• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Freight Flows and News UK

JKF

Saw some workers and on track plant clearing portbury branch on the weekend, anything planned on the line?

Don.
There is currently the weekly booked container service going into the dock, runs through early on a Saturday afternoon, light loco goes back to Stoke Gifford then comes to pick up the empties very early on a Monday for the return to London Gateway. Carrying imported wine which goes to a big depot in Avonmouth, presumably by road.

Tracksy was showing the line blocked early on Thursday (one bit marked as ‘TREE’ which presumably was the blockage). The weekly RHTT on weds picked up 40 mins delay, possibly encountering this blockage?

Line was cleared by 7am on Thursday when the monthly NR test train came down (2xColas 37s). RHTT has been down this morning, a variation on the usual run to include the line, presumably to pick up what was missed on weds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Western 52

The BBC news had a story lunchtime today that some mothballed coal power stations are on standby for reopening. Do these still have viable rail infrastructure?

8A Rail

Established Member
The BBC news had a story lunchtime today that some mothballed coal power stations are on standby for reopening. Do these still have viable rail infrastructure?
Did they actually state which mothballed Power Stations they were referring to?

Western 52

No, it's just a statement at the end of an article on BBC news about the new energy saving scheme. Sorry can't do a link on my phone but the story is still up on the BBC news site.

Nottingham59

Established Member
I think it's likely to refer to Drax (the coal-fired part), West Burton A, and Ratcliffe on Soar which have been asked not to close this year as they were scheduled to. The coal pile at Ratcliffe has been growing again after being almost completely run down, and it's all delivered by rail.

Donny_m

On Moderation
There is currently the weekly booked container service going into the dock, runs through early on a Saturday afternoon

Interesting thanks I had missed that one. Can’t see it for today so perhaps the cancelled strikes have affected it, I can see it ran last Saturday.

JKF

Interesting thanks I had missed that one. Can’t see it for today so perhaps the cancelled strikes have affected it, I can see it ran last Saturday.
It doesn’t seem to run every week, maybe 2 out of 3, and did run during one of the earlier strikes. It also did the return trip on a Tuesday when we had the bank holiday for the Queen’s funeral. First run was on 23rd July (discussed on page 28 of this thread).

The service had previously run to Avonmouth, it’s possible that it is just a temporary arrangement - there seems to be a lot of work going on around Avonmouth at the moment with demolition of old buildings and some of the more recent coal handling infrastructure, and might have been moved out of the way of that. This is pure speculation though.

Donny_m

On Moderation
Still some serious work going on on the portbury line near Ashton gate, seems to be a Sunday thing now. Scissor platform full of workers going up and down the line and dozens of contractor cars parked up in the area.

It’s hard not to get excited when a freight line near you that’s constantly seems to be close to death shows some sign of life. Obviously could be Portishead related but it’s hard to believe that considering how long they’ve been going on about it now.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Does anyone know when the Arpley Sidings to Donnington Rail Freight Terminal flow will end because I was told month ago that they were moving closer to home?

stantheman

On Moderation
Does anyone have any information on a couple of Anglo Scottish flows which have not run for a while -The Tees to Dalzell steel and the Wembley to Irvine clay?

Last edited by a moderator:

marty56110

The Tees (ex Scunthorpe) to Dalzell runs normally once per week. It should be running Thursday this week, it can run on twice a week if the demand requires.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Has this affected the ‘new’ Bristol east - tytherington - appelford flow as that seems to have vanished again this week.
Still running:

(the empties are recessing overnight at Appleford this week, rather than Bristol East depot)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does anyone have any information on a couple of Anglo Scottish flows which have not run for a while -The Tees to Dalzell steel and the Wembley to Irvine clay?
Both running today! (Wednesday November 16th)

MARK

Last edited:

JKF

Has this affected the ‘new’ Bristol east - tytherington - appelford flow as that seems to have vanished again this week.
On a similar Bristol note, I don’t think I’ve spotted any of the stone trains that were running out of the former freightliner depot west of Parson St for a few months, though haven’t been stalking out RTT every day. Are they still running at all?

There’s a new path to Portbury Automotive in the timetable for later today, currently a ‘Q’ runs as required path, from Southampton M.C.T.. This is timed into Portbury on the same path as the London Gateway service that started a couple of months ago, so offering an alternative starting point for this train. Will be interesting to see if this runs, I would assume it’s containerised wine still for the depot in Avonmouth.

Last edited:

Donny_m

On Moderation
On a similar Bristol note, I don’t think I’ve spotted any of the stone trains that were running out of the former freightliner depot west of Parson St for a few months, though haven’t been stalking out RTT every day. Are they still running at all?

There’s a new path to Portbury Automotive in the timetable for later today, currently a ‘Q’ runs as required path, from Southampton M.C.T.. This is timed into Portbury on the same path as the London Gateway service that started a couple of months ago, so offering an alternative starting point for this train. Will be interesting to see if this runs, I would assume it’s containerised wine still for the depot in Avonmouth.

Parson st traffic moved to Avonmouth last year.

Think that portbury path has always been there since the car train days.

JKF

Parson st traffic moved to Avonmouth last year.

Think that portbury path has always been there since the car train days.
No, it’s definitely a new path, and mirrors part of the London Gateway train so would presumably just be an alternative start point for the same type of service. It didn’t run anyway, and this past weekend (26/11) the London Gateway service ran (with 66516)

JKF

This ran for the first time today, hot on the heels of Duchess of Sutherland! :

66570 providing the traction. Quite a few empty flats at the front.

I observed that there were mostly Hapag Lloyd orange shipping containers making up the load. The previous services from London Gateway had mostly MSC (Mediterranean Shipping Co.) yellow boxes.

Donny_m

On Moderation
This ran for the first time today, hot on the heels of Duchess of Sutherland! :

66570 providing the traction. Quite a few empty flats at the front.

I observed that there were mostly Hapag Lloyd orange shipping containers making up the load. The previous services from London Gateway had mostly MSC (Mediterranean Shipping Co.) yellow boxes.

Ah yeh saw her pass while fishing in keynsham did notice quite empty.

ExRes

Established Member
0915 4Z21 Shirebrook Davis to Redcar Mineral Terminal running today with 16 JNAs, presumably the 2nd part of the Land Recovery order but hauled by GBRf rather than Colas

JKF

There’s an aggregates train booked out of Bristol Freightliner terminal on Sunday as an STP working, first one for a while if it runs (I was told the service running not so long ago conveying stone from Flax Bourton quarry had moved to Avonmouth). Going to Port Talbot.

There‘s a light engine move booked in earlier in the morning, suggesting the stock is already there, if I get a chance I’ll drop by this weekend to see what is about if anything. There was a rake of container flats there when I passed a few weeks ago which I think have been there a while, it’s also possible that these are being retrieved and the working has been wrongly attributed to aggregates.

Freightmaster

Established Member
There’s an aggregates train booked out of Bristol Freightliner terminal on Sunday as an STP working, first one for a while if it runs (I was told the service running not so long ago conveying stone from Flax Bourton quarry had moved to Avonmouth). Going to Port Talbot.

There‘s a light engine move booked in earlier in the morning, suggesting the stock is already there, if I get a chance I’ll drop by this weekend to see what is about if anything. There was a rake of container flats there when I passed a few weeks ago which I think have been there a while, it’s also possible that these are being retrieved and the working has been wrongly attributed to aggregates.
With a timing load of just 600 tonnes, I'd say it will be the flats being moved rather than a loaded stone train.

MARK

Donny_m

On Moderation
With a timing load of just 600 tonnes, I'd say it will be the flats being moved rather than a loaded stone train.

MARK

It was a rake of chop shop VTG hoppers usually based at east usk. It arrived around a week ago and left today.

Wasn’t loaded up while there as there’s no loading area any more it’s full of the flatbeds that inter-modal lorries tow. I’m almost certain it was left there due to the strikes.

Freightmaster

Established Member
I notice a train of aggregates this evening from Tunstead to the old British Leyland sidings at Leyland. Is this a new flow I wonder? Perhaps Freightmaster can enlighten us...
The customer is Hurt Plant Hire, which is located on the Lancashire Business Park.

Here is a Google map view of their location, with the sidings clearly visible on the right:

MARK

Oxfordblues

Thanks Mark. I remember we used to get a few Leyland truck chassis out of there in my days at Speedlink.

pharrc20

The customer is Hurt Plant Hire, which is located on the Lancashire Business Park.

Here is a Google map view of their location, with the sidings clearly visible on the right:

i

MARK

Thanks Mark,
Thanks for the info Mark. Is it a one-off flow for now? Completely missed it coming through Northwich last night and this morning doh!
Cheers Paul