• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcards on TFL Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

RailMad

I couldn't find a recent thread on this, but apologies if there is one. Does anyone know if there is a way to apply a 16-25 railcard on a journey from Taplow to Paddington? The only way I can find is through buying a paper ticket!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I couldn't find a recent thread on this, but apologies if there is one. Does anyone know if there is a way to apply a 16-25 railcard on a journey from Taplow to Paddington? The only way I can find is through buying a paper ticket!

Get an Oyster card (rather than contactless) and have the Railcard applied to that?

sonic2009

Established Member
If travelling one way it's cheaper to use contactless.

Taplow - London Paddington

SDS £12.00 before 10am (Minimum fare applies on railcard)
SDS £11.50 before 10am without the use of railcard
Contactless Peak 0630-0930 £11.30
SDS £7.60 after 10am with railcard
Contactless Off Peak after 0930 £6.20

JonathanH

Veteran Member
If travelling one way it's cheaper to use contactless.

Taplow - London Paddington

SDS £12.00 before 10am (Minimum fare applies on railcard)
SDS £11.50 before 10am without the use of railcard
Contactless Peak 0630-0930 £11.30
SDS £7.60 after 10am with railcard
Contactless Off Peak after 0930 £6.20
I imagine that that will be scant consolation for the OP would like to pay £4.10 for this journey at off-peak times given the 'paper' off-peak day return with a railcard is £8.30.

HSP 2

What time would you want to go to London and what time would you want to return?

RailMad

Thanks all for the replies. It would vary as I work shifts. Some would be peak, some off peak.

JBuchananGB

But surely the 'paper' ticket can be bought on an app as an e-ticket, and if the OP requires a return fare he can use the £8.30 fare when he travels off-peak both ways.

cactustwirly

Established Member
But surely the 'paper' ticket can be bought on an app as an e-ticket, and if the OP requires a return fare he can use the £8.30 fare when he travels off-peak both ways.
Trainline only offers collect at station

JBuchananGB

Tell that to Trainline. I also tried Greater Anglia and Northern but they get their fulfilment from Trainline. GA offered pick up at station or load onto smartcard. Northern only offered pickup at station. If the OP does not want a paper ticket at the station, he could use RSH and get an E-ticket.

Acton1991

Until TFL work out how to add railcards to contactless cards, there’s no railcard discount on contactless fares. Super annoying!

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Until TFL work out how to add railcards to contactless cards, there’s no railcard discount on contactless fares. Super annoying!
Surely its not rocket science to add a railcard discount to an online Oyster account so that any contactless cards registered have the discount applied

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Surely its not rocket science to add a railcard discount to an online Oyster account so that any contactless cards registered have the discount applied
As I understand it one of the main issues is how revenue can identify that a contactless card has got a discount attached to it so that they can ask for the railcard.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
As I understand it one of the main issues is how revenue can identify that a contactless card has got a discount attached to it so that they can ask for the railcard.
That's a good point, but in the nearly twenty years I've had an Oystercard with my staff discount attached, not once have I been asked to show the entitlement to the discount

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That's a good point, but in the nearly twenty years I've had an Oystercard with my staff discount attached, not once have I been asked to show the entitlement to the discount
I've been asked on a couple of occasions in the year prior to covid. Once when changing at Kings Cross St Pancras, the other on the Piccadilly Line between Holborn and Leicester Square.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Are e tickets valid on tfl rail the barriers at Ealing Broadway are not set up for it if they are.

Non Multi

Are e tickets valid on tfl rail the barriers at Ealing Broadway are not set up for it if they are.
I recently saw that the all new Langley gatelines don't have optical code readers fitted. So I suspect the only stations that do are run by GWR.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes. There are plenty of journeys where e-tickets are available even though the journey might involve passing through a station or gateline not equipped with scanners.

cactustwirly

Established Member
TfL Rail and London Overground have always been flagged as not to be enabled for eTickets when batch enablements have been performed.

I would have thought the Western end would have to be, because it shares flows with GWR who offer e tickets

matt_world2004

Established Member
I would have thought the Western end would have to be, because it shares flows with GWR who offer e tickets
I imagine that would require GwR to pay for the gate lines at tfl rail stations to include barcode scanners. Something they probably weren't willing to do considering they would get minimal revenue from the flows at these stations.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So I have all of my contactless cards added to my account. I have been known to lend a card to a friend when we went out for a day. If I was entitled to a discount, should my friend be given it too?

35B

Established Member
So I have all of my contactless cards added to my account. I have been known to lend a card to a friend when we went out for a day. If I was entitled to a discount, should my friend be given it too?
Where would that leave you in terms of your bank T&Cs?

matt_world2004

Established Member
An RPI an't retain a contactless card as evidence of discount fraud. Or to prevent continued discount usage

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Yeah this is the problem. Oyster is an owned TfL product; get into the realms of bank cards and that's a whole new logistical and possible legal issue.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
You're not supposed to lend out an Oystercard that has a Railcard discount added either.
But its no easy solution, unless there's the realtime ability for the system to know that any card has a Railcard discount applied to it

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Personally I would say so yes. Although legally and ethically speaking, they should probably not.

The trouble is that it would be morally wrong to allow your friend to pay more than you, knowing that you have a way to help them pay less, saving them money. Especially if they would qualify for the discount if they applied for it in their own right.

Yeah this is the problem. Oyster is an owned TfL product; get into the realms of bank cards and that's a whole new logistical and possible legal issue.
The only way to police this would be to only allow the discount to be used by the person whose name is on the bank card. As in more cases than not, a bank card should only be used by it’s owner. Anyone caught with someone else’s card may have more to worry about than using a discount if they “borrowed” it.

You're not supposed to lend out an Oystercard that has a Railcard discount added either.
But its no easy solution, unless there's the realtime ability for the system to know that any card has a Railcard discount applied to it
What about if you want to lend your Oyster card to someone who has their own railcard? Should be no different to them making use of a discounted national rail ticket.

I am highly against all of this business of tying rail products to an individual. Everything should be transferrable. If the money has been paid for a journey or journeys, who they are made by is completely irrelevant.

Doris should be allowed to use Jean’s Senior Railcard discounted tickets to visit her Grandson. If Jack has lost his ZIP Oyster card and his brother is off sick, he should be able to use his one to get to school whilst waiting for a replacement to arrive. TFL never make any allowances or exceptions for these scenarios.

I’m inclined to believe that there are many more people who buy non-discounted tickets and Oyster products who would qualify for a railcard, than those making use of a discount to which they are not entitled to. So it evens out.

Status
Not open for further replies.