Railcard website currently broken

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by monxton, 29 Nov 2019.

1. monxton

monxton Member

The railcard website has been down for a few days now. They took it down for maintenance but now they say
    Their Twitter and Facebook are going wild with desperate would-be passengers, who are being advised to pay full fare and claim back afterwards.

I was there because I wanted to get a code to transfer my digital card to a new device. Luckily for me, the old device is still working, so my journey tomorrow is unaffected. It's really a shambles though.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. thewaistcoat

thewaistcoat Member

Yup, they're busted beyond belief. Being trying to move a railcard between phones since yesterday. Luckily I don't need it for a week or so. Must have got TSBs IT team in for their maintenance work. I work in the same field, this is very shabby. The advice I've seen is to pay for a full ticket and to claim the difference back which you can do only once per year!

4. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Forum Staff Staff Member Global Moderator

And this is why, if I had the choice, I'd have stuck with a trusty paper railcard. I have little faith in the industries ability to actually deliver the product via electronic means reliably and even less faith in ensuring I'm not out of pocket if they make a mistake!

5. PeterC

PeterC Established Member

Glad I chose a plastic one when I bought it a few days ago.

6. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Yep, I shall be sticking with a placky one for as long as I can, even if it comes at a small extra fee.

7. infobleep

infobleep Established Member

Surely under the circumstances they would allow one to claim back the difference more than once.

8. trentside

trentside Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

In the circumstances, I would hope so.

I have just checked and RDG sent out a brief to TOCs yesterday requesting that staff use discretion if presented with confirmation emails from affected customers. If they are charged they should be directed back to Railcard customer services to claim the cost back.

9. Rebus

Rebus Member

The site itself seems to be back up now (Sat 30th, 17:50), but it does have this message warning of possible problems still:

"Planned website maintenance 28 Nov - We have completed the website maintenance. However, we are currently experiencing some issues which we are working to fix. We apologise for any inconvenience. Please bear with us during this time."

10. dosxuk

dosxuk Member

This obviously hasn't worked. Been affected by the issue today, and after being on hold for 45 minutes sat on a bench at the station to get through to their customer "support" we eventually got an email (complete with misspelt names) saying "please ignore lack of Railcard". When presented, conductor knew nothing of the issues, and was very suspicious of the email, but eventually decided to let us off with a warning.

Got absolutely zero support or information from the station staff at Sheffield, who just went "we don't do railcards, you'll have to contact whoever you got it from" even when asked what our options were with the railcard tickets (not given an option to excess them to normal tickets).

Furthermore, the cross country app now seems unable to allow you to book tickets for collection, so was stuck with activated e-tickets that if we decided to abandon our journey we couldn't get a refund for (the railcard issue became apparent after activating but before boarding). Overall an extremely frustrating day, caused by factors outside of our control, and we now have complete distrust in any of the (forced) e-ticket solutions.

And just to add a final nail in the coffin, the train we caught was delayed by 45+ minutes, but cross country doesn't recognise my bank details in order to do a delay repay claim. Lots of complaints to write in the coming days!

11. dosxuk

dosxuk Member

For reference, the issue they seem to be facing is confirming purchases, and generating codes to allow you to download the railcard to your device. It appears the website was originally updated on Wednesday and any purchases or downloads since then have been likely to fail.

12. Deafdoggie

Deafdoggie Established Member

The XC website doesn’t allow TOD ticket sales within two hours of travel, they have to be an e-ticket.
    XC want the bank details correct, and if it didn’t match what the bank say it should be they won’t pay into it, as you can then claim you’ve not had the money.

13. dosxuk

dosxuk Member

The app won't allow TOD bookings for a month away. Tickets I was using yesterday were booked on Wednesday but only eTicket was allowed then. Just tried for mid-february and again, only eticket allowed.

And my bank details are correct, as copied and triple checked from my online banking. Even tried different forms of my name (initial surname, firstname surname, Mr initial surname and so on) in case that was what was tripping out, but it was having none of it.

14. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

The banks haven't implemented the name verification thing anyway.

15. radamfi

radamfi Established Member

Is there a good reason for using the XC app or website, rather than using one from a different TOC?

16. dosxuk

dosxuk Member

I was using the EMT app, which I never had any problems with, so when their franchise ended I had to create new accounts. I'd already installed the cross country app for some other reason, so I used that.

17. yorkie

yorkie Forum Staff Staff Member Administrator

Is this ongoing?

There are reports of Avanti staff (Train Manager?) incorrectly charging a customer even though the customer was told they could travel:
    https://twitter.com/maybeitspierre/status/1211623589058957312
    If this is how it appears, it is a breach of consumer and contract laws.

Avanti need to carry out a full investigation.

18. monxton

monxton Member

19. infobleep

infobleep Established Member

I wonder how they can tell that 99% of people are not experiencing any problems? I wouldn't have thought that would be easy, unless they can trace the problem to a subset of cards and know the precise number involved.

20. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Member

The problems have also been affecting plastic railcards ordered online in the last month or so - as one can see from even a cursory trawl of Twitter :P and last time I checked, people were still having little to no luck contacting Railcard customer services for assistance.

I reported problems my partner and myself had arising from this issue a few weeks ago in the following thread:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/advice-with-regards-to-expired-railcard-issue.196801

Latest on this, incidentally, is that having renewed our railcard on Dec 4th, it finally arrived on Dec 23rd - so nearly three weeks, rather than the usual 5 working days.

21. Cletus

Cletus Established Member

I notice that the Tesco clubcard website is now accepting applications again.
    https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/1-year-two-together-railcard/UK-009624.prd

I would need to travel on the 18th January.
    If I cash in my Tesco vouchers and apply online for a railcard, should I anticipate any problems in receipt of my new railcard?
    Would it be best to apply for a plastic or digital one?

22. Cletus

Cletus Established Member

To answer my own questions:
    I cashed in my Tesco clubcard vouchers towards the railcard, which workied ok.
    I then applied online for the digital version of the railcard, that wnt through straight away, and I now have the digital railcard on my phone.
    All of which went through within half an hour. :smile:

23. Class172

Class172 Established Member Quizmaster

Having had my railcard stolen a few days ago, I've been trying to get hold of customer services to provide them with my crime reference number to get a replacement but I must have spend at least 2 hours on hold so far. With mine being a plastic card, can I get a paper substitute provided if I went to a ticket office? Given I have pre-booked travel next weekend on railcard advances, I'm not entirely sure what to do if I cannot source a replacement by then.

24. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Forum Staff Staff Member Global Moderator

Have you tried DM'ing them on Twitter?

25. Haywain

Haywain Established Member

No, ticket offices can’t help with this.

26. zoothorn

zoothorn Member

Website is up but continually looping, rejecting passwords and sending invalid links in the reset password link. Looks like I'll have to buy a 1 year railcard at the station, so that will be extra revenue for RDG due to their inability to run, what used to be a very reasonable website

27. gray1404

gray1404 Established Member

I think you just need to call the helpline first thing when it opens so you are near the front of the que. Then, stay on hold as long as it takes for them to answer you. If you can get this done on Friday then hopefully you'll have your replacement railcard by next weekend, even allowing for second class post.

28. thedbdiboy

thedbdiboy Member

29. Indigo2

Indigo2 Established Member

I was thinking for these sorts of problems where a passenger has to pay extra up front due to errors/omissions by a TOC or its suppliers - if the rule was that the passenger was refunded double the difference, it might make it a bit more palatable as well as putting a bit more pressure on to get the problems fixed!

30. thewaistcoat

thewaistcoat Member

Railcard site is still borked meaning I haven't been able to transfer my railcard to a new phone since their site 'upgrade' back in November. Luckily I haven't needed to go anywhere in the meantime, but I plan to travel at the weekend. Rather than carry my old phone around with me, I sent a Facebook direct message to them today with my name, email (as railcard have it recorded) and my railcard number asking of if they could help. They messaged me back within 20 minutes with a new download code and my railcard is now on my new phone. Probably worth a go if you're in a similar situation.