• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Rail.Ninja": un-accredited UK ticket retailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
I don't think it'd make a Byelaw prosecution any easier that they're also registered in Malta...
My first thought was that Malta being an EU country might be easier to get something out of... But then I remembered we left the EU!

ServerHoster

1664097646555.png
Just decided to book myself London to Liverpool 300 years in advance. Using a "complex route" from Paddington to Lime Street via Euston. It seems like Avanti will still be operating, and still using Pendolinos, in 300 years' time. £326 is a steal for First Class considering Avanti's prices!

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
View attachment 121221
Just decided to book myself London to Liverpool 300 years in advance. Using a "complex route" from Paddington to Lime Street via Euston. It seems like Avanti will still be operating, and still using Pendolinos, in 300 years' time. £326 is a steal for First Class considering Avanti's prices!
Not to mention, judging by the picture, Virgin will apparently have won the franchise back by then :lol:

JamesT

Established Member
I'm questioning if the second quote block (claim more money from people to secure the tickets) is illegal.
It depends if a contract is deemed to have been formed by the initial stage, or if that was just an ‘invitation to treat’. If the customer has paid the initial price and they come back for more that sounds like it would break the Consumer Rights Act. But if it’s that the price has changed by the time it comes to payment, that would be legal.

Adam Williams

Established Member
They definitely seem to charge straight away - before ticket fulfillment, as Braintree have already taken the amount I paid from my account

JB_B

Established Member
Are they using fake accounts with legitimate retailers ( when/if they eventually buy genuine tickets to pass on ) - in the the same way that bot-generated accounts are used by event ticket scalpers?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
They seem to think the Northern stoppers between Manchester and Liverpool are “Intercity Express”, a “High Speed Train” and worth £27-£35.
Most expensive bona-fide standard class single I can find between Manchester and Liverpool is £16.70 (Anytime Day Single). If £35 is Rail Ninja's supposed return fare, even two singles wouldn't be that much, surely?! o_O

Starmill

Veteran Member
Most expensive bona-fide standard class single I can find between Manchester and Liverpool is £16.70 (Anytime Day Single). If £35 is Rail Ninja's supposed return fare, even two singles wouldn't be that much, surely?! o_O
Indeed. They seem to be selling most tickets at significantly more than face value, as evidenced by post #12.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Anyone fancy buying child tickets from Lichfield Tent Valley to City and seeing who the tickets are issued by? Or I suppose as I’m in Malta at the moment I could pop round and ask

Adam Williams

Established Member
Or I suppose as I’m in Malta at the moment I could pop round and ask
Ask them where my WCML ticket has got to :D

buying child tickets from Lichfield Tent Valley to City
I wanted to try this approach initially, but:
  1. They don't allow buying tickets for 1 child, 0 adults
  2. The only supported stations are Inverness, Fort Williams, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Newcastle, York, Liverpool, Manchester, Chester, Leeds, Sheffield, Nottingham, Coventry, Cambridge, Birmingham, Oxford, London, Bath, Bristol, Cardiff, Brighton. Apparently those are the only stations in the UK you'd want to travel to/from :lol:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
OK in that case has anyone successfully booked with them and would they be happy to post an image of their ticket?
With all due respect, my card details ain't going anywhere near Rail Ninja's website. Be surprised if many others on here would have done so, or will be doing so, either. :rolleyes:

Starmill

Veteran Member
I quite like this result provided by Google:

View attachment 121236

(Screenshot of an answer suggested by Google for the question "How fast is rail ninja": "around 186.5-199 miles per hour")
A good lesson for anyone (including me, previously) relying on the "answer your question" or "knowledge panels" or whatever they call them these days on Google. Even if it looks like you've got the answer you were looking for, it always pays to either click through to the primary source, or scroll down to the first 'organic' result.

With all due respect, my card details ain't going anywhere near Rail Ninja's website. Be surprised if many others on here would have done so, or will be doing so, either. :rolleyes:
If you refer to the first post in this thread, @Adam Williams has already done so.

Adam Williams

Established Member
If you refer to the first post in this thread, @Adam Williams has already done so
What can I say, I like to live life on the edge..

I'll post mine if they fulfil it tomorrow; unfortunately I'm not sure this thread will do me any favours in terms of getting them to treat it as a normal booking.

STINT47

Looking at the frequently asked questions on their website. Two of the questions are Is Rail Ninja trustworthy and Is Rail Ninja legitimate it says yes so that's alright then.

syorksdeano

I've just checked Sheffield to London and apparently my train will be direct with LNER.

Also just tried Sheffield to Leeds and apparently no trains available

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I've just tried Sheffield to London in January 2029 and was presented with departures at 0438, 0442, 0443, 0448, 0449, 0451, 0458...

It's like it's taking every single variation of departure times and mashing them together. Of course its £165 single for these fictional trains.

The way everything is written on the homepage just doesn't feel right to me. It's written sort of well, but doesn't match the tone of voice you'd expect for a professional ticket retailer. But, its unfortunately convincing enough for a sizeable number of people to fall victim to these scammers.

AdamWW

Established Member
I've just tried Sheffield to London in January 2029 and was presented with departures at 0438, 0442, 0443, 0448, 0449, 0451, 0458...

It's like it's taking every single variation of departure times and mashing them together. Of course its £165 single for these fictional trains.

The way everything is written on the homepage just doesn't feel right to me. It's written sort of well, but doesn't match the tone of voice you'd expect for a professional ticket retailer. But, its unfortunately convincing enough for a sizeable number of people to fall victim to these scammers.

The good thing is that it doesn't take much effort to find out that one shouldn't use them.

When I just did a Google search (and of course not everyone may see the same thing) I got:

1) Advert for Rail Ninja
2) The Rail Ninja site
3) Trustpilot - and going there made it very clear not to use them.

STINT47

Rail Ninja appears to be acting as a third party broker who buys tickets, then sells them on to the customer at a higher price, with the difference being kept by them as their profit.

Looking at the website it appears that if you book to far in advance you only get your tickets when they become available to buy to everyone.

On reading Trustpilot it would appear that some people are then getting tickets for trains at different times from those they booked at or not at all. Not surprising as the timetable between now and 2023 could be different, whilst if the cheapest ticket when they go on sale doesn't offer them a big profit margin presumably it's easier for them to just cancel a purchase. Who knows if the customers then get a refund?

It's misleading at best and a fraud /scam at worse. I'm not surprised that's it's not an official national rail site as it wouldn't get approved. Problem is on the forum we can see this but others are fooled and with it being overseas getting the site closed may be impossible.

KimLawrence

Has anyone reported this site to the RDG Licensing and Commercial Team and if so what is the response? There is an obligation to have a licence to retail, or just be a supplier of tech (or both) but no one is permitted to retail without a licence that is granted and bonded. Why has the site not been closed down if it does not have a licence. It would be interesting to see where the settlement goes for a ticket purchased does it go via central settlement systems for example?

DelayRepay

Established Member
Has anyone reported this site to the RDG Licensing and Commercial Team and if so what is the response? There is an obligation to have a licence to retail, or just be a supplier of tech (or both) but no one is permitted to retail without a licence that is granted and bonded. Why has the site not been closed down if it does not have a licence. It would be interesting to see where the settlement goes for a ticket purchased does it go via central settlement systems for example?

I think the problem is that this site is based overseas, and are not directly connected to the UK ticketing issue systems or databases, so it's very difficult to shut them down.

island

Veteran Member
The existence of rules and the ability to enforce them, particularly against offshore shell companies, are two rather different things.

JaJaWa

Established Member
Anyone fancy buying child tickets from Lichfield Tent Valley to City and seeing who the tickets are issued by? Or I suppose as I’m in Malta at the moment I could pop round and ask
I live about 5 minutes from their Hong Kong office

Adam Williams

Established Member
So I got this email today:
We regret to inform you that your train departure is not possible for reasons outside of our control (overbooking, change of schedule, etc).   We investigated other available options for you and kindly ask you to choose one of them. This offer expires in 60 hours from the moment you received this email.    Please note, if you don't choose any of the options provided, we have to cancel your reservation and proceed with a full refund.    Click on the link and make your selection:   VIEW YOUR OPTIONS   We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your understanding. We are doing our best to get our customers from point A to point B in the most convenient and comfortable way.

Bizarrely, I'm taken to a SalesForce page... where I don't need to change my departure time at all but do need to agree to not getting a seat reservation (duh, it's West Midlands Trains!)

Screenshot 2022-09-27 at 12-12-03 https __travel.secure.force.com.png

Still an entirely manual process, seemingly, so I still don't yet have any tickets despite submitting the form.

Status
Not open for further replies.