• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Hi guys,

I have to have an idiot moment here, but I'm just wondering,can I use my 16-25 railcard on Cardiff Valley Lines services bought on the train that day?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As long as there was no opportunity to buy before travel (i.e. a working TVM which takes the full range of payment options or an open booking office) then yes it's perfectly fine to buy a railcard discounted ticket on board.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
But I've just checked the prices of a return from Cardiff to Penarth (a journey I do every day to go to college) and the price is the same as it would be without the railcard?! (£3.40)

SS4

Established Member
But I've just checked the prices of a return from Cardiff to Penarth (a journey I do every day to go to college) and the price is the same as it would be without the railcard?! (£3.40)

Chances are you're running into the minimum fare (£12 before 10am except weekends, public holidays, July and August) which means it's cheaper to travel on an undiscounted ticket. Generally if you're travelling to college often it's easier to look into a season ticket, especially if there are special (ie reduced) rates for students.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Chances are you're running into the minimum fare (£12 before 10am except weekends, public holidays, July and August) which means it's cheaper to travel on an undiscounted ticket

Oh well that's useless then! Think I'll stick to my weekly season ticket and use my railcard on long-distance journeys instead.

SS4

Established Member
The railcard is designed for leisure trips, especially long distance ones anyway.

Flamingo

Established Member
Well, that's true...

What about that VAL discount? I don't know a lot about it, just that if I find them on FGW I charge them.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
just remember to carry your Railcard with you when you travel. Email confirmation of purchase is not a valid railcard! ;)

First class

Established Member
How are you sure it isn't valid on FGW? On the basis of the ATW leaflet? The Manual doesn't say a restriction applies.

Flamingo

Established Member
It's probably the bit where it says "...can only be used on Arriva Trains Wales services..." that is a giveaway...

First class

Established Member
It's probably the bit where it says "...can only be used on Arriva Trains Wales services..." that is a giveaway...

I only ask because ATW got other TOCs to sign the PIF for that product and we all signed, including FGW...

FGW are getting revenue from that ticket sale through ORCATS, regardless what discount is applied. The railcard itself doesn't say valid only on ATW as far as I can tell, and the tickets are routed Any Permitted. The Manual entry does not mention a restriction.

It wouldn't comply with Condition 10 NRCoC if it restricted the holder to ATW services.

All of this combined, I would really advise you to speak to Mr Pritchard to clarify FGW position.

Certainly the Pembrokshire/Senior Valleys Railcard and Ticket to Ride are definitely inter-available.

Why would just 1 of the entire range of Welsh railcard prohibit other TOCs?

Last edited by a moderator:

Flamingo

Established Member
The railcard does say ATW only, I've pointed it out to passengers before now. Off the top of my head, I can't remember what the ticket says, I'll try and get my hands on one from barrier staff to look at it.

As regards the other issues you have raised, they are all above my paygrade. Why not contact Mr Pritchard yourself if you feel that strongly about it.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The railcard does say ATW only, I've pointed it out to passengers before now. Off the top of my head, I can't remember what the ticket says, I'll try and get my hands on one from barrier staff to look at it.

If the Railcard says ATW Only, then there is no requirement for the ticket to change (I would imagine it would be moderately complex to have systems print a different routeing just because of a railcard discount).

It's the same situation as GroupSave - a Bristol-Exeter GPS-3 ticket would be routed Any Permitted, despite only being valid on FGW services (and SWT if via Westbury is a permitted route).

thedbdiboy

I only ask because ATW got other TOCs to sign the PIF for that product and we all signed, including FGW...

FGW are getting revenue from that ticket sale through ORCATS, regardless what discount is applied. The railcard itself doesn't say valid only on ATW as far as I can tell, and the tickets are routed Any Permitted. The Manual entry does not mention a restriction.

It wouldn't comply with Condition 10 NRCoC if it restricted the holder to ATW services.

FGW would need to have signed the PIF even if it isn't valid on their services. The allocations are a seperate matter, allocation of revenue is not evidence of validity and can be altered or disputed between TOCs via established internal processes.

Regarding condition 10, the current fares system doesn't allow operator restrictions via discount to be shown on the travel ticket so this restrictions is instead shown on the discount card doumentation.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Yes, the ATW Valleys Student Railcard costs £9 a year and gives a 26% discount on day tickets and 10% discount on season tickets on ATW Valleys & Cardiff local routes to those over 16 in full-time education or under 26 in part-time education. There are no time restrictions.

Thanks for the link, unfortunately it's not worth getting one now because I finish college in July and I'm going to Bristol Uni instead! If you can find any good deals to Bristol with FGW then do post! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.