• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcard idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalel

Hello everyone, I have received a Intent to prosecute letter, and need your advise on it.

I was travelling from x to y and foolishly check the railcard two-together even knowing my railcard was expired. So embarrassed already. Got checked and out of fear lied that I didn’t find my railcard. Although, i purchased the railcard right away before leaving (unboarding ) the train (journey 20 mins).

Bought the ticket online from trainline app. Previously might have used just one more time.

I have seen other similar posts around it and will follow the same format.
I want to ask if i need to respond and send in the given space on the letter I received or send a separate letter.
Also, do i need to attach new railcard which i bought on the same day?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
When you say you bought the railcard before onboarding the train, do you mean you entered the station, but previous railcard had expired, was then checked at entry barriers, but you then bought before getting on the train.

So please clarify :
Were tickets checked at an entry barrier
Were tickets checked on the train before you bought the railcard

Did you buy the railcard on the train, or on the platform. Some stations have compulsory ticket areas, others don't (and only the compulsory part of a station that does is important)

EDIT, I see you have now amended it to bought new railcard after finishing the journey, so presumably got inspected whilst you didn't have it.

Is this the first train journey since expiry, if not do you buy your tickets at a machine or ticket office (there is no purchase history), or through an app (where they record previous journeys)

Last edited:

Kalel

When you say you bought the railcard before onboarding the train, do you mean you entered the station, but previous railcard had expired, was then checked at entry barriers, but you then bought before getting
My bad, corrected now, leaving the train ( bought online)

Thanks Snow, appreciate your response on this. Can you also advise
if i need to respond and send in the given space on the letter I received or send a separate letter?

Here is my response:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing in response to your letter dated 22 Sep regarding the incident where I failed to present the appropriate railcard while using a discounted ticket between CBG and Hitchin.

Upon reflection, I acknowledge my mistake and deeply regret my actions. I purchased the ticket and erroneously selected the railcard option, despite not possessing a valid one at the time. I have since purchased a railcard to ensure such an oversight does not occur in the future.

When confronted about the matter, I acted impulsively and provided false information, which I now recognize was an ill-considered reaction driven by fear and panic. I sincerely apologize for this lapse in judgment.

I am fully aware of the gravity of my actions, not only in terms of the loss of revenue for the railway but also in breaching the trust and rules set forth. I assure you that this
incident does not reflect my usual conduct, and I am committed to ensuring compliance with all railway regulations moving forward.

I understand the inconvenience and costs associated with investigating this matter. In an effort to resolve this issue amicably, I would like to request the possibility of a settlement that would preclude any need for court proceedings. I am more than willing to reimburse the fare avoided and cover the expenses incurred during the investigation.

Once again, I express my sincere apologies for any disruption or inconvenience caused. I hope for your understanding and willingness to consider my request for an amicable resolution.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Yours sincerely,
[ Name]

Last edited:

Iggy12a

Were there two of you travelling? You only refer to "I" but if you were traveling with a Two Together Railcard, there has to be 2 travellers for any discount to be valid.

Kalel

Yes two pax

Can you please advise on

Do I need to respond within the letter only (in the given space on the letter I received) or send a separate letter.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Yes two pax

Can you please advise on

Do I need to respond within the letter only (in the given space on the letter I received) or send a separate letter.
It's fine to send a separate letter, but make sure everything is cross referenced - so on the form put 'please see attached letter ' and on the letter include your name and address and any reference which is on the form. Hopefully the letter and the form will stay together - but if they get separated you want to maximise the chances of someone being able to put them back together!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Welcome to the forum!

Which train company are you dealing with. I'm assuming Govia Thameslink Railway given the stations you mention but it could also be Greater Anglia as they operate Cambridge station. Either way both of these companies are normally pragmatic in dealing with these sort of issues and I expect you will be offered an out of court settlement as long as you haven't come to their attention before.

I think your letter is generally ok although I suggest referring to what you did as a mistake because it wasn't a mistake. An error of judgement might be a better way of putting it.
Assuming the letter has been sent to your correct address (ie the false details you gave at the time were corrected during the interaction with the officer) then I wouldn't mention giving false details in your letter. Also be careful where you say 'this doesn't reflect my usual conduct', as you initial post indicates you have done this before.

You can use a separate letter to reply to them but do make sure it clearly states the correect case reference number. No need to attach a copy of the railcard.

Kalel

Just wanted to give an update, authority agree to give out of court settlement of £68.60.
Thanks for all your help!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That’s a good result. Thanks for updating us.

Status
Not open for further replies.