• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail photography in France

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyRupes

Im sorry if this has come up before. I am off to Paris on Saturday and I was just wondering if there were any rules or guidlines for taking pictures of Eurostars and TGVs in France, in particular in Paris around the Gard Du Nord?
Thanks in advance for any responses

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I would be very cautious because the security level ( "plan vigipirate" ) was stepped up within the last month on account of the Mali thing.

MK Tom

Established Member
Generally rail photography is fine. I had no problem photographing TGV and Eurostar sets at Lille Europe on Tuesday. SNCF staff and police walked past me without giving it a second thought. Same at Flandres. Paris may be different, but I was photographing all around Lille including the metro and both stations and I didn't run into a problem once.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Am I right in thinking that the Paris Metro isn't keen on photography...

And yes with the heightened alert I'd suggest checking with the station staff when you arrive at stations before spotting/photographing. If they say yes then go ahead but I have heard of the authorities getting funny when the alert is high, if you have permission from the staff then you shouldn't have any problems.

gazthomas

Established Member
I've had no issues ever in Gare Du Nord. Make sure you keep your flash off and others have already said, if in doubt ask staff first.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Am I right in thinking that the Paris Metro isn't keen on photography...

Yes; it is in fact stated on their T&Cs poster on all platforms, somewhere in the small print ( and there's masses of it! ) that photography is not permitted without the permission of "La Regie".

But you just try getting permission.... it's impossible!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Always ask to be safe - the larger stations often have a patrolling "chef du gare" (Station Manager) around who can be identified by a white cap. They are invariably helpfull in my experience and especially when you use the word "chef" in adressing them. The level of security is indeed high in Paris stations , with armed military on high visibility patrols - a bit of a change to our BTP (even the armed BTP who you see at St Pancras and so on !)

alexdodds

Yes; it is in fact stated on their T&Cs poster on all platforms, somewhere in the small print ( and there's masses of it! ) that photography is not permitted without the permission of "La Regie".

But you just try getting permission.... it's impossible!

Without permission is it easier to photo/video on the Paris Metro than e.g. LU.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
True - at least depending on how alert the CCTV guys are.

It helps if you photograph the back end of a Metro train though... drivers have been known to call in the uniforms upon sight of a camera aimed at their train.

Status
Not open for further replies.