• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcard app version suddenly not supported

Status
Not open for further replies.

occone

I got a notification from the Railcard app today saying "the version of the app is no longer supported" and now my Railcard doesn't load. Instead it's just a purple square (I normally have a 26-30 Railcard).

I've gone to Google Play store and the app is up to date.

Attached is how it looks to me.

I'm extremely concerned because had this happened when traveling, I could have been issued a pentaly face and faced prosecution which simply isn't good enough.

Steps I've taken:
* Close (force stop) and reopen the app
* Checked my Railcard email and the Railcard is still valid

Has this happened to anyone else? I think my confidence in the Railcard app has just fallen through the floor but alas I don't think there is a physical option for the 26-30 railcard

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-13-13-34-45-66_53e75a55967b77553ac6184538e0bfb0.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-06-13-13-34-45-66_53e75a55967b77553ac6184538e0bfb0.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 114
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alex27

I've come across this a few times while checking, it seemed to load after awhile for everybody I've come across but it's very strange and rather irritating. Not sure what's causing it but your certainly far from on your own

NWCommuter

I've had the same issue today - seemingly my Family and Friends card has vanished from the app. Loads of similar complaints on Twitter all being met with a request to DM them the problem which most people have clearly stated on their original tweet. I'd be hopeful of some sort of statement soon, but now wondering how I go about travel when I'm unable to show the railcard due to a systems fault.

Shrewbly

Any ideas on this?
I just received a notification on my phone that my version of the Railcard app is no longer supported and I need to upgrade. The railcard app is indeed no longer working and won't display any railcards. However I've checked and I'm already on the latest version of the app. I've also checked on the website and my cards are still shown as active, but they are no longer associated with a mobile device - and trying to generate a new download code to add them to the app just throws errors.
This isn't great because I have a couple of journeys tomorrow and I need to be able to show the cards.

Any suggestions gratefully received (other than to use physical railcards in future - which I definitely will).

Mine isn't working now either. Just purple block-outs in the app where the Railcard should be. Website won't allow you to generate a new download code.

Not good - I'm supposed to be travelling on business on Thursday at the crack of dawn and my already-booked tickets have a Railcard discount.

Kilopylae

For me, an SWR guard was satisfied with me showing ID, and then showing that on the web site (not the app), there was an "active" Railcard in my name.

cjbrighton

I got a notification from the Railcard app today saying "the version of the app is no longer supported" and now my Railcard doesn't load. Instead it's just a purple square (I normally have a 26-30 Railcard).

I'm extremely concerned because had this happened when traveling, I could have been issued a pentaly face and faced prosecution which simply isn't good enough.

Steps I've taken:

Has this happened to anyone else? I think my confidence in the Railcard app has just fallen through the floor but alas I don't think there is a physical option for the 26-30 railcard
I have exactly the same problem. I've logged a support message and I'll post here if I get a solution.

Skiddaw

Mr Skiddaw's Railcard app (Two Together & Senior) isn't working either. Same error message and purple screen. He's tried deleting the app and reloading but it made no difference. He's also tried ringing Customer Services but had to give up eventually. He has an Android phone for what it is worth. Anyone know if there's an update on this? It's as well we weren't travelling anywhere today isn't it?

Otis

Same here (android). Deleted the app, reinstalled, now says I'm not connected to the internet (I am) and now says 'Oops! something went wrong, please try again later). Thank goodness I wasn't travelling.

occone

I note the support site says you get one claim per year for events such as where your phone runs out of battery or you can't otherwise show your digital Railcard and you get a penalty fare - https://www.26-30railcard.co.uk/help/faqs/digital-railcard/.
I fully expect them to make an **additional** exception for when it's their fault and at such a large scale, especially if this leads to people possibly getting criminal convictions.

Wolfie

Established Member
I note the support site says you get one claim per year for events such as where your phone runs out of battery or you can't otherwise show your digital Railcard and you get a penalty fare - https://www.26-30railcard.co.uk/help/faqs/digital-railcard/.
I fully expect them to make an **additional** exception for when it's their fault and at such a large scale, especially if this leads to people possibly getting criminal convictions.
If they don't they better expect widespread legal action....

occone

They seem to be aware of the issue (at least for downloading new railcards), but it's been about six hours now so it must be something fairly serious

Attachments

• IMG_20230613_190625.jpg
    IMG_20230613_190625.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 172

Haywain

Veteran Member
They seem to be aware of the issue (at least for downloading new railcards), but it's been about six hours now so it must be something fairly serious
If it's something to do with Android accreditation it will be partly, at least, outside of their direct control. That can help drag things out.

LiftFan

...and people wonder why I still use a plastic railcard and paper tickets!

nanstallon

If the railways want people to use digital tickets etc, they need to make sure that the technology works. Until then, I shall stick to a physical railcard and paper/cardboard tickets. It seems to me that the railways expect the travelling public to take all the risks of technological breakdowns, including unfair penalty fares and even prosecutions.

Kath

Steps I've taken:

Yes, exactly the same experience. I then uninstalled and re-installed the app which is now saying simply that I have no railcards. I can still see the railcard in my account though.

Seems to be a very widespread problem so I guess I'll just wait for a solution! Hopefully they might email us all it will make a change from the adverts I get every single day!

Class800

Established Member
If they don't they better expect widespread legal action....
On what grounds? Under strict liability, which I disagree with but is the system we have, its an offence not to display the railcard even if the system isn't working. Isn't that what strict liability is about?

Wolfie

Established Member
On what grounds? Under strict liability, which I disagree with but is the system we have, its an offence not to display the railcard even if the system isn't working. Isn't that what strict liability is about?
It is..... So the folk who supply the app better expect a class action....

Class800

Established Member
It is..... So the folk who supply the app better expect a class action....
Will have to see what happens if goes to court. Of course cannot predict what would be decided. I thought that there would be no offence by anyone other than the passenger harsh as it seems. Can't see the legal grounds for a claim against app developer personally

Jayfor78

Exactly the same thing has happened to me - a message about the app needing to be updated, though the Play store says it's up to date, and uninstalling/reinstalling the app has just lead to an error message - "Oops! Something went wrong."

I'm kind of relieved it's not just me having this problem, but incredibly frustrated that it's happening! I tried calling the railcard helpline about it today but was on hold for so long I had to hang up as I needed to go back to work. Now really worried that it won't get fixed before I need to use it! :(

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I'm on an Android and I can still open my railcard
When I open the app the oops message shows up for like a second then goes away and my railcards are there, fine as normal.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Likely a prosecution for breaking the Byelaw would be successful if it were pressed, yes. You'd hope that it wouldn't be under such circumstances but of course that's entirely out of your control.

Marton

Moderator note: Split from https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/railcard-app-version-suddenly-not-supported.250047

Not quite the same problem but it has similarities.

Some time ago I paid for my station parking online and came back to find a penalty notice.

I appealed and was told that I had committed an offence as I had not displayed a ticket as required by the bylaws, but that they would waive the fine.

How is a ticket defined in law? Is it the same as a car park ticket?

Last edited by a moderator:

Starmill

Veteran Member
I'm pro card payment and etickets but remain of the view that the Railcard app is not fit for purpose and so will not use a digital railcard until this is resolved (which means a wholesale redesign).
A failure of a live system used for payments or electronic authorisations should be considered a never event. It's extremely serious.

Veteran Member
Thanks for the flag-up. Android produces a content-less screen.

Fortunately I don't need it for a day or two.

My wife's on Ios is fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.