• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcards and Covid19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are people really worried about a card that costs perhaps £2.50 a month (£1.94 a month for a 3 year Senior), and saves so much off of a ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Are people really worried about a card that costs perhaps £2.50 a month (£1.94 a month for a 3 year Senior), and saves so much off of a ticket?
Some people will be, yes. It depends how much money is available to the person, especially if they've lost their job, and whether they make that much use of the card in normal times. £2.50 will feed a person for several days if in dire straits.

35B

Established Member
It’s not just about the money. When someone sells something that is then rendered unusable, the feeling of frustration at the lack of value from it is sometimes disproportionate to the actual cost. Extending validity is a simple, relatively low cost, way to acknowledge that sentiment and appeal to the purchaser rather than wind them up.

It‘s what English Heritage have done for members, giving a 3 month membership extension because their properties are closed (so actually an over compensation if anything). I appreciate the gesture (the need for which I’d not thought about at all), and have gladly taken them up on their suggestion that I donate the value of the extension back to them rather than benefit from the 3 months.

I think many companies with long term products affected by lockdown would do well to consider that example for how they relate to their customers.

the feeling of frustration at the lack of value from it is sometimes disproportionate to the actual cost.
I tend to look at it as overall still being good value for money (unless of course this goes on for many months ), as having renewed from 1 April I have not saved one penny yet but hope over the lifetime of the card to, as usual, save hundreds of pounds. Here's hoping!

Statto

Established Member
I'm on limited income & my disabled railcard has saved me money many a time when i travel by rail, some journeys [Liverpool-Birmingham] i'm paying £40 instead of £60 for an anytime ticket, & that £20 saving for one return journey can make a big difference, my railcard is up for renewal in September though

LondonJohn

I’m in a slightly different situation. I renewed my Network Card online at the beginning of March. I used to have them from January to December bought at stations but didn’t travel in January and February so didn’t renew at that time. I intended to travel at the end of March. With the lockdown my plans were obviously cancelled but I never received my railcard and it slipped my mind. I queried it online and was told that because I didn’t report its non receipt sooner I’ve got to pay a £10 admin fee. They also advised me they are looking at extending the validity of Railcard’s but can’t guarantee it. I’ve logged a complaint and will possibly dispute the card charge with my bank if they insist of changing me a further £10 for something I can’t currently use.

LondonJohn

But hasn't NE withdrawn all its services ? The railway is still available.

In the case of a Network Card it’s pretty much geared for off peak leisure travel which isn’t permitted now due to the lockdown regulations. Therefore one would expect its validity to be extended or cards now rendered worthless to be refunded.

gray1404

Established Member
Again, travel for non essential travel is against the law so it makes the railway unavailable for the leisure market. So we come full circle due to services not being available to the public at large, railcard validity needs to be extended accordingly.

Established Member
Again, travel for non essential travel is against the law so it makes the railway unavailable for the leisure market. So we come full circle due to services not being available to the public at large, railcard validity needs to be extended accordingly.
Until the DfT agree to pay for it then I wouldnt hold your breath.

Established Member
If RDG and the DfT wont extend season tickets then I think there'll be little chance of seeing an extension for Railcards.

Established Member
It is comparable because unless train travel is essential then it equates to a travel ban of a considerable length.
It's not though. Because there are train services still running albeit with government instructions for people not to use them, whereas with NatEx they made a commercial decision to pull the service entirely. Therefore, not the same scenario.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We are going round in circles

I agree it's not the same scenario.

It's not true to say they can only be used for "leisure" travel. Travel is still allowed under certain circumstances (as defined in the legislation) and trains are running and some people are still able to use the Railcard.

Yes some people have 'lost out' from not being able to use the benefits for some of the period of validity; that doesn't necessarily mean a refund should be offered but I think we will see something happen to appease people. I think the most likely outcome is a promotion for Railcard renewals or something along those lines; either a discount or extended validity. I'd keep hold of any expired Railcards for now in case such an offer materialises.

Last edited:

David M

I'm aware that at the start of lockdown there were a few threads asking about Railcards - if refunds were to be made available/cards extended/renewals for 15months etc but I've seen nothing recently.
I have both a Senior Railcard and a Two Together Railcard (myself and my wife).
Neither of us have used our railcards since Sunday 1st March - I'm not looking for any refund as c'est la vie etc but...
By this time last year (and the year before) Railcard had emailed me saying that my Railcards need renewal but I've had nothing this year - I obviously don't know when next I/we will be using the railway but Saturday 12th September looks a possibility.
Does the fact I've not been emailed suggest they're looking at what to do about the effects of C-19 or do I just bite the bullet and renew them both?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I suspect that they've stopped emailing reminders about renewals as part of the strategy to discourage people from travelling by train.

IIRC after Hatfield in 2000 all railcards sold for a 12 month period had 15 months validity so everyone renewing a railcard benefitted.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I suspect that they've stopped emailing reminders about renewals as part of the strategy to discourage people from travelling by train.

IIRC after Hatfield in 2000 all railcards sold for a 12 month period had 15 months validity so everyone renewing a railcard benefitted.

Social distancing is still required on trains, so it is premature to excessively stimulate demand just yet. It is currently just 'organically' returning, by and large.

When the time is right, it will be done.

gray1404

Established Member
I'm in a similar position, my railcard runs out on 30 August but I'm concerned that if I renew now I may miss out on an extension period granted later.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'm in a similar position, my railcard runs out on 30 August but I'm concerned that if I renew now I may miss out on an extension period granted later.
At the end of the day it's not much money - if you renew now and the grant an extension period then it's unlikely to be more than 6 months (so £15) - £15 really isn't worth getting concerned about.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
To clarify what I remember happening after Hatfield. Once things were back to normal there was a year long period when all railcards were valid for 12 months. I can't remember the exact dates but it was something like this:

Accident happened in October 2000
Any railcards purchased between 1 May 2001 and 30 April 2002 had 15 months validity as a 'thank you'. It was all railcards, whether renewals or new ones.

I've no idea if this will happen this time but it would be a relatively quick win.

Status
Not open for further replies.