• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail line not far from front of house but only two small trains an hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Origami

Hello I was just wondering about the level of noise and pollution there would be from a rail line running at the front of a house in Lytham. There is a tarmacked street and a hedge beyond which is the rail line. The line runs between Preston and St Annes on Sea and I think there are just two small trains an hour - one going to Preston and the other to St Annes. The house is on Tennyson Avenue, FY8

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

simonw

Hello I was just wondering about the level of noise and pollution there would be from a rail line running at the front of a house in Lytham. There is a tarmacked street and a hedge beyond which is the rail line. The line runs between Preston and St Annes on Sea and I think there are just two small trains an hour - one going to Preston and the other to St Annes. The house is on Tennyson Avenue, FY8
Pollution : less than you will get from car traffic on the road.

Noise: I would suggest the best way to find out is to find out what time the train runs and visit the location at that time to hear for yourself. Noise is a very subjective thing, so best to experience it yourself

furnessvale

Established Member
Presumably you are looking at buying this house. The current traffic level is very small and liable to remain that way. Please be aware that things can change over time.

I once lived on a major A road. Over time traffic levels increased exponentially, day and night. I ended up fitting my own sound proofing double glazing and there is no help available because it is an existing road.

People somehow have an expectation that increased traffic on a railway is different and they should be compensated.

Kite159

Veteran Member
You will find you will get used to the noise of the passing train.

It will be less than the noise from passing traffic, especially if you get those boyracer types who fit oversized exhausts and drive like they have stolen the car.

MotCO

Established Member
And don't forget the noise from overnight tamping work - not very often, but it will probably happen at some stage.

typefish

And don't forget the noise from overnight tamping work - not very often, but it will probably happen at some stage.

When I lived immediately next to the ECML in Newcastle (as close as in the location you've posted) - I got used to the trains very quickly (with the exception of the Class 60, ghastly things). Night engineering works were okay, but track replacement was the absolute worst.

I think you won't even notice these trains have gone past.

The exile

Established Member
When I lived immediately next to the ECML in Newcastle (as close as in the location you've posted) - I got used to the trains very quickly (with the exception of the Class 60, ghastly things). Night engineering works were okay, but track replacement was the absolute worst.

I think you won't even notice these trains have gone past.
Rail grinding is quite alarming as well!

SteveM70

Established Member
Noise: I would suggest the best way to find out is to find out what time the train runs and visit the location at that time to hear for yourself. Noise is a very subjective thing, so best to experience it yourself

Looking at the map, I suspect in one direction the train will be accelerating and in the other it’ll be braking, so to be safe I’d be there for one in each direction.

But having said that I can’t imagine it’ll be too noisy

Tractor2018

Knowing the location and frequency, low linespeeds etc, it wouldn't bother me. And that's from someone who historically has always looked at proximity of lines when buying houses! 1st train about 7, last one about 2300 - not too antisocial. And Tennyson - I think trains are going to be coasting there, not powering or braking.

Edit: I don't even recall any whistle boards there, but maybe somebody knows better.

Gloster

Established Member
As said the chances of the regular trains becoming sufficiently frequent or noisy to be a distraction are infinitesimally small, although they do theoretically exist. Tamping will happen one or two nights a year (I am not familiar with current standards) and rail grinding probably less frequently: you will get a noisy train slowly approaching and then going away. It is just one of those odd things you can’t completely avoid and a lot less annoying than roadworks: unless you are a hermit, you can’t avoid some noise.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
you must satisfy yourself by making such enquires of the seller as you feel are required. Only you will know what noise and perhaps vibration you find tolerable. No-one here an advise on that sadly.

I would suggest visiting the property at times trains are due and at different times of the day to see what it is really like. Also ask the neighbours what they think. Maybe try being in the house at the time a train passes to gauge what it is like.

What you cant get a view on is what any out of the ordinary use of the line is like. I think that is something you just have to accept if you buy the house. The "usual" noise should be open to assessment.

Trackman

Established Member
You will find you will get used to the noise of the passing train.

It will be less than the noise from passing traffic, especially if you get those boyracer types who fit oversized exhausts and drive like they have stolen the car.
I did. people do.
Dont get me going on boy racer exhausts, pops, bangs, turbo blow off's etc.-might be worthy of another thread so I can rant.
Talking of ranting; my mate text me a few ago years ranting as they were doing engineering works outside his house and there was a class 66 (or whatever) ticking over outside his bedroom window all night on hot summers night. He wasn't very happy.
Tamping is loud, but it will pass.

Just thought I'd mention that there is an ECS move (empty coaching stock / empty train) passing through Lytham at 05:13, passing the house perhaps a minute before that. This empty train becomes the first passenger service from Blackpool South, which passes Lytham at 05:45.

Currently the last train of the day is at 23:42 on weekdays, 23:55 on a Saturday and 21:41 on a Sunday.

I have lived in two houses close to the railway and have posted before about this. I have provided a link to a post I wrote previously but do note that this was in response to a completely different property and location to yours (right beside the West Coast Main Line in Lancaster). Here's the link - Buying house backing onto train tracks

Given the proximity to the line in your case, you may feel vibration from passing trains, although I think it's unlikely as they will be running at a low speed. You may feel some vibration from occasional engineering work which tends to be carried out at night, weekends and over Christmas.

As others have said, the only way to know for sure is to experience it yourself, ideally both inside and outside the house.

MadCommuter

I used to live next to a line with a similar level of trains and soon got used to them, but I would be more wary about engineering trains which will occur at some time. There was one weekend where a while army of workers appeared next to the house with noisy equipment and lighting - all weekend.

Also consider any shift working you might do now or in the future.

holl1984

We used to live on greenall road in Northwich which is a similar kind of set up but has a few more freight trains. There was a road, then a fence which led to the tracks.

In the words of my partner after living there about 3 years (when explaining to someone what it was like to live near a train line) “you only really notice it when the trains aren’t there” as in you get so used to it, it becomes the “norm” and non instrusive very quickly - that way you only notice it when something isn’t “right”!

Lucan

Established Member
I think there are just two small trains an hour
You are worried about that? Seriously? It sounds like heaven, not because I'm a trainspotter (I'm not) but because I live next to a road that has has about ten vehicles a minute, rising to sixty a minute at peak times. So do most people these days.
As well as that I am on a favourite route of motorcyclists (it's recommended on bikers forums) and some bikes are are going well over the national speed limit, and some of them (I guess with silencer baffles removed) are earsplitting.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Don’t worry about engineering trains. Down there its about a twice a year thing. Chances are you won’t even know about it.

BJames

Established Member
You are worried about that? Seriously? It sounds like heaven, not because I'm a trainspotter (I'm not) but because I live next to a road that has has about ten vehicles a minute, rising to sixty a minute at peak times. So do most people these days.
As well as that I am on a favourite route of motorcyclists (it's recommended on bikers forums) and some bikes are are going well over the national speed limit, and some of them (I guess with silencer baffles removed) are earsplitting.
Agreed. At uni I live in the front bedroom on a reasonably main road, and it's one of the (many) routes that Ambulances from the local (major) hospital take. You can also hear groups of students coming back at all times of the night, and the activity during the day is a constant stream of traffic. There are regular roadworks and activity at relatively early hours. It's certainly not one for someone who is after pristine silence!

The OPs, in contrast, sounds like a perfectly quiet location but I fully agree with the prior advice that the only person that can decide the acceptable boundary is the person looking at living there. If there are a couple of nights of year that are slightly disturbed it shouldn't be the end of the world I would hope.

Irascible

Established Member
I lived next to Hornsey depot for a while, the most intrusive noise wasnt the general ECML traffic - soon became background noise - or the shunting every morning which while you'd notice it sometimes also became background noise, but the howling of a night mail train...

Two small trains an hour are going to be about as intrusive as passing delivery vans on the road, unless they need to sound a horn at that point.

karlos

I lived next to a track until recently. The noise usually didn't bother me but freight trains used to make my house shake thanks to jointed track, around 2005 they upgraded the line to welded rail and it became a lot quieter.

alxndr

Established Member
I used to live backing onto an engineering train depot and beyond that was a far busier line and it didn't bother me at all, but people's tolerances are different. People have already well covered the train movement side of things, but it's also worth noting that there appears to be an access gate at the far east end of the street.

Workers may use this gate at all times of the day and night. They will also be parking their vehicles nearby to get there. Most workers will make an effort to keep noise levels down around houses, especially those for whom it is their regular maintenance patch, but some contractors are unfortunately less considerate. At the very least there will be some opening and shutting of van doors. It's unlikely to be frequent but is something to be aware of if you live by that gate. Some people do seem to get very upset by us using gates during the night, so if that's something that will bother you then it might not be the house for you.

Also consider that when you want to sell on your future potential buyers will probably be having the same thoughts.

Howardh

Established Member
As alluded to above thinking future sell-on, and your own situation, I suppose in future the line could be made tram or light rail with a greater frequency, but I would imagine those units would be quieter than current trains! As it's currently single track, to get more trains (or trams/metro) running would be an expensive upgrade to double the track, so I doubt we would see that for a generation at the earliest. That aside it's a lovely part of the world and I'm sure you will used to the trains passing by, much better than lorries or the 4 x 4 school run!

Edit; I looked up future plans for the Fylde railway, and found this from the local MP; does seem to suggest that one day frequency will be doubled?

I have campaigned for improvements to the South Fylde line, serving Kirkham, Lytham, St Annes and through to Blackpool South ever since I was elected. We now have a successful Restoring Your Railway bid to double rail services on the line through the installation of a passing loop. We have funding for a Strategic Outline Business Case which is being put together now with Fylde Council acting as the lead authority.

First and foremost, we need to at least double the frequency of services to make this a viable line for commuters, students and visitors.
Restoring Your Railway bid (Passing Loop)

21 October 2022

The South Fylde line passing loop remains one of the Restoring Our Railways Schemes under consideration by the Department for Transport. I am aware reliability on the line remains poor, despite Northern restoring its full timetable. I continue to press Minsters for a positive decision and to highlight the need for investment and the opportunities this would bring, including for new Investment Zones in Fylde and Blackpool. The case for a passing loop and half-hourly frequency has never been stronger

Last edited:

Red Onion

I once lived next to a line that had up to 4 trains per hour. I was also between a trunk road and another major road and had a flight path (almost) overhead. I barely noticed the trains, it was the road traffic that was the worst.

Worth pitching up at a busy time and seeing what like.

Altrincham

We used to live on greenall road in Northwich which is a similar kind of set up but has a few more freight trains. There was a road, then a fence which led to the tracks.

In the words of my partner after living there about 3 years (when explaining to someone what it was like to live near a train line) “you only really notice it when the trains aren’t there” as in you get so used to it, it becomes the “norm” and non instrusive very quickly - that way you only notice it when something isn’t “right”!
I totally agree with this post.

I had family who lived for many years on Victoria Road between Hale and Altrincham stations. If you take a look at that road on maps it is very similarly to the road in Lytham.

My family lived opposite the Chester line for over 60 years, and Altrincham/Hale sees a lot of freight services passing through, as well as the Piccadilly-Chester-Piccadilly passenger services which usually sees about 2 trains per hour passing.

The railway became a part of everyday life, and something family and visitors became very fond of. It becomes part of the pattern of life; not intrusive and also an interesting feature. You become accustomed to the rhythm of passing trains that you only start to notice them when they’re not there.

Zamalek

We have the viaduct of the Severn Beach line running almost over our garden (it's in next-door's), with two trains in each direction an hour. Slight rumble only, and never intrusive - and actually quite handy as when I hear a relevant one, I know my wife will be home from work in 6min ....

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
As alluded to above thinking future sell-on, and your own situation, I suppose in future the line could be made tram or light rail with a greater frequency, but I would imagine those units would be quieter than current trains! As it's currently single track, to get more trains (or trams/metro) running would be an expensive upgrade to double the track, so I doubt we would see that for a generation at the earliest. That aside it's a lovely part of the world and I'm sure you will used to the trains passing by, much better than lorries or the 4 x 4 school run!

Edit; I looked up future plans for the Fylde railway, and found this from the local MP; does seem to suggest that one day frequency will be doubled?

can’t see any service increase happenin, at least not for the rest of this decade.

Lytham Local

Nothing to worry about living on Tennyson. The trains on the South Fylde line are running on continuous welded rail, so no clickity clack type of noise. Service wise, they are running 2 car 150 / 156 or on a posh day 158 - sometimes sets are doubled up at the weekend into 4 car sets. Since the demise of the 142s there is very little noise from the railway and as others have mentioned, you'll very quickly get used to the noise and will ignore it.

You'll get more noise from BAE at Warton - they've been doing touch and goes with a 737-800 today, but like the railway, it's white noise after a while.

scrapy

Established Member
Nothing to worry about living on Tennyson. The trains on the South Fylde line are running on continuous welded rail, so no clickity clack type of noise. Service wise, they are running 2 car 150 / 156 or on a posh day 158 - sometimes sets are doubled up at the weekend into 4 car sets. Since the demise of the 142s there is very little noise from the railway and as others have mentioned, you'll very quickly get used to the noise and will ignore it.

You'll get more noise from BAE at Warton - they've been doing touch and goes with a 737-800 today, but like the railway, it's white noise after a while.
158s no longer run on the line. Since December timetable change Blackpool and Blackburn crews no longer sign the traction and are the only depots that sign the route.

paul1609

Established Member
can’t see any service increase happenin, at least not for the rest of this decade.
I stayed at the Blackpool South Travelodge for a recent Portsmouth v Fleetwood Tuesday night game.
I know it's out of season but a Wednesday morning peak arrival had 2 passengers arriving and 4 of us departing.
Even by Blackpools very low standards the area around Blackpool South is dire. To be honest a single car 153 would have been massive over provision for the whole trip in to Preston.

geoffk

Established Member
Don’t worry about engineering trains. Down there its about a twice a year thing. Chances are you won’t even know about it.
I had letters from Network Rail when work was done overnight at stations close to where I lived. I think that's their normal practice isn't it? At least you get a warning. Extra lighting at the work site can be more intrusive than noise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.