• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK First Class Lounge Guide

Butts

Veteran Member
I sampled the Huddersfield first class lounge on Friday 4 November. A rather nice place to while away some time & very comfortable. More like a modern hotel reception area

Facilities include self service hot & cold drinks, biscuits, crisps and some dips (olive tapenade & mango chutney). Access is by showing your ticket to a camera, which was an issue with my ticket due to the small print on it!

I missed this. Am I correct in thinking this is TPE's first ever Lounge. I thought they were unable to open one as they didn't run any Stations. Sounds better fayre on offer than East Coast's meagre offerings in Provincial Lounges.

Why Huddersfield ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
There have been some big cuts to the Glasgow VT Lounge.

With Martin gone its now all downhill. No more sandwiches, deli plates or fruit bowls in the fridge. Gone are Bevvie Fridays as well.

Lots of tacky signs put up about not taking food.

No one is keeping an eye on it like Martin used to, so it can be covered in plates and dishes from the filthy pax who CBA to put it in the bin.

Had 11 visits this month.

Oldish post quoted above, but just wondered what Glasgow Central Lounge is like now. I've never been in it, but got an hour to kill on a weekday in January. Is it worth finding, or would I be better off getting a Greggs and doing some train spotting while I wait for my connection? :lol:

roversfan2001

Established Member
Spent half an hour in the New Street lounge yesterday. Was alright, had a Sky news channel on the TV (I couldn't tell if it was Sky Sports News or the basic Sky News :lol:). Was told that I had to have an adult with me in future which I thought was unfair but rules are rules I guess, and I was allowed to stay in.

trainophile

Established Member
Spent half an hour in the New Street lounge yesterday. Was alright, had a Sky news channel on the TV (I couldn't tell if it was Sky Sports News or the basic Sky News :lol:). Was told that I had to have an adult with me in future which I thought was unfair but rules are rules I guess, and I was allowed to stay in.

I don't like the new BHM lounge nearly as much as the old one. For one thing, the TV is hidden in a corner so unless you can find a spare seat there without intruding on other groups, you can't even see it. Also the refreshment area is tucked in a corner and too cramped. And finally, what's with that large high table opposite the desk, presumably for people to work at?

I'd guess the rule about having an adult with you is because some very young travellers might be noisy or disruptive to other people. Can't think of any other reason, it's not as if you can help yourself to alcohol. Maybe they think a child could scald themselves making a cup of tea?

roversfan2001

Established Member
I don't like the new BHM lounge nearly as much as the old one. For one thing, the TV is hidden in a corner so unless you can find a spare seat there without intruding on other groups, you can't even see it. Also the refreshment area is tucked in a corner and too cramped. And finally, what's with that large high table opposite the desk, presumably for people to work at?

I'd guess the rule about having an adult with you is because some very young travellers might be noisy or disruptive to other people. Can't think of any other reason, it's not as if you can help yourself to alcohol. Maybe they think a child could scald themselves making a cup of tea?

I thought it looked quite good to be honest; although I agree that the TV is in probably the worst place it could be, it would be far better positioned on the wall between the desk and the refreshment area.

I suspect the rule about an adult might have only been told to me as my ticket only cost £3.60 :lol::lol:

Established Member
Oldish post quoted above, but just wondered what Glasgow Central Lounge is like now. I've never been in it, but got an hour to kill on a weekday in January. Is it worth finding, or would I be better off getting a Greggs and doing some train spotting while I wait for my connection? [emoji38]
I go through Central a lot but only tried the lounge once. It's just a partition across the ticket office with horrible harsh lighting and a few chairs and tables with a coffee machine. It isn't at all well looked after as the poster above says. As I recall it was a gesture to either the Commonwealth Games or the Ryder Cup, or both.

Don't bother unless you're determined to get something for nothing: spend a few quid in the lounge of the Central Hotel, or even the main bar on the concourse is a better bet if it's that time of day.

Mind you, I was sat on a nasty saggy stained chair in the too small Manchester Piccadilly lounge the other day, I can't say that I was too impressed by that either, but at least it's properly separated from the rest of the station.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Hello all,

Read some of the posts above and the main first post but due to age I thought I'd ask a clarifying question.

I will be using the VT first class lounge on Friday morning and I wondered if the showers were still available and if so, are they for all passengers or just those coming off the Sleeper?

Thanks,
TTT

Butts

Veteran Member
In the Edinburgh Lounge today - very festive with Christmas Trees and decorations.

Usual Coffee/Juices plus biscuits and crisps - no muffins :(

At this time of year you think they might have the wit to have a few Mince Pies on offer :p

Noticed Carlisle is undergoing a major refurbishment at the moment (nice new free toilets).

Ideal time to put a Lounge in ? - or no room or more likely inclination <D

Polarbear

Established Member
In the Edinburgh Lounge today - very festive with Christmas Trees and decorations.

Usual Coffee/Juices plus biscuits and crisps - no muffins :(

At this time of year you think they might have the wit to have a few Mince Pies on offer :p

Noticed Carlisle is undergoing a major refurbishment at the moment (nice new free toilets).

Ideal time to put a Lounge in ? - or no room or more likely inclination <D

It would certainly be a good idea & I can't see there being any issues with space at Carlisle station. Can't see it happening unfortunately.

On an aside, I noticed the other day that SBB (Swiss rail) are to close their two existing First Class lounges at the end of this year - due to lack of use! Don't want that happening here so please keep visiting the first class lounges across the country..!! ;)

Butts

Veteran Member
Anyone know if Birmingham International Lounge is open on Christmas Eve / New Years Eve and if so what the opening hours are ?

Have looked on site but can't find anything.:idea:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyone know if Birmingham International Lounge is open on Christmas Eve / New Years Eve and if so what the opening hours are ?

Have looked on site but can't find anything.:idea:

Just realised I asked the same question last year and it was open both days - hopefully the same this year.

Anyone been in the Scotrail Lounge at Aberdeen - I didn't even know it was there :p

trainophile

Established Member
Anyone been in the Scotrail Lounge at Aberdeen - I didn't even know it was there :p

Couple of years ago I had a midwinter day trip to ABD from EDB, and wanted to wait for my return train on the station rather than wandering around outside in the dark. Someone on here suggested if I bought a 1st ticket to Portleven for a couple of quid I would be able to access the ABD lounge, which I did.

Nice environment, all the usual hot drinks, biscuits etc. to help yourself to, and free toilets. Worth the £2 or so (with railcard) I paid, and got me out of the cold, even though I was only in there for 30 minutes.

ScotTrains

I've used it a few times recently. It's always been empty whenever I've been in. I think people forget it's even there. Scotrail never really advertise their 1st class offering compared to Virgin (East and West coast).

The lounge is quite nice with various drinks, snacks, pate, cheeses etc. It also has showers, primarily for sleeper passengers. These are also useful for anyone getting the overnight ferries from Orkney and Shetland.

The much loved 'advance' card is no longer accepted since Abellio took over. I believe the cheapest valid 1st class ticket is from Aberdeen to Dyce. The new 1st class advance tickets from Glasgow/Edinburgh are also accepted.

Does anyone know what has happened to the Scotrail Edinburgh Waverley lounge? Last I heard it was closed for refurbishment and scotrail passengers were allowed to use the East Coast lounge instead. This was a few years ago but I don't think it ever opened again.

trainophile

Established Member
I've used it a few times recently. It's always been empty whenever I've been in. I think people forget it's even there. Scotrail never really advertise their 1st class offering compared to Virgin (East and West coast).

The lounge is quite nice with various drinks, snacks, pate, cheeses etc. It also has showers, primarily for sleeper passengers. These are also useful for anyone getting the overnight ferries from Orkney and Shetland.

The much loved 'advance' card is no longer accepted since Abellio took over. I believe the cheapest valid 1st class ticket is from Aberdeen to Dyce. The new 1st class advance tickets from Glasgow/Edinburgh are also accepted.

Does anyone know what has happened to the Scotrail Edinburgh Waverley lounge? Last I heard it was closed for refurbishment and scotrail passengers were allowed to use the East Coast lounge instead. This was a few years ago but I don't think it ever opened again.

Ah, it was Dyce not Porthleven that I bought a cheap ticket for in order to use the Lounge. My mistake above.

Butts

Veteran Member

Hey that sounds better than VEC and VWC if that sort of "fayre" is up for grabs. :p

Butts

Veteran Member
As I recall, the buffet bar is under the gaze of the desk person a couple of feet away, so you wouldn't get away with loading your pockets!

Perish the thought - that must explain why East Coast Lounges are generally unmanned as there is nothing to "load your pockets" with. :p

Butts

Veteran Member
Lounge reports at Birmingham International Christmas and New Years Eve.

Both open on the above days !!!

Christmas Eve empty when I got off the plane at BHX ...just time to grab a takeaway latte and biscuits crisps etc plus a packet of chocolate nuts/raisins before boarding a service to SAD.

New Years Eve a few in but poorly stocked for a VWC Lounge - just three types of biscuit product, sweets and usual pop/ hot drinks plus cans in the fridge. Took some Border Biccies to accompany my coffee on the plane to Glasgow.

Best thing is the private toilet facility afforded to users. :p

All Line Rover

Established Member
Well for anyone wondering about a staffed lounge (Euston), no it isn't open. Closed at 18:30 even though the last VTWC departure isn't until 19:43 and the lounge normally closes at 20:00 on Saturdays. There was no mention of this early closure on the VTWC website. I wouldn't have been pleased had I paid extra for a first class ticket in the expectation that there would be somewhere comfortable to wait at Euston. 1ST Advance tickets on the 18:20, 18:40, 19:00, 19:20 and 19:40 to Manchester this evening cost £74 - the usual price is £43.

Last edited:

Polarbear

Established Member
Well today, I had cause to use what must be the smallest 1st class lounge on the network-that at Ipswich.

It's little bigger than the average hallway, and boasts a couple of leather sofas, a table and a flat screen TV.

As for complementary refreshments, there are precisely none! Zip, nowt & nothing at all. At least they left the TV remote so I could change channel!

Butts

Veteran Member
Well today, I had cause to use what must be the smallest 1st class lounge on the network-that at Ipswich.

It's little bigger than the average hallway, and boasts a couple of leather sofas, a table and a flat screen TV.

As for complementary refreshments, there are precisely none! Zip, nowt & nothing at all. At least they left the TV remote so I could change channel!

Not even a cup of coffee ?

Polarbear

Established Member
Not even a cup of coffee ?

Alas no. Not even a water cooler for cold water - and there would be just enough space for one of those too.

I did get a free brew on the train to London, but that was just a cup of instant Nescafe -nothing fancy.

Oh, and the first class lounge at Liverpool Street is currently closed as they seem to be building a new ticket office in it's place. Whether the 1st lounge will ever re-appear, I wouldn't like to say.

On the assumption that the lounge at Liverpool Street re-opens at some point, I still need to visit the following lounges on the domestic network;

1. Kings Cross (visited the old one but not the current one)
  2. Wakefield Westgate (again, visited before but not since the concourse was rebuilt)
  3. Newcastle
  4. Gatwick Airport
  5. Wakefield Kirkgate (assuming it exists)
  6. Aberdeen
  7. Liverpool Street (assuming it ever re-opens)
  8. Cardiff Central
    [*}East Midlands Parkway

Last edited:

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Oh, and the first class lounge at Liverpool Street is currently closed as they seem to be building a new ticket office in it's place. Whether the 1st lounge will ever re-appear, I wouldn't like to say

There was a temporary one in the existing booking hall last time I was there.

Butts

Veteran Member
In the Liverpool Lime Street Lounge yesterday on the way out and back from FA Cup Match at Anfield.

For a Sunday it was pretty well provisioned with 40g Bags of "Tags" Crisps (local and nice) plus Fruit, Biscuits (various types and sizes). Hot drinks machine and Fridge with pop, orange juice and various other soft drinks.

Currently paying my first visit to East Coast's Flagship Lounge at Kings Cross awaiting The Chieftain back to Falkirk. It is certainly better stocked than any other East Coast Lounge I have been in - by a mile. However it's not quite up to West Coast standards - eg only coke available in the fridge, in Liverpool yesterday there was cans of Britvic Orange Juice and other products in addition to coke.

Polarbear

Established Member
There was a temporary one in the existing booking hall last time I was there.

Ah thanks for that. I only spotted the one on the concourse next to platform 10 & given it was peak hour, I wasn't too fussed on searching for an alternative!

I wonder what the FC lounge is like at Gatwick Airport. Probably the same seats but with antimacassars on

Given it's GTR, I'd be amazed if it's that good!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quick question - is access to the Cardiff Central lounge only for those holding GW tickets? The guide at the top of this thread says that's the case, but I can't find any information on the GWR website.

I'm planning a trip involving the loco-hauled Arriva turn from Cardiff, which conveys 1st class, but was wondering if I would be allowed to use the 1st class lounge at Cardiff prior to the start of my journey?

Does anyone have recent experience of using the 1st class lounge here - thanks?

BlueFox

Quick question - is access to the Cardiff Central lounge only for those holding GW tickets? The guide at the top of this thread says that's the case, but I can't find any information on the GWR website.

The ATW website says there's no first class lounge. It says this non existent lounge is located on platform 1, and all first class tickets are accepted.

https://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/stations/cdf/

First Class Lounge:No
First Class Lounge Note:

Located

Platform 1

Tickets Accepted

All First Class

Facilities

A comfortable modern lounge, screens with updated train information

Refreshments

Complimentary refreshments and a dedicated customer host ready to serve you.

Wi-Fi

Available

Showers

None

ScotTrains

Would Cross Country 1st class passengers also be able to use the Cardiff lounge if it accepts 'All First Class tickets'?