• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK catchphrases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Okay it’s clear that this discussion is going nowhere and parties on both sides won’t be changing their view so we’ve decided to close this one.

If anyone has anything new to say on this topic, please report this post with a draft of what you want to post, and we’ll review it.

Thanks folks.

Nicely done! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Okay it’s clear that this discussion is going nowhere and parties on both sides won’t be changing their view so we’ve decided to close this one.

If anyone has anything new to say on this topic, please report this post with a draft of what you want to post, and we’ll review it.

Thanks folks.
So tempted to report for self-promoted backseat moderation :lol:;)

It is the “folks” that makes it so accurate :lol: I’ve never known a moderator that doesn’t use that term, and I love it. ;)

“…But that’s too sensible so it’ll never happen”
I normally see it as “but this is the railway, so doing so would be far too sensible” :lol:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It is the “folks” that makes it so accurate :lol: I’ve never known a moderator that doesn’t use that term, and I love it.
Are you sure about that? ;) If you can identify a post where I have actively used that term (not simply quoted it) I will buy you a drink! :D

Rhymney
North Berwick
Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft
Cumbria Coast
Fife Circle
And not forgetting WCRC to Windermere

We've made a good start!
Great list; I've actually done all of those! :D

"Ringway Airport" :rolleyes:
The first time I saw that, I genuinely had no idea what it referred to and had to look it up!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
As we’ve covered everything we’re now bringing this thread to a close, thanks folks.

Normally about 5 seconds before I’m about to hit “post” after spending ages writing a long reply :lol:

Or "This thread is going around in circles and no new information has been forthcoming so we're going to close it for now"

So tempted to report for self-promoted backseat moderation :lol:;)

It is the “folks” that makes it so accurate :lol: I’ve never known a moderator that doesn’t use that term, and I love it. ;)

I normally see it as “but this is the railway, so doing so would be far too sensible” :lol:

I've never used "folks"!

Personally I often see "it really isn't as simple as you've made it out" or something similar to "the long arm of the DfT".

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Also had a flow of posts referring to LNER’s then-new flagships as “Satsumas,” which very quickly became not funny and just annoying, thankfully seemingly abandoned now.

On Moderation
“Bean counters” Mythical people who only exist in the minds of people who don’t have a clue what they’re talking about and are looking for a ‘they’ to blame.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
“Bean counters” Mythical people who only exist in the minds of people who don’t have a clue what they’re talking about and are looking for a ‘they’ to blame.
Not heard of that one before.

"Euston scrum"
Very misleading as a scrum is usually what humans form when playing rugby, and I'm not entirely sure the Euston gateline staff are human sometimes ;)

tbtc

Veteran Member
I don’t think we’ve had “random unit generator” yet?

Quite a patronising one used by people who claim that the professionals trying to match finite fleets to diagrams (despite engineering restrictions etc) are actually only as accurate/ competent as monkeys sat at typewriters

Often a seemingly strange allocation makes more sense if you know the diagrams that the stock is expected to perform over the course of a day (so it might appear like a fast train is randomly put in a stopper but you need to appreciate what other journeys it’s doing in the same day)

Absolutely, all too often used to disparage anyone doing a job that isn’t frontline - people want to bash the railway but daren’t be seen to criticise actual drivers/ guards do invent a bogeyman to pile all of the blame onto

owidoe

"Yob": Anyone under the age of 25 who isn't wearing a three-piece suit.
"Scrote": Anyone under the age of 25 who's been accused of a crime.
"Gang": Any group of friends who have the temerity to be out after 7 pm.
"County Lines": A young man on a train with a backpack.

Status
Not open for further replies.