• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail vouchers and payment for journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

pethadine82

On Moderation
I have noticed TVM do not have the facility to redeem rail vouchers.
What would one do when they have vouchers that are about to expire and need to make a journey.
The ticket office is closed and they are entering a penalty fare zone.
The vouchers will cover the full cost of the journey.

Do they
1) buy a ticket and get a refund when the office is open?
2) Take the train and when approached by a RPI do the transaction
3) Abandon the journey and try when the ticket office is open.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Strictly speaking you have a valid payment method but cannot use it, so you have not had an opportunity to pay, hence the answer is (2) in my opinion.

However with some TOCs it is much less hassle to just use them another time if possible than involving yourself in a potential argument with the RPI.

causton

Established Member
Some TOCs prefer 1, some TOCs prefer 2... I would personally go with 2, but last time I tried to redeem it and the ticket office was closed I found the ticket office staff member with his name badge on chatting on the platform (I asked him if he could open the ticket office and he said no!) who advised me to go with option 1! Which I did, and swapped the single to my next interchange station for my desired ticket at that station with no problems!

Muzer

Established Member
In the case of using (1), I wonder if the whole "buying a ticket for part of your journey" thing would work there, or whether that would just complicate things?

Status
Not open for further replies.