• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcard app version suddenly not supported

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigW

My wife's stopped working yesterday too but mine was totally fine. Foolishly I then updated the app on my phone and it then stopped working on mine too! Fortunately not travelling immediately so not a problem but this is an utterly ridiculous situation when we rely on the app for our railcards. Glad to see it's not just a problem for us though! Hopefully someone will get it sorted soon?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dosxuk

Established Member
When this has happened in the past, the railcard team have refused to tell the operators about the issue, preferring to let customers deal with guards / inspectors and try and blag their way out of penalties and new tickets - with the instruction of it'll be fine, you can claim a refund later.

Glad to see nothing has changed - it really should not take much for them to send a message out that the app isn't working and that passengers may have trouble loading their completely valid railcards. Don't expect any sort of credit for the days you can't use your railcard either, or compensation for the time dealing with their problem.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Amazes me that people still buy these. OK, with the 26-30 there's no choice, but with all others you can, and should, opt for a plastic card until they fix it. If you don't carry a wallet, put it in the back of your phone case.

hibby ann

I got a notification from the Railcard app today saying "the version of the app is no longer supported" and now my Railcard doesn't load. Instead it's just a purple square (I normally have a 26-30 Railcard).

I've gone to Google Play store and the app is up to date.

Attached is how it looks to me.

I'm extremely concerned because had this happened when traveling, I could have been issued a pentaly face and faced prosecution which simply isn't good enough.

Steps I've taken:
* Close (force stop) and reopen the app
* Checked my Railcard email and the Railcard is still valid

Has this happened to anyone else? I think my confidence in the Railcard app has just fallen through the floor but alas I don't think there is

Can't access my railcard. Getting the same purple screen. Need it in 1 week for travel !!!

gordonthemoron

Established Member
This is why I avoid digital railcards, old school physical railcard doesnt need an update, battery or internet connection.

There should be an industry wide brief highlighting this problrm to prevent penalty fares.
Same here, however the date of my 3 year railcard is wearing off, and it’s only 9 months old

sor

No one is mandating anything.

Some forum members might find it surprising to learn that in the 21st century, many consumers choose digital tickets because they find them more convenient.
I can print out an e ticket, or I can show the PDF they send me without need for a 3rd party app that constantly seeks re-authorisation. I can't print out a "digital" railcard.

There's no reason why it has to be a dedicated app really. I was in the "trial" for the 26-30 and pointed out how fragile the "digital" stuff is (and indeed, one time my railcard just disappeared when an RPI wanted to see it. Properly closing the app and relaunching got it back). They didn't listen.

AM9

Veteran Member
My wife's stopped working yesterday too but mine was totally fine. Foolishly I then updated the app on my phone and it then stopped working on mine too! Fortunately not travelling immediately so not a problem but this is an utterly ridiculous situation when we to rely on the app for our railcards in future. Glad to see it's not just a problem for us though! Hopefully someone will get it sorted soon?
Amended you words to make more sense. ;)

telstarbox

Established Member
Southeastern have written this on Twitter this morning, which at least gives passengers something to show to the guard:

There is currently an ongoing technical issue with Digital Railcards at present. If you are experiencing difficulties with Railcard discounts please speak with staff on board, or at Ticket Offices.

AM9

Veteran Member
I can print out an e ticket, or I can show the PDF they send me without need for a 3rd party app that constantly seeks re-authorisation. I can't print out a "digital" railcard.

There's no reason why it has to be a dedicated app really. I was in the "trial" for the 26-30 and pointed out how fragile the "digital" stuff is. They didn't listen.
The problem is that a barcoded ticket does not allow fraudulent travel because its first usage if known to the railway. A copied railcard can be duplicated many times and used by different people to make many fraudulent journeys. I doubt that anybody would attempt to copy a physical plastic railcard, it would be cheaper to buy one.

sor

The problem is that a barcoded ticket does not allow fraudulent travel because its first usage if known to the railway. A copied railcard can be duplicated many times and used by different people to make many fraudulent journeys. I doubt that anybody would attempt to copy a physical plastic railcard, it would be cheaper to buy one.
they have an app to validate railcards based on the displayed barcode. A guard showed me what it said about mine, it didn't show a photo but it doesn't seem like the challenge of the century to enable it to do so.

the same issue applies to etickets (especially at stations that do not have barriers / are frequently open), but we've managed to overcome that and/or accept the risk

westv

Established Member
Now I've gone for the physical Senior railcard, when I use it will I be constantly be met with disbelief that I am over 60? It didn't ask for any photo so my youthful looks make be an issue.

:D

AM9

Veteran Member
they have an app to validate railcards based on the displayed barcode. A guard showed me what it said about mine, it didn't show a photo but it doesn't seem like the challenge of the century to enable it to do so.

the same issue applies to etickets (especially at stations that do not have barriers / are frequently open), but we've managed to overcome that and/or accept the risk
I think the number of forged railcards would be insignificant in terms of lost revenue and any experienced person inspecting one would ba suspicious unles it was an 'expensive to make' copy, therefore not likely to be worthwhile.

SWT_USER

Southeastern have written this on Twitter this morning, which at least gives passengers something to show to the guard:
That's not really good enough IMO. It should be made clear that if you are unable to show your digital railcard because of the railways failure to provide an adequate system that you will not receive a penalty fare or be prosecuted.

My digital railcard is linked to my SWR smartcard, unless I'd seen this thread I'd have no idea there was an issue as I just touch and go.

mike57

Established Member
Foolishly I then updated the app on my phone and it then stopped working on mine too!
I have automatic updates turned off in my Google play settings, but it is showing as 'Update Pending' which I will not enable. You turn off auto updates in the play store settings, and bear in mind its 'On' by default. For those of you with Android phones (My phone is a Samsung S22 Ultra, other phones may have subtle differences in appearance) this may help:

Open the Play Store app
Click the icon at the top right
Screenshot_20230614_133011_Google Play Store a.jpg

Select settings
Screenshot_20230614_133045_Google Play Store a.jpg
Then network preferences

Screenshot_20230614_133120_Google Play Store a.jpg

Then Auto Update apps
Screenshot_20230614_132812_Google Play Store a.jpg

Then select Dont auto Update apps
Screenshot_20230614_132842_Google Play Store a.jpg

Auto updates is a blunt tool, as well as issues such as the railcard app issue it will often try and update over a flaky wi-fi connection which potentially causes problems. I do an update every couple of weeks, obviously excluding any apps where update problems have been reported.

I prefer to manage updates myself.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Now I've gone for the physical Senior railcard, when I use it will I be constantly be met with disbelief that I am over 60? It didn't ask for any photo so my youthful looks make be an issue.

:D
Wishful thinking. The only time mine has been queried was when I was buying from someone I knew!

occone

Woohoo - mine is showing again.

I'm not sure I trust it at all for my journey this evening. I think I will ask at the ticket office if they are aware of the issue, and also check with the conductor just to make sure I'm on good ground.

I have to say that comms from whoever administrates the railcards has been abysmal. Have any railway staff here formally been told about the issue?

Surely railcard must have a procedure in place for this sort of thing so that all relevant parties become aware of it and can act accordingly? (including for customers, telling us what we should do!)

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Woohoo - mine is showing again.

I'm not sure I trust it at all for my journey this evening. I think I will ask at the ticket office if they are aware of the issue, and also check with the conductor just to make sure I'm on good ground.

I have to say that comms from whoever administrates the railcards has been abysmal. Have any railway staff here formally been told about the issue?

Surely railcard must have a procedure in place for this sort of thing so that all relevant parties become aware of it and can act accordingly? (including for customers, telling us what we should do!)
I've seen frontline briefings yesterday and today about the problem. In fact two have come out in the last couple of hours.

Shrewbly

My cards are showing again now. Decided not to risk it today though and took the car for the two journeys I needed to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.