Appeared half hour later on the other side.

Ugly looking freight train, flat wagons with massive steel slabs tethered on. Wonder who’s ordered those.

AndrewE

Established Member
I was fishing under the M4 and happened to decide to check my phone and saw it was at parson street.

Appeared half hour later on the other side.

Ugly looking freight train, flat wagons with massive steel slabs tethered on. Wonder who’s ordered those.
That's what trains are for: Would you rather the slabs were on lorries?
Wonder where we are exporting steel to? Maybe the cheapest way to get it to France to be rolled into rails?

ExRes

Established Member
DC Railfreight have STP schedules currently in for Tuesday, loaded 1124 6Z35 Willesden to Chessington South and 1956 6Z36 empty return, if running it will be the first working to the Cappagh site

Oxfordblues

Is that by sea, from Bristol all the way around the south of england and up to the Netherlands?

Should be going through the tunnel!
Unfortunately the wagons aren't UIC-compliant and Cargowaggon flats are no longer available.

stantheman

On Moderation
Presume the Shap to North Blyth is export of aggregates ? No return path shown from Blyth on RTT

daccer

Do we know fromwhere the aggregate for Chessi gton originated and how it made its way to Willesden, assuming Willesden is a staging point for DCR

furnessvale

Established Member
Do we know fromwhere the aggregate for Chessi gton originated and how it made its way to Willesden, assuming Willesden is a staging point for DCR
Isn't it building rubble being removed from the London area?

ExRes

Established Member

More than probable what will be coming up from Bristol tomorrow, 0526 6Z33 Willesden to Bristol Freightliner Terminal empties returning as 1457 6Z34, the only other option is if there is anything stored at Willesden

Isn't it building rubble being removed from the London area?

As far as I'm aware Chessington is for aggregate in and spoil out, Tuesdays workings fit the timing loads with 1800 tonnes in, 600 out

furnessvale

Established Member
As far as I'm aware Chessington is for aggregate in and spoil out, Tuesdays workings fit the timing loads with 1800 tonnes in, 600 out
Correct. I was misreading the moves. It will be interesting to see what transpires.

JKF

That's what trains are for: Would you rather the slabs were on lorries?
Wonder where we are exporting steel to? Maybe the cheapest way to get it to France to be rolled into rails?
It’s interesting because steel is imported via Portbury too, from Vietnam, but doesn’t go out by rail. The port is busier than ever in recent times but sadly doesn’t generate rail traffic, vast numbers of new cars and containers all go out by road.

muddythefish

On Moderation
It’s interesting because steel is imported via Portbury too, from Vietnam, but doesn’t go out by rail. The port is busier than ever in recent times but sadly doesn’t generate rail traffic, vast numbers of new cars and containers all go out by road.

As a supporter of railfreight that's disappointing to hear, especially as it's not that many years ago when I seem to remember alot of railborne Class 66 hauled car traffic coming out of the port. What happened?

JKF

As a supporter of railfreight that's disappointing to hear, especially as it's not that many years ago when I seem to remember alot of railborne Class 66 hauled car traffic coming out of the port. What happened?
I seem to remember some issues being reported about vandalism/stone throwing and possibly icicles in the tunnels but I doubt that would have killed things off. I wouldn’t know when the last train ran, but I’ve been back living here for three years now and freight had been almost non-existent and no car runs in this time as far as a I am aware. All I’ve seen are new train deliveries in 2019 (which brought us some interesting traction, highlight probably the pair of 20s), stone last summer and the new steel traffic in recent weeks. I don’t think there was any revenue earning traffic in 2020.

The port has immediate access to the M5 motorway so I guess it’s quite convenient to move things out by road, and with cars probably easy to take them direct to dealerships in the sort of small loads that would entail rather than to move them to another hub with extra handling.

There were some trains bringing gypsum in for the plasterboard factory in early 2016 which I think was only a trial but seemed to have been running for a couple of months at least.

With things having been so quiet it feels like a lost opportunity to have cracked on with the disruptive work of restoring the line for passenger use, but that‘s still tied up in the planning and financial bureaucracy.

muddythefish

On Moderation
I seem to remember some issues being reported about vandalism/stone throwing and possibly icicles in the tunnels but I doubt that would have killed things off. I wouldn’t know when the last train ran, but I’ve been back living here for three years now and freight had been almost non-existent and no car runs in this time as far as a I am aware. All I’ve seen are new train deliveries in 2019 (which brought us some interesting traction, highlight probably the pair of 20s), stone last summer and the new steel traffic in recent weeks. I don’t think there was any revenue earning traffic in 2020.

The port has immediate access to the M5 motorway so I guess it’s quite convenient to move things out by road, and with cars probably easy to take them direct to dealerships in the sort of small loads that would entail rather than to move them to another hub with extra handling.

There were some trains bringing gypsum in for the plasterboard factory in early 2016 which I think was only a trial but seemed to have been running for a couple of months at least.

With things having been so quiet it feels like a lost opportunity to have cracked on with the disruptive work of restoring the line for passenger use, but that‘s still tied up in the planning and financial bureaucracy.

Thanks for the reply

Hope it's Ok to post this but I found this pic of a Portbury - Warrington car train going through BTM in 2015

Attachments

• port.jpg
    port.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 36

JKF

Thanks for the reply

Hope it's Ok to post this but I found this pic of a Portbury - Warrington car train going through BTM in 2015
Late summer 2017 seems to be the last flow I can find referenced on the SWRG yahoo group, last report is of some empty flatbed wagons (used for stuff like transit vans) moved from the automotive terminal on 22/8/2017.

ABB125

Established Member
Some years ago (maybe 6 or 7) I remember reading about a new flow of aggregates (dredged pea shingle, I think) from Southampton to (I think) Scotland, which consisted of a few small bulk wagons stuck on the end of a rake of container flats. Does anyone know if this is still going?

Oxfordblues

Some years ago (maybe 6 or 7) I remember reading about a new flow of aggregates (dredged pea shingle, I think) from Southampton to (I think) Scotland, which consisted of a few small bulk wagons stuck on the end of a rake of container flats. Does anyone know if this is still going?
Yes, that was one of the last new flows on the wagonload network. A few HEAs were tripped from Southampton Western Docks to Eastleigh then trunked via Didcot and Arpley to Mossend. The traffic didn't survive when GBRf won the Defence contract and switched marshalling from Didcot to Bicester.

bnsf734

i was watching the latest episode (episode 70) of Ashville Weekly on Youtube today and they have recently started receiving washed sand and ballast from Newhaven to their terminal at Thorney Mill. Interestingly one of the trains arrived with 2 x GBRf Class 66's on the front and left with one on each end back to Newhaven. One of the locos was shiny 66799. Some good video of rail operations in the terminal in this episode.

Link here: Ashville Weekly 70

stantheman

On Moderation
Long shot maybe but anyone know what’s happened to the Doncaster Iport to Mossend P D Stirling 4S04 and return which ran a few times till early this year ? Loadings were light to say the least

Freightmaster

Established Member
Long shot maybe but anyone know what’s happened to the Doncaster Iport to Mossend P D Stirling 4S04 and return which ran a few times till early this year ? Loadings were light to say the least
I think you have just answered you own question there! ;)

MARK