• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK tickets asks for personal information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adlington

When booking through that site, after selecting route, dates, times &c, while proceeding to checkout, a "personal details" screen appears which asks for name, country and postal code. WHY?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James H

Quite usual for any site that takes card payment to collect your address

Adlington

First of all this is before you select the method of payment. One may have multiple credit cards with different addresses.
Secondly it's definitely not clear whether the site wants the details of the buyer or of the passenger. They may be two different people.

skyhigh

Established Member
And the buyer is supposed to guess that?
From the privacy policy:
Data Type
What data do we collect?
Why we need it
Basis for processing the data
Who handles this
  • Full name
  • Full physical address
  • Telephone number
  • Assist with payment processing
  • Pass through to our fulfilment provider for Ticket on Departure (ToD) fulfilment
  • Assist with support requests
  • Us
  • Third-party fulfilment providers
  • Third-party support providers
  • Third-party payment provider

Adlington

I see. All is fine and clear if before buying tickets I spend some time reading privacy policies, modern slavery statements &c. Instead I'll go and buy tickets elsewhere.

richa2002

Established Member
What a bizarre series of posts. This is totally standard for any site that takes payment.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
All is fine and clear if before buying tickets I spend some time reading privacy policies, modern slavery statements &c.
As per every other website. How many times have you purchased something online and ticked to say you agree to XYZ without reading those policies in full?

(Views own, not those of the forum.)

skyhigh

Established Member
I see. All is fine and clear if before buying tickets I spend some time reading privacy policies, modern slavery statements &c. Instead I'll go and buy tickets elsewhere.
Bizarre. Good luck buying tickets elsewhere that doesn't require the same information....

Adlington

The seller should clearly differentiate between the payer's and recipient's data. If you book an air ticket you are asked for passenger's name first and payer's details later. And it is made very clear whose name the airline wants at each step.

skyhigh

Established Member
The seller should clearly differentiate between the payer's and recipient's data. If you book an air ticket you are asked for passenger's name first and payer's details later. And it is made very clear whose name the airline wants at each step.
Yes it could be clearer who's name it wants. But the reason they want the information is clearly shown at the top of the privacy notice which is the obvious place to look. Throwing a strop and flouncing off isn't a very constructive way of suggesting improvements though.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Where will you buy from that doesn't ask for this information?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I think it’s probably wise if we acknowledge that this forum isn’t a source of “Customer Service” advice for tickets bought via TrainSplit (forum branded or not).

To the OP, please do reach out to TrainSplit if you’re genuinely concerned. They’ll be best placed to offer advice on their privacy policies etc.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
And the buyer is supposed to guess that?

So you’re grumbling that the buyer is supposed to guess the privacy policy because you’re unhappy to read the privacy policy, yet you are happy to complain about it?

How bizarre!

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not sure there's much benefit to keeping this thread open, so am locking this. We do welcome general feedback about RailUK Tickets (we have TrainSplit staff active on the forum so we do genuinely appreciate it, so long as it's not about individual support requests which we'd rather go via the normal support channels!) in the dedicated thread, but I'm not sure there's much benefit in further discussion on this particular one, other than to say we've acknowledged it :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.