• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Raileasy split ticketing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Not trying to be a nitpicker but just below the aforementioned percentages;

at the same time and most probally in the same seat. This is what split ticketing is all about.

On the other hand though, the website does look rather sleek.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Is this the best split for Lockerbie to Gretna Green?

Screenshot 2014-04-15 23.24.08.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-04-15 23.19.09.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-04-15 23.19.09.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Goatboy

Established Member
£50.80 to do Lockerbie to Gretna Green?! That's a serious bit of ching, I'd have not expected it to be even half of that!

Wow, its only a 20 minute drive, why is this fare so expensive?

£50 for 17 miles?!

Surely a taxi would cost less?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There must be a reason why this ticket is so expensive?

Could be something to do with these two stations being fairly well used compared to many other stations in Scotland. Thus, fares from other stations further down the line to Lockerbie (eg Sanquhar) can be cheaper (which they are) so the stations that see the highest usage have higher fares.

Goatboy

Established Member
Could be something to do with these two stations being fairly well used compared to many other stations in Scotland. Thus, fares from other stations further down the line to Lockerbie (eg Sanquhar) can be cheaper (which they are) so the stations that see the highest usage have higher fares.

I can't see how that can possibly justify £50 for an offpeak return between two stations just 17 miles apart. It's madness, even the Heathrow Express isnt that expensive.

higthomas

yet using TCBC it can go down to £22.20, still incredible but significantly less.
Is the reason this isn't coming up because that website won't give two anytime singles as an option instead of forcing one to use return fares?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you think that's bad, check out fares between KGX and STP.

Apparently, you get charged £9 to make a one minute walk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 83

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
For those of you that don't already know, I'm behind the technology powering splitticketing.com

Thanks for the heads-up on Lockerbie to Gretna - that is now fixed. Please feel free to make any suggestions and report any bugs in this thread (or by PM if you prefer).

There's still a long way to go with this tool, but we have to start somewhere. I hope that it will be a useful tool for anyone planning a journey, but I do accept that experts can do better with other techniques such as starting/stopping short. I don't foresee any automatic tool for this being made available to the public for the time being.

There is another access portal you can use - www.trainsplit.com - this allows you to set VIA points for your journeys.

Goatboy

Established Member
If you think that's bad, check out fares between KGX and STP.

Apparently, you get charged £9 to make a one minute walk.

Nobody would ever buy that though, whereas Lockerbie and Gretna are adjacent towns I'd imagine people will often travel between. Perhaps it would be better off in its own thread but it seems nothing short of scandalous that the fare is £50 return, it's bizarre in the extreme.

34D

Established Member
For those of you that don't already know, I'm behind the technology powering splitticketing.com

Thanks for the heads-up on Lockerbie to Gretna - that is now fixed. Please feel free to make any suggestions and report any bugs in this thread (or by PM if you prefer).

There's still a long way to go with this tool, but we have to start somewhere. I hope that it will be a useful tool for anyone planning a journey, but I do accept that experts can do better with other techniques such as starting/stopping short. I don't foresee any automatic tool for this being made available to the public for the time being.

There is another access portal you can use - www.trainsplit.com - this allows you to set VIA points for your journeys.

Nicky,

I'm confused. Could you suggest which of the half a dozen URL's mentioned in this thread are yours and which are raileasy's?

To Mike at RailEasy - please see the latest issue of rail - think someone needs to wine and dine Barry Doe.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Nicky,

I'm confused. Could you suggest which of the half a dozen URL's mentioned in this thread are yours and which are raileasy's?

They ultimately all point back to the same system. Most people will use splitticketing.com (and it's subdomains) because it's designed to look the most simple. Trainsplit.com is designed to give some extra options (via points and the like) but won't be marketed much.

tractakid

It would be nice if trainsplit had the option of displaying all the calling points of the train services, especially to show that the train does indeed stop at the split station!

Mike@Raileasy

Verified Rep
Nicky,

To Mike at RailEasy - please see the latest issue of rail - think someone needs to wine and dine Barry Doe.

Thanks for the heads up re Barry Doe, I'll get hold of a copy.

I've been spending a lot of time recently on the UK rail retailing enigma i.e how can advertising cost + card costs + ToD costs + hosting + access charges/lines to back end systems (live & test) + data inc licenses + staff (inc call centre) < 5% of an "average" long distance transaction.

As per above, Sickynicky has created the splitting algorithm, it uses the Raileasy API for data and access to UK rail back end systems and we have a "marketing partner" who is responsible for the splitticketing.com and splittickets.com domains. But as Sickynicky says, it's all one engine under the hood.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
We've been doing some posting about splitticketing.com on the Tickety Split thread on MSE. The guys in the office told me yesterday all posts have been removed.

Thought that site was supposed to be "impartial"?

Also would like to mention we are currently testing advance splits functionality (with multiple splits). This needs to be signed off by ATOC/RSP re: NRS usage but we're confident we have a smart way of doing this that will be able to find these for the user and satisfy everyone else.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
We've been doing some posting about splitticketing.com on the Tickety Split thread on MSE. The guys in the office told me yesterday all posts have been removed.

It was when it started out.

It became increasing partial until its takeover by moneysupermarket after which pretty much all pretence at impartiality has been dropped as fas as I know.

aleph_0

They've got a system for having official company reps. I'd be disappointed if they wouldn't let you become a company rep - it would clearly be in the interest of forum users.

But, their terms preventing company reps posting without authorisation/verification seem reasonable. There's a real risk otherwise that the forums could get fill of advertising/psuedo-advertising, or trouble makers pretending to be from a company.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
But, their terms preventing company reps posting without authorisation/verification seem reasonable. There's a real risk otherwise that the forums could get fill of advertising/psuedo-advertising, or trouble makers pretending to be from a company.

It's the same in this forum. When we launched split ticketing I had to change my user category to a verified rep - and it's precisely that - verified.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It would be nice if trainsplit had the option of displaying all the calling points of the train services, especially to show that the train does indeed stop at the split station!

I am looking at options for this now. It needs to be done in such a way that it doesn't get confusing for non-experts.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You have to be a verified rep on MSE.

Even I can't link to brfares.com, any of the split ticket /Raileasy site links, Retro Railtours, fare history.info, MikeWh's Oyster website on MSE!

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP

Done. You can click on the train details (where it says "London Midland train service to Liverpool", for example) and it will open a new tab at brtimes.com with the service details.

dzug2

Nobody would ever buy that though, whereas Lockerbie and Gretna are adjacent towns I'd imagine people will often travel between. Perhaps it would be better off in its own thread but it seems nothing short of scandalous that the fare is £50 return, it's bizarre in the extreme.

I can imagine the geographically challenged visitor buying it

Originally posted by JakeF I meant splitticketing.com levying an additional charge (10% of the saving) on the consumer, for finding the split/s, whereas one could find these splits by themself, for free, by using NRE etc, albeit a very time-consuming task. But that's where the 'convenience' aspect of it comes in I suppose.

Finding them oneself requires a higher degree of knowledge of geography and the rail network than the average consumer has

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Finding them oneself requires a higher degree of knowledge of geography and the rail network than the average consumer has

Agreed, but as maniacmartin said we aren't necessarily the target market for the product. In hindsight to my comment this actually seems like a good idea for the average Joe looking to save money.

Status
Not open for further replies.