• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dorsetman

I have had mine for a few years and never been asked to show it however I always keep it with me.

Most conductors don't ask to see it if you purchased your ticket at a booking office, but if you have a ticket purchased from a machine, they will usually want to see your card.

Malderon

I was wondering on a similar topic what the programming was on the barriers for Y-P (or other discounted tickets.)

It seems almost random whether the barrier rejects my ticket. I travelled to London twice on a YP ticket last week and I was stopped by the barrier at Chichester on the way one time but not the other, and also stopped at the barrier at London Bridge once on the way out of the station and neither time on the way in. At London Bridge due to the queues and general business when I went to the staff member he just let me through barely even glancing at my ticket, wheras at Chichester they wanted to see the railcard (probably just a matter of volume and holding other passengers up)

cjp

Keep your railcard in your ticket wallet. Then, when you take your ticket out you can just show the railcard with no extra effort.

Booked my tickets yesterday with my senior railcard and not counting the railcard but including the reservations for the change of trains I have 19 tickets got the return journey London to Plockton with bicycle.

They will not all fit in my wallet and I worry about loosing them.
I figure when I get checked I will just ask the checker to help themselves to any they need.

Very helpful ticket clerk at at London who gave me all these cards a with nice single page printed itinerary thing:D

trainophile

Established Member
When I'm carrying a handbag and a holdall I haven't enough hands to show my ticket, my Advance reservation and my Railcard. I'd love to be able to speed up the inspectors' progress through the train but I'm afraid they might have to wait a few moments while I assemble all the required documentation!

My Advance tickets reject at barriers nine out of ten times anyway, so if they are going to want to see the full deck when they let me through, that's going to be fun.

TGVDUDE

I always show my railcard with my ticket, although sometimes, not often, conductors ask for the picture part too.

This reminds me, my railcard expires this week

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was wondering on a similar topic what the programming was on the barriers for Y-P (or other discounted tickets.)

It seems almost random whether the barrier rejects my ticket
I think you answered your own question ;) But it's not random, it's up to the managers in charge of each barrier to decide (or company policy).

jon0844

Veteran Member
I do think that TOCs should consider putting up posters to inform people why their valid tickets may sometimes be rejected.

As Yorkie says, different gateline staff (or by company policy, which might be all the time or at certain times of the day) will configure the gates to reject certain tickets. These are often child tickets, and YPRC discounted tickets. I've never had my season blocked, which I always found surprising as I'd have thought that some random checks would likely catch out people sharing their seasons with friends and family.

Doing such checks is fine, except I've seen over and over again that gateline staff don't explain WHY the ticket was rejected. They may look at the child with his child ticket and say 'that's fine' and guide him through the wide access gate. Now, having your ticket rejected could be quite stressful, or even embarrassing, not least the fear that you'll get problems at the other end. It's also unlikely that many people will ask, so it's as if the TOC is trying to keep this 'trick' secret.

Again, with the need to check a railcard, it would actually be quite beneficial to make it quite clear and public knowledge that these tickets will require a check. It might just remind chancers the importance of carrying their railcard (and, likewise, not sharing them - as is quite common at Hatfield between students, despite a railcard not costing that much!). It will also stop people trying over and over again to use their valid ticket when the gate will never accept it, causing people behind to get frustrated with the poor person!

trainophile

Established Member
When my Advance ticket is rejected the gate staff member often looks at me with some disbelief, as if I haven't bothered even trying it. I've taken to saying "Advance ticket rejected as usual" when I show it to them now, resisting the urge to :roll:. If I wasn't a regular traveller and able to look after myself I might find it embarrassing, because the initial reaction is "ello ello ello what's going on here then?".

LondonJohn

I have only had my tickets checked once on my last 20 journeys with SWT between Waterloo and Southampton. I have a Gold Card Wimbledon Z1-3 so get a boundary ticket down to Hampshire.

Because the Gold Card is so valuable, as we have seen from previous threads, I tend to keep that in my zipped up pocket inside my bag and the ticket in my wallet.

On the only time when the guy did check the ticket without asking to see my railcard the couple on the adjacent table didnt have their railcard and the guard said ok and walked off after asking to see it but told them to make sure they had it next time.

wintonian

Established Member
I don't they know! I can go to a station that I know will reject the type of ticket I have, approach the barrier and they will still insist I put it through.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

trainophile

Established Member
I don't they know! I can go to a station that I know will reject the type of ticket I have, approach the barrier and they will still insist I put it through.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Yes, which means queueing up twice, and having to fight one's way back from the queue of other people waiting to go through the barriers.

I wish they would fix the system so that Advance tickets go through the barriers, or put a notice up to the effect that people with Advance tickets should show them at the gate and not bother with the barriers.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Yes, which means queueing up twice, and having to fight one's way back from the queue of other people waiting to go through the barriers.

I wish they would fix the system so that Advance tickets go through the barriers, or put a notice up to the effect that people with Advance tickets should show them at the gate and not bother with the barriers.

Where's that? My advance tickets usually go through the barriers at Leeds and Kings X just fine (they're not even for Leeds!).

Muzer

Established Member
The thing I hate most is when they run out of season ticket stock and just print it on normal ticket stock. I travel to college each day, and so get tickets for one or two half-terms depending on how much money my mum has at the time ;). So, say she's paid for 13 weeks (two half-terms), and my ticket gets worn out after two or three... I then have 10-11 weeks of showing the ticket to the barrier staff at Salisbury, who then have the cheek to say that I should pay them an extra fiver to get it replaced when it was another SWT ticket office that had run out in the first place and caused me all the problems!

And yeah, about the barriers rejecting tickets thing - I remember travelling to Oxford on the train a few months before my 16th birthday, and I was very worried when the gate rejected my ticket and someone walked over and asked me my date of birth - I have a stammer as well, so he seemed very suspicious of me, but did let me through after a few moments.

benk1342

I do think that TOCs should consider putting up posters to inform people why their valid tickets may sometimes be rejected.

As Yorkie says, different gateline staff (or by company policy, which might be all the time or at certain times of the day) will configure the gates to reject certain tickets. These are often child tickets, and YPRC discounted tickets. I've never had my season blocked, which I always found surprising as I'd have thought that some random checks would likely catch out people sharing their seasons with friends and family.

Doing such checks is fine, except I've seen over and over again that gateline staff don't explain WHY the ticket was rejected. They may look at the child with his child ticket and say 'that's fine' and guide him through the wide access gate. Now, having your ticket rejected could be quite stressful, or even embarrassing, not least the fear that you'll get problems at the other end. It's also unlikely that many people will ask, so it's as if the TOC is trying to keep this 'trick' secret.

Again, with the need to check a railcard, it would actually be quite beneficial to make it quite clear and public knowledge that these tickets will require a check. It might just remind chancers the importance of carrying their railcard (and, likewise, not sharing them - as is quite common at Hatfield between students, despite a railcard not costing that much!). It will also stop people trying over and over again to use their valid ticket when the gate will never accept it, causing people behind to get frustrated with the poor person!

Exactly. When I first moved to this country I was very confused when my Network Railcard discounted tickets would get seemingly randomly rejected---it made me feel like I was doing something wrong.

wintonian

Established Member
Exactly. When I first moved to this country I was very confused when my Network Railcard discounted tickets would get seemingly randomly rejected---it made me feel like I was doing something wrong.

Nice idea, but I think we have too many posters as it is penalty fares, engineering works & associated timetables, 'right time railway' etc.

They need too thinned out and prioritised, as it is I expect people don't bother to look at the important ones due to the bombardment.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It's all about the positioning of such posters, to stop the constant bombardment of information.

However, a far more effective form of communication comes from the member of staff. Sure, they're probably tired of explaining and find it easier to say 'that's fine, come through' but that is making life easier for them, not the customer/passenger!

island

Veteran Member
The thing I hate most is when they run out of season ticket stock and just print it on normal ticket stock. I travel to college each day, and so get tickets for one or two half-terms depending on how much money my mum has at the time ;). So, say she's paid for 13 weeks (two half-terms), and my ticket gets worn out after two or three... I then have 10-11 weeks of showing the ticket to the barrier staff at Salisbury, who then have the cheek to say that I should pay them an extra fiver to get it replaced when it was another SWT ticket office that had run out in the first place and caused me all the problems!
Did they really say that? There is no fee to replace a damaged but legible ticket.

trainophile

Established Member
Not sure what explanation they could give for the seemingly random rejection of tickets at barriers. They usually seem as bewildered as I am as to the reason! Occasionally they keep hold of the ticket so I've assumed that is to enable them to investigate, but as they don't seem to get the problem sorted I think they don't know the reason themselves.

I think the introduction of barriers was hailed as an all singing all dancing breakthrough, so they are loath to admit to any doubt that it hasn't actually improved things much. Whether the number of staff required has reduced because of barriers I do not know, but clearly we are a long way from unstaffed barriered stations being viable.

Muzer

Established Member
Did they really say that? There is no fee to replace a damaged but legible ticket.
They did indeed!

Thankfully I haven't had that problem for a while, as we usually forget to get a season ticket for the first few days anyway so they've had a chance to replemish their stock after the initial rush ;)

trainophile

Established Member
So there I sat this morning when the ticket inspector came through, journey ticket, timed res coupon and railcard wallet splayed in my hand, and he just glanced at the journey ticket saying "that's the one I need, thank you" and ignored the rest.

Obviously I am looking my age today! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.