• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail jobs for 16-18 year olds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke Glattback

Is it possible to get a part-time job in rail at 17? What sort of jobs within the industry can you work once you’re 18? E.g. could you realistically get a job as a train manager at 18?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Is it possible to get a part-time job in rail at 17? What sort of jobs within the industry can you work once you’re 18? E.g. could you realistically get a job as a train manager at 18?
I don't believe so, I think 21 is the industry standard age for safety critical roles. Obviously you could possibly go into the retail side of the railway or see if there are any apprenticeships within head offices etc.

PupCuff

18 is the de facto minimum for safety critical roles, except mainline driver which is legally 21. It's not common to see roles available to under 18 due to companies typically taking a risk averse approach to employing young people, however I have known it happen in head office roles on the odd occasion.

You do see the odd 18 year old conductor or train manager but they're few and far between, the way the railway tends to recruit is based on previous experiences which is naturally harder to draw from the fewer years of it you've been able to accumulate. With the advent of apprenticeships the tide is turning on that a little though.

CStock04

18 is the de facto minimum for safety critical roles, except mainline driver which is legally 21. It's not common to see roles available to under 18 due to companies typically taking a risk averse approach to employing young people, however I have known it happen in head office roles on the odd occasion.

You do see the odd 18 year old conductor or train manager but they're few and far between, the way the railway tends to recruit is based on previous experiences which is naturally harder to draw from the fewer years of it you've been able to accumulate. With the advent of apprenticeships the tide is turning on that a little though.
What sort of jobs would be a good starting block to gain enough of a cv to get onto the railway?

What sort of jobs would be a good starting block to gain enough of a cv to get onto the railway?
Get an apprenticeship in something that you’re generally interested in, engineering for example - you will do a better job of it.

66701GBRF

As above, apprenticeships are one way (if available) but generally don't pay very well. But any job away from the railway should be ok as it will demonstrate responsibility and the fact you can turn up to work on time etc.

Luke Glattback

I’m on a BTEC college course at the moment but it’s a shame the rail industry doesn’t really have any sort of apprenticeship’s for 16-18 year olds: it doesn’t leave them with much choice and doesn’t give them a pathway into the industry. That’s just my opinion anyway. There are loads of apprenticeship’s out there but rail just doesn’t seem to one of them.

Most companies do indeed offer apprenticeships, however as there are very minimal spaces, they're usually extremely competitive. Transport for London seem to offer the most apprenticeships, based on quick glances at each company's website.

12C

To echo the above, apprenticeships are the way to go at that age, particularly in engineering. Yeah they’re not well paid to begin with (what job is at 16) but when you’re time served it can lead to a very well paid career on the railway. I wish I’d done that when I was younger rather than wasted a load of money at uni!

I’m on a BTEC college course at the moment but it’s a shame the rail industry doesn’t really have any sort of apprenticeship’s for 16-18 year olds: it doesn’t leave them with much choice and doesn’t give them a pathway into the industry. That’s just my opinion anyway. There are loads of apprenticeship’s out there but rail just doesn’t seem to one of them.
There definitely are some, I don’t know where about you are but I work for Northern and they offer engineering apprenticeships from time to time. It’s worth signing up for TOC/Network Rail job alerts to see when they come up.

Last edited:

Grvrdvicdr

Look at platform or Gateline jobs. I’d say that’s best for 18. 17, can’t see much happening unless you get an apprenticeship. I started when I was 16 with an apprenticeship a few years ago

CStock04

Look at platform or Gateline jobs. I’d say that’s best for 18. 17, can’t see much happening unless you get an apprenticeship. I started when I was 16 with an apprenticeship a few years ago
This is the way I'm looking forward, I currently work in a customer service fast paced environment outside of the other things I do and believe it'd be a good transition into the railway skill wise.

D365

Veteran Member
Do you want a front-line job specifically or, to echo @16.19 and @12C's comments, any interest in engineering?

Eloise

Train planning is an option. They take school leavers and graduates. Gives a good grounding into the railway and industry.

Danetime

First Group do apprenticeships and the majority of the people I speak to (from GWR side) do rave about them and try to get their kids and friend's kids onto them. Worth signing up for alerts here: https://www.firstgroupcareers.com/talent/apprentices/

I believe they do an in-take once a year but applications are a long process and extremely competitive like all railway jobs.

dk1

Veteran Member
Messenger & signal box lads was how we used to get into the railway industry. These Junior Railman positions started at 16 with a pay increase on your 17th birthday. You where not allowed to work nights & they had to find you a job at 18.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Another good option that's not railway-specific to look for is a cafe or restaurant. Working in the kitchen areas gives you an excellent safety environment to talk about as well as teamwork and communication, working front of house gives excellent customer service and money handling training. Both show you are able to work hard and be a dependable member of staff in a time-critical environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.