• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Freight Flows and News UK

Class15

On Moderation
Not entirely sure if it will run... but looks like a steel wagon movement Arpley to Scunthorpe tonight...
0K77 15:56 Knottingley TMD to Arpley Sidings - 6K77 19:48 Arpley Sidings to Scunthorpe B.S.C(ENT.C) -

66177 now allocated.
The light loco move is moving, but unfortunately the actual freight is cancelled!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CalderTrains

The light loco move is moving, but unfortunately the actual freight is cancelled!
Now running light to Doncaster!
66177 0E77 19:48 Arpley Sidings to Doncaster L.I.P

HOOVER29

Anyone have any idea as to what’s happening with the Burton-Leicester line from Burton to Bardon?
The Tinsley-Bardon stone empties (6M83) used to go that way but now it goes via the Erewash valley as 6M01 I think.
Someone did say that it had something to do with the signalling.
We had two test trains down the other week but no freight since probably the beginning of last year if not before.

Going through Burton upon Trent the other day I passed the siding where they unload the spoil on the service from Acton.
There was a huge pile there.

Where does the spoil go onwards from Burton?

Is it used for quarry filling & does it leave Burton by rail or road?

I understand that underneath London it’s mostly clay based.
Could they not use it for making bricks or blocks?

Last edited:

Adrian Barr

I think the spoil at Burton will be sent by road somewhere for infill purposes as you suggest; I'd be curious to know where!

I've not heard about the issues on the Burton - Coalville section but it does look like the Bardon to Tinsley is currently running as 6E97 outward / 6M01 return via the Erewash.

I don't know much about brick manufacturing, but to quote a snippet from an industry factsheet - "Clay is one of the most abundant natural mineral materials on earth. For brick manufacturing, clay must possess some specific properties and characteristics."

If London clay was suitable for making bricks, I think historically they would have manufactured them closer to London than places like Stewartby. An article in the Guardian gives some explanation of this -

The closure of the last brickworks in Bedfordshire has attracted little cultural attention
In the late 19th century at Fletton, further east near Peterborough where other brickworks still exist, clay excavations went deeper than the deposits previously used for brick production to hit the Lower Oxford band, which runs all the way from The Wash to Dorset. Clay from the Lower Oxford had two great qualities. It was moist and malleable enough to need no extra water, therefore omitting the need for bricks to spend valuable time in drying sheds. More important, it was "self-firing". The clay contained seaweed from the time 150m years ago when it formed the seabed. Experiments showed that when the chambers in a kiln reached a certain temperature, the ancient seaweed combusted: bricks made from the Lower Oxford band supplied 75% of their own heat.

I think the typical spoil coming from London is basically waste soil or mud; what you would dig up if you were excavating an average construction site. I think it's classed as "inert waste" and isn't really a construction material. I can't find much information online but this page from the FCC website gives some idea of what is being moved (they load spoil at Ripple Lane / Bow / Cricklewood / Neasden) - https://www.fccenvironment.co.uk/waste-processing/soil-management-solutions/

66701GBRF

Heard on the grapevine DRS have either lost, or dumped their Anglia RHTT work out of Stowmarket. Now passed to another operator.

Callmo

Heard on the grapevine DRS have either lost, or dumped their Anglia RHTT work out of Stowmarket. Now passed to another operator.
Do you know who will be running it instead?

I think a few RHTT operators will be changing this autumn based on what I’ve heard.

Western 52

Does anyone know what's going on with the oil trains from Robeston? In recent weeks there seem to be fewer running, and shorter formations on some too.

wallan

New , 0246 Haverton Total Colas - Colas Ribble Rail , Due 0842
1005 Colas Ribble Rail - Haverton Total Colas , Due 1509

Freightmaster

Established Member
New , 0246 Haverton Total Colas - Colas Ribble Rail , Due 0842
1005 Colas Ribble Rail - Haverton Total Colas , Due 1509
To be pedantic, that's just a new origin for an existing, established working which previously
ran from Lindsey to Preston Docks rather than an entirely 'new to rail' flow.

To be even more pedantic, the train runs from Port Clarence - the 'Haverton' moniker is incorrect.

MARK

Snow1964

Established Member
Saw a civil engineers train pass Bradford on Avon today at 11am would have been 6M50 Westbury-Bescot

Had 3 Colas class 70 on the front !

Oxfordblues

Saw a civil engineers train pass Bradford on Avon today at 11am would have been 6M50 Westbury-Bescot

Had 3 Colas class 70 on the front !
The Westbury-Bescot infrastructure service is a temporary replacement for the Westbury-Hinksey-Bescot trains during the Nuneham Viaduct blockade. The 70s are required for weekend jobs in the Midlands.

Class 170101

Established Member
Do you know who will be running it instead?

I think a few RHTT operators will be changing this autumn based on what I’ve heard.

Class 67s have been seen on these, similiar paths running over the last couple of weeks.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
I passed the recently closed West Burton power-station yesterday. There is still quite a large pile of coal outside. I’m no good at estimating how much but it must be several trains full. Presumably this will need shifting to somewhere where it can be used e.g. Drax or Ratcliffe, before the power-station is demolished? Worth keeping an eye out for any fright trains booked to move it.

Callmo

Class 67s have been seen on these, similiar paths running over the last couple of weeks

Class 67s have been seen on these, similiar paths running over the last couple of weeks.
I was told the 67s are r/l so when the Felixstowe jobs are diverted via London they will only need 1 driver to them back to Peterborough, instead of the 2/3 currently.

JD2168

Tonight around 7pm I saw two Class 66 coupled together pulling a number of wagons through Meadowhall in the Sheffield direction.

ExRes

Established Member
Tonight around 7pm I saw two Class 66 coupled together pulling a number of wagons through Meadowhall in the Sheffield direction.

Freightliner 6M02 Hunslet Yard to Tunstead Sdgs showing on RTT at 1857 running 24 late, no loco details though, I expect one of the aces on the non urgent TOPS requests thread will have the answer

Dr Hoo

Established Member
66413 and 70002 but also apparently another 66 which is unconfirmed.
I saw it too. Definitely seemed like three locos as I flashed past. It was an 'all sorts' move of mixed box and hopper wagons. Presumably off store, repair or maintenance for Tarmac.

JKF

Some Portbury branch updates.

Curiously, the Colnbrook-Portbury aggregates service has reappeared on RTT, with a daily path scheduled from 22nd May, although no return path is listed. This service ran for a few months a year or two ago, I think collecting stone brought down from Glensandra quarry in Scotland via coastal shipping, possibly for HS2 use. If this is real and not just a legacy path reappearing with the timetable update I would expect a few crew training/familiarisation runs before it recommenced.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H41124/2023-05-22/detailed

Also making a new appearance in the timetable is a Fridays only Southampton - Portbury automotive service operated by Freightliner, with a return working early on Saturday. This is likely a rescheduling of the ‘plonkliner’ service which previously ran inbound on a Saturday with a return early on Monday. The Saturday service would also sometimes run from London Gateway, the ‘Q’ path for this is still listed.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H07993/2023-05-26/detailed

The Saturday service doesn’t run every week, and has been disrupted by strikes quite a bit this year. It originally seemed to run about three weeks out of four, becoming less frequent, then there was a break for about six weeks before a couple of services ran over the last few weeks. I will keep a close watch as to what actually turns up!

The new Class 93 fleet is being shipped into Portbury Dock, with 93001 reportedly already here and supposedly going to Old Dalby via road, but I do not know if any further deliveries will leave the docks via rail, no sign of any paths as yet.

Spaceship323

Although it's been a (Q) path on RTT for some months now this actually ran for the first time yesterday

66604 with a load of stone for the old Murco sidings at Bedworth