• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcard expires between outward & return journey

Statto

Established Member
Just looked at my railcard expiry date & it's 16th May 2024, i'm thinking would it be ok to travel out using my railcard discounted fare before then, but renew my railcard before the return journey, & use my new railcard for the return journey?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Just looked at my railcard expiry date & it's 16th May 2024, i'm thinking would it be ok to travel out using my railcard discounted fare before then, but renew my railcard before the return journey, & use my new railcard for the return journey?
That's perfectly valid. No point getting a renewal for days you're not travelling.

gray1404

Established Member
Yes that's fine. What matters is your Railcard is valid on the day of travel. What sort of Railcard is it?

Pemberton

I understood a Railcard can be renewed within 30 days of expiry date and you keep the renewal date, so if it expires on 16th May it could be renewed from 16th April onwards and it will still be valid for a year / 3 years, whatever the length of the Railcard, from the date of the original renewal, not the date you apply, therefore not wasting any days.

Statto

Established Member
It's a disabled persons railcard, which expires on 16th May.

Just asking the question if i can use the railcard to buy railcard discounted tickets & use the tickets on the outward journey before 16th May, but renew the railcard & return after 16th May.

gray1404

Established Member
The answer is yes you can.

You can also renew the Railcard now as it's less then a month until expiry and ensure continued validity. You will need to ensure the Railcard is in your possession when travelling.

It's best to ensure a disabled person's Railcard doesn't expire as you don't want to have to make a new application with evidence again. A renewal is much easier.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's best to ensure a disabled person's Railcard doesn't expire as you don't want to have to make a new application with evidence again. A renewal is much easier.
I agree with this.