• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK First Class Lounge Guide

Butts

Veteran Member
Unfortunately I have , as you say instantly forgettable with very little on offer - the machine wasn't working on my last visit and the fayre on offer consisted of a solitary apple !!

No wonder it was unmanned and relatively hard to find.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
On recent (well, pre Covid) visits to Paddington lounge there were occasional sandwiches, presumably depending on a mixture of the time of day and whether in luck or not!

It used to be that the sandwiches finished at 14:00. I remember arranging to meet a friend there on our way back from a trip, and telling her to buy a 1st Class ticket to Slough to gain access, but when we all arrived at 14:15 it was just being cleared away and there was only cake, nuts, crisps and grapes. Nice jugs of orange juice in the fridges though.

Butts

Veteran Member
How come the Avanti Lounges at Birmingham International and Birmingham New Street are closed at weekends ?

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
If it's anything like the Lime Street lounge then it will be a shortage of staff, quite a few times over the last couple of weeks the lounge has had to close because of no staff.

Butts

Veteran Member
If it's anything like the Lime Street lounge then it will be a shortage of staff, quite a few times over the last couple of weeks the lounge has had to close because of no staff.

They don't normally have staff at BHI, you press a buzzer and they let you in on production of your ticket to the camera.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Does anyone know when the new first class lounge is due to open at York? I'm wondering if it will be in time for my booked trip in October.......which should have been in December.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Does anyone know when the new first class lounge is due to open at York? I'm wondering if it will be in time for my booked trip in October.......which should have been in December.

The other improvements we’re making include, opening a new First Class Lounge; and creating a new travel centre in the heart of the station. Alongside updating the retail and providing fresh ladies’ loos and accessible toilet/baby changing facilities.

We’re expecting the work to be finished by 2021.

I've seen nothing specifically about just the lounge.

Unfortunately I have , as you say instantly forgettable with very little on offer - the machine wasn't working on my last visit and the fayre on offer consisted of a solitary apple !!

No wonder it was unmanned and relatively hard to find.
I used Liverpool Street late 2019 with an advance to Diss (as train cancelled long wait so good to have somewhere to sit) and later with an all line rover. better than nothing, not very busy and there were some drinks. I agree that Glasgow, Euston and Paddington are good, and KX not bad. Edinburgh last (2020) summer was pretty empty but had little else to recommend.

Butts

Veteran Member
Why have Avanti and LNER got such divergent policies with regards to Lounges that are open ?

It seems LNER are not serving refreshments and Avanti are doing "take outs"

One plus was that there were on train refreshments, with tea/coffee, water and a goody bag (crisps and food bars) in both directions on the HSTs, although i was told that doing this serving is voluntary.

Last edited:

Vespa

Established Member
Until first class lounges are back to normal I won't be bothering buying a first class ticket.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Is it all systems go for normal service from May 17th ?

Or what further excuses are they going to come up with ?
Hoping more is on offer soon, I'm doing an ALR in July and would always go 1st class, but if things are still closed/unavailable etc etc then I may well opt for a standard class ticket and do something different.

Butts

Veteran Member
Just come out of the 1st Class Lounge at Euston Station and can confirm that they are serving a selection of complimentary drinks and snacks served to your table. Alcoholic Beverages are also available at an extra charge.

Oh dear and what excuse have LNER got for giving people SFA in their establishments.

Not only are they short changing people on the Trains with no Alcohol but the Lounges are even worse.

Wonder what their excuse is on this one ?

The GWR First class lounge at Paddington has reopened (last Monday), although with limited capacity. As i normally have standard class ticket I couldn't get in to see what was on offer!!

Peering through the window it may only be hot drinks.

Last edited:

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Sounding a bit more promising then. I would rather do my usual 1st class All Line Rover in July rather than standard class, but would like it to be worthwhile!

Butts

Veteran Member
It is being mentioned on another thread Avanti are planning a major improvement in the facilities on offer in their Lounges as part of The Standard Premium hybrids introduction.

Will we finally see free Malt Whisky on offer if it is to be on a par with Airline Lounges ?

Voyager lad

Hi - is there a definitive list of stations that have first class lounges?
There’s no definitive list, but here’s all the lounges I’m aware of:

Avanti
Glasgow Central, Manchester Piccadilly, Liverpool Lime St, Runcorn, Crewe, Birmingham New Street, Birmingham International and London Euston (future lounges to open in Preston, Stockport and Rugby to the best of my knowledge)

LNER
Edinburgh Waverley, Berwick, Newcastle, Darlington, York (opens later this year!), Leeds, Wakefield Westgate, Doncaster and London Kings Cross

GWR
London Paddington and Cardiff Central

ScotRail
Aberdeen only (Glasgow Queen St lounge no longer opening)

Grand Central
Wakefield Kirkgate only

Caledonian Sleeper (Lounges for all guests)
Inverness, Fort William, Dumbarton Central, Stirling, Perth, Dundee and Leuchars (there may be more!)

Hope that helps, and apologies if I've missed any!

Scotrail314209

Established Member

Avanti
Glasgow Central, Manchester Piccadilly, Liverpool Lime St, Runcorn, Crewe, Birmingham New Street, Birmingham International and London Euston (future lounges to open in Preston, Stockport and Rugby to the best of my knowledge)

LNER
Edinburgh Waverley, Berwick, Newcastle, Darlington, York (opens later this year!), Leeds, Wakefield Westgate, Doncaster and London Kings Cross

GWR

ScotRail

Grand Central
Wakefield Kirkgate only

Inverness, Fort William, Dumbarton Central, Stirling, Perth, Dundee and Leuchars (there may be more!)

Glad to see a Preston lounge eventually opening.

That is a primary location for Avanti in a way, so it was a bit strange as to why it doesn't operate a lounge.

Caledonian Sleeper also use ScotRail's Aberdeen lounge.

ScotTrains

Is the Transpennine first class lounge in Huddersfield still operating?

Would be nice to see more TPEx lounges opening across their network.

Wuffle

Avanti

LNER

GWR

ScotRail

Grand Central
Wakefield Kirkgate only

LNER Peterborough Use the Great Northern Hotel directly opposite the station. You need to get a coupon from customer service at the station

thatapanydude

LNER Peterborough Use the Great Northern Hotel directly opposite the station. You need to get a coupon from customer service at the station
Thanks for this, I did not know !! Usually travel from Peterborough to York in FC so this will be handy in tandem with the York longue opening!

1D53

Established Member
Is the Transpennine first class lounge in Huddersfield still operating?

Would be nice to see more TPEx lounges opening across their network.
Currently closed and being used an additional staff messroom but expected to open in the next few weeks.