• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail projects in the Levelling Up Fund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
The current station is 2 platforms and there is enough capacity on the branch to run trains at least every 20 minutes. The problem lies with paths on the WCML. I could see the 2 car being upped to a 4 car, and a business case for electrification of the branch.

Totally agree that the station needs some investment in facilities, it's not very welcoming.
It’s ideal 769 territory, electrification would be an expensive waste.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The wider aspects of the distribution of the levelling up fund can now be found in their own thread here. This thread should be kept to discussion of the schemes that have actually been included rather than the potential poor distribution of the funds.

randyrippley

Established Member
Morecambe was allocated £50 million towards the cost of the Eden Project North to be built on the Promenade. The current station is a single platform with bus stop type waiting shelter. Whilst there is now a link road from the town to the M6 has been built not all the visitors to the town will be coming by road. Surely new station facilities will be needed and improvements to the line and improved timetable. The current one is basically an hourly 2 car shuttle from Lancaster with every other train coming from Leeds via the Little North Western.
Perhaps we'll get the cable car instead?:D:D:D

RPI

Established Member
Cornwall is one of the poorest areas of England, Padstow and Rock are not all of Cornwall! Newquay is one of the most populous towns in Cornwall along with being one of the more popular holiday destinations, yet it has an abysmal train service due to poor infrastructure.

Also, employment in Cornwall isn't as Rosy as some are saying as most jobs are seasonal hospitality jobs with little chance of being permanent.

randyrippley

Established Member
I thought the second platform required use of a train-crew operated manual ground frame as it is for the single line Heysham branch? Can't imagine that would be a feasible long-term option for regular traffic.
the ground frame is to access the Heysham branch only, not needed for normal Morecsmbe services

Msq71423

I see North Lincs Council (with a Tory MP since the last election) have got £20million for Barton for the following:

Barton will receive almost £20 million for transport improvements around the town. The changes include improvements to the A1077 to alleviate congestion in the town centre, 14km of new cycle lanes, and mass improvements to the railway station including new cycle parking, an extension of the car park, and bus shelter upgrades.

ptreanor

Cornwall is one of the poorest areas of England, Padstow and Rock are not all of Cornwall! Newquay is one of the most populous towns in Cornwall along with being one of the more popular holiday destinations, yet it has an abysmal train service due to poor infrastructure.

Also, employment in Cornwall isn't as Rosy as some are saying as most jobs are seasonal hospitality jobs with little chance of being permanent.
It's absolutely laughable that the purposed service is referred to the "West Country Metro" (or something like that). My understanding of the term "Metro" in transport applications is for a high frequency, urban and (usually) electric service. Not an hourly inter-urban service formed with sprinters getting on for 40 years old. Spin doctors, don't you just love 'em!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's absolutely laughable that the purposed service is referred to the "West Country Metro" (or something like that). My understanding of the term "Metro" in transport applications is for a high frequency, urban and (usually) electric service. Not an hourly inter-urban service formed with sprinters getting on for 40 years old. Spin doctors, don't you just love 'em!

It would still be an improvement from what's there now though.

davetheguard

Established Member
The whole railway west of Exeter is astonishingly slow. Newquay to Exeter is approx 90 minutes by car but the train journey averages around 210 minutes. Needs major investment. Any tilting trains becoming surplus?

I agree that the railway west of Exeter is slow.

But you must have a better car than me; one that can jump over the traffic jams in front if you think that road is that much faster (despite the vast sums that have been spent on it).

Exeter has allegedly amongst the slowest traffic of all the cities of the UK, certainly it often takes half an hour just to arrive in or leave the city centre from the outskirts by car. That leaves an hour on your timings for the rest of the journey time from Newquay. Others will know better than me if that's achievable.

More inverstment is rail west of Exeter is certainly required. Personally, I wouldn't even consider using a car from Exeter to Newquay. I've done it by rail, and I would consider doing it more often by rail if it was faster.

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member

But you must have a better car than me; one that can jump over the traffic jams in front if you think that road is that much faster (despite the vast sums that have been spent on it).

Exeter has allegedly amongst the slowest traffic amongst all the cities of the UK, certainly it often takes half an hour just to arrive in or leave the city centre from the outskirts by car. That leaves an hour on your timings for the rest of the journey time from Newquay. Others will know better than me if that's achievable.
Those from west of Exeter head for Tiverton Parkway rather than Exeter St Davids. You are correct; from Cornwall etc you can be at the station at Tiverton Parkway quicker than at St Davids (where I have actually missed trains due to this exact issue).

Regarding the Newquay line, it has long (back to GWR - the real one - days) been a peculiarly slow and indirect slog. It was built up from several mineral-oriented lines, and never lost this, with odd steep gradients and tight curves, a strange arrangement of bits of double track, and passing loops not at stations. The direct link down to St Austell avoiding much of this, presumably being reinstated now, was still extant for freight (mainly china clay here) into more recent times, someone will have the detail of when it was finally given up. It's not the principal town that Newquay focuses on (which are Truro and Bodmin), but is comparable to those in size, and is at least a start.

Master29

Established Member

Exeter has allegedly amongst the slowest traffic amongst all the cities of the UK, certainly it often takes half an hour just to arrive in or leave the city centre from the outskirts by car. That leaves an hour on your timings for the rest of the journey time from Newquay. Others will know better than me if that's achievable.

More inverstment is rail west of Exeter is certainly required. Personally, I wouldn't even consider using a car from Exeter to Newquay. I've done it by rail, and I would consider doing it my often by rail if it was faster.
Indeed. 90 minutes from Newquay to Exeter is possible with clear roads but Exeter itself? Unlikely at most times of the day. As already pointed out many (including myself) have used Tiverton Parkway rather than the dreadful roads into Exeter. Limited parking at St Davids too.

northernbelle

Indeed. I can't quite see how they are going to achieve this with just 50 million. Certainly not with current stock.
The Cornwall one is interesting. The Newquay branch service is astonishingly slow at present and really only provides customers with connections for Plymouth and London. Turning it into a railway that creates journey opportunities within Cornwall has been talked about for decades. Fingers crossed that something will come out of this.

Actually, having now read a bit of detail, I see that anyone going to/from Newquay still has to travel via Par. That's currently a 48 minute journey on the branch.

There's a direct bus from Newquay to Truro that only takes 3 minutes longer than the train does to Par. So, a train Newquay to Truro would take 20 minutes longer than the existing bus
The scheme isn't particularly about directly linking Newquay with Falmouth. It fulfils a number of objectives which result in a direct service being best way of achieving that - much like, say, a Westbury to Gloucester or a Worcester to Weymouth train - those aren't about directly linking the two end points either.

I read a thread on Twitter yesterday that summed it up nicely. It pointed out that Cornwall Metro would provide:
  • Direct trains between St Austell, Truro, Penryn and Falmouth - three of the largest five settlements in Cornwall
  • 3tph between St Austell and Truro - one of the busiest corridors in the county
  • Newquay, the 5th most populated area in Cornwall, will be able to have an hourly service (with additional London trains on top)
  • Platform extensions on the Falmouth branch to enable 3-car formations (likely to be the new standard across GWR in the medium-long term)
  • Much-needed improvements to the passenger facilities at Newquay station
Actually, when you dig into it, £50m is probably quite good value for what will be achieved.

RPI

Established Member
The scheme isn't particularly about directly linking Newquay with Falmouth. It fulfils a number of objectives which result in a direct service being best way of achieving that - much like, say, a Westbury to Gloucester or a Worcester to Weymouth train - those aren't about directly linking the two end points either.

I read a thread on Twitter yesterday that summed it up nicely. It pointed out that Cornwall Metro would provide:
  • Direct trains between St Austell, Truro, Penryn and Falmouth - three of the largest five settlements in Cornwall
  • 3tph between St Austell and Truro - one of the busiest corridors in the county
  • Newquay, the 5th most populated area in Cornwall, will be able to have an hourly service (with additional London trains on top)
  • Platform extensions on the Falmouth branch to enable 3-car formations (likely to be the new standard across GWR in the medium-long term)
Actually, when you dig into it, £50m is probably quite good value for what will be achieved.
Shhhhh stop being positive, we only want doom and gloom here :D

Grumpy

More inverstment is rail west of Exeter is certainly required. Personally, I wouldn't even consider using a car from Exeter to Newquay. I've done it by rail, and I would consider doing it my often by rail if it was faster.
Dave
Both the AA routeplanner and Google maps are quoting approx 90 minutes from Newquay to St Davids.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Those from west of Exeter head for Tiverton Parkway rather than Exeter St Davids. You are correct; from Cornwall etc you can be at the station at Tiverton Parkway quicker than at St Davids (where I have actually missed trains due to this exact issue).

Regarding the Newquay line, it has long (back to GWR - the real one - days) been a peculiarly slow and indirect slog. It was built up from several mineral-oriented lines, and never lost this, with odd steep gradients and tight curves, a strange arrangement of bits of double track, and passing loops not at stations. The direct link down to St Austell avoiding much of this, presumably being reinstated now, was still extant for freight (mainly china clay here) into more recent times, someone will have the detail of when it was finally given up. It's not the principal town that Newquay focuses on (which are Truro and Bodmin), but is comparable to those in size, and is at least a start.

No - it doesn't seem that plugging the gap in the Newquay - St Austell link is included. The Newquay plan is for a better service on the existing route to Par, with the train heading back west from there to St Austell etc. Obviously having the other line open too would provide even more options, and better timings, but...

Requeststop

Whilst I welcome the extra funds, (however small) into Cornwall, I must say that I don't see the potential for an improvement in journeys from Par to Newquay. Yes a passing loop at Roche will enable an hourly service on the line, but it won't speed up the journeys, but an hourly service would be welcome. It's still going to take at least 1hr.45min for the return PAR-NQY-PAR. The bus service from Newquay to Par actually passes through St Austell and is far faster than the train service, given the two hourly service presently. Add the reversal at Par and the probable hold ups to the "Metro" service due to the up country delays on services from the far East, (London, Cardiff, Bristol, Exeter etc. XC doesn't give us any meaningful service in Cornwall anymore), it's not likely to be a very smooth operation.

I think the £50 million is a political gesture to try to keep the incumbent members for Truro and Falmouth and for St Austell and Newquay in their seats at the next General Election. Futile as it may be.

By the way, an after thought, there is a regular bus service already between the centre of Falmouth, via the centre of Truro, to the centre of Newquay, U1 and U1A which for oldies like myself is free, if you have the pass.

RPI

Established Member
Whilst I welcome the extra funds, (however small) into Cornwall, I must say that I don't see the potential for an improvement in journeys from Par to Newquay. Yes a passing loop at Roche will enable an hourly service on the line, but it won't speed up the journeys, but an hourly service would be welcome. It's still going to take at least 1hr.45min for the return PAR-NQY-PAR. The bus service from Newquay to Par actually passes through St Austell and is far faster than the train service, given the two hourly service presently. Add the reversal at Par and the probable hold ups to the "Metro" service due to the up country delays on services from the far East, (London, Cardiff, Bristol, Exeter etc. XC doesn't give us any meaningful service in Cornwall anymore), it's not likely to be a very smooth operation.

I think the £50 million is a political gesture to try to keep the incumbent members for Truro and Falmouth and for St Austell and Newquay in their seats at the next General Election. Futile as it may be.

By the way, an after thought, there is a regular bus service already between the centre of Falmouth, via the centre of Truro, to the centre of Newquay, U1 and U1A which for oldies like myself is free, if you have the pass.
There is a project already underway to remove or upgrade a few of the crossings on the line, the crossings are quite a significant obstacle to reducing journey times.

Irascible

Established Member

Down the south-west is definitely a "make the best of what we can scrape together" & has been for a long time. The fact any of it works at all ( Devon "metro", bus services etc ) is an achievement.

And there's still a desire to reach 150k population in Exeter! it was bad enough when I lived there as a kid & it was about half that.

Status
Not open for further replies.