Railcard price increase

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Mojo, 20 Dec 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

From January, the price of Young Persons, Family & Senior railcards will increase by 20%, to £24, so if anyone wants one, I'd buy it soon! It might also include Network Railcards, but that website doesn't seem to say very much...

The leaflet seems to imply that you get some money off with this new railcard, but the website seems to say that the offers have already existed.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. 1D53

1D53 Established Member

They've been the same price for years now so I suppose it was time they went up, like everything else in the world.

4. metrocammel

metrocammel Member

They were £16 in 1997, £18 in 2002, £20 in 2007, so there has been a freeze on price increases for the last 5 years or so, which possibly explains the jump to £24, rather than £22. Still, it seems good value. Of interest, are Nat West/HSBC still offering railcards for students at all?

5. Tom B

Tom B Established Member

NatWest offer one for students at uni for 5 years.

6. don24

don24 Member

Im on my first year of the student offer. Natwest have been good with providing the railcards. I doubt they will charge us for the price increase since the 5 year deal is legally binding.

7. metrocammel

metrocammel Member

Yes, thats what I thought, however it isn't shown on the NW website. After searching through Student Forums, someone said they only offer the free RCD during August / September - could this be true? All help appreciated, as my current Y-P runs out in August, and as I'm (hopefully!) off to uni in September, it would be very good to have a 'free' 5-year railcard - considering the amount of travelling I do!!

8. Tom

Tom Guest

I recall seeing a lot of Natwest railcards on w/e, in June - and they said it was a free one!

9. metrocammel

metrocammel Member

Theres still the odd HSBC 'free' rcds knocking around, but I think these are in their final year of validity now (they may have all expired by now). But, yes you do see lots of the Nat West ones (a blue card with photograph).

Going slightly off topic.. I have noticed somthing interesting.
    On the wikipedia Y-P topic, I noticed a picture of an APTIS ticket from 1988, from Luton to Eden Park. It was a "STD RETURN" @ £7.90
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/28/APTIS_Status_Code_Y-P_(Current).JPG

Looking on Avantix, I decided to check the current price, which, for a CDR is £7.90! Is this just a coincidence?? (Would a 'standard return' in 1988 be todays SDR though?)

10. Mojo

Railcards are only given out by NatWest on Student Accounts opened in Aug or Sept.

11. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

That ticket is now priced at £17.15.
    It is a coincidence.
    Yep, it says it is only valid on the date shown, so it is an SDR, not an SOR.

12. Tom B

Tom B Established Member

Yeah, if you apply for a NatWest student account you'll get one for 5 years - although only a year at a time and it won't come through until AFTER you start uni - obviously they check with UCAS / your uni that you've matriculated before they issue you with one, and send you one every June if you're still studying.

In your case, it's probably better to just pay adult fares between August and when you get your new YP, unless you do so much travelling that the YP discounts for that month is more than £24.

13. Mojo

Yes, possibly, but £16 in 1997, accounting for inflation, would not even be equivalent to £20.50 10 years later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.