• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Bridges with Footpaths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam

Established Member
Related to the tunnels you can walk through....

How many railway bridges in the UK have public footpaths alongside the railway?

Oykel Viaduct on the North Highland Line has a footpath retrofitted on one side of the bridge. Barmouth bridge in Wales has a tolled footpath IIRC.

Others?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

exile

Established Member
Hungerford Bridge - I think! and Putney Bridge?

Established Member
High Level Bridge in Newcastle has one underneath. There is also a bridge across the river at Wetheral which is right next to the railway.

driver9000

Established Member
Carlisle Bridge in Lancaster has a footpath alongside the railway.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Elsewhere in Greater London...Barnes railway bridge.

Not sure if Hungerford quite counts anymore, since the two Golden Jubilee Bridges were built - I think they are entirely separate structures from the railway bridge in between them.

There was talk a few years back (pre-recession) of adding a pedestrian walkway to the bridge carrying tracks south from Cannon Street station, but nothing has come of it yet.

Wyvern

Established Member
Headstone Viaduct over Monsal Dale.

THe old Great Northern bridge over the Derwent in Derby

Liam

Established Member
Perth Railway bridge over the River Tay. Used for access to Monicreiffe Island and the Golf Course.

mickey

I may be missing something, but surely the one going into Charing Cross counts? I forget what it's called though!

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Mickey - that is Hungerford Bridge. I'd say the new pedestrian bridges built in 2002 are separate from the railway bridge.
Here's the one that comes closest

http://g.co/maps/awx9

jonesy3001

Established Member
Carlisle bridge in lancaster, theres a footpath next to the line, shame the steps are pretty steep.
IMG_0008-21.jpg

Last edited:

emoaconr

Hawarden Bridge, Flintshire carrying the Wrexham-Bidston line over the River Dee.
Footpath attached to the bridge with low barriers

DavidBrown

One bridge on the Tarka Line just south of Eggesford has had its unused second track converted to carry a public footpath;

tarka333.jpg

Wyvern

Established Member
There's a circuitous footpath that leads from the Morledge in Derby to Nottingham Road that crosses Eastgate on the ring road with a footpath next to the main railway line into Derby station.

capture.jpg

Poss Planner

A couple more; CDM2 UB41a M6 Bridge at Knutsford (approx 15m) has a public footpath alongside and CNH3 VB9 River Bridge at Chester (by the racecourse) has a footpath alongside of it.
In the old days WJL1 VB25 Runcorn Viaduct had a public footpath, over which the railway company charged access - its now a staff access point. It closed when the modern road bridge opened about 1960?

Wyvern

Established Member
There's a photo somewhere of spotters on the Five Arches Bridge just outside Derby station though I'm not sure they were supposed to be there.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
In 1965 (when the nearby road bridge opened) the footpath on the Ethelfleda Bridge was closed. It would make for an interesting walk if it was re-opened today though that is unlikely.

Do you know of any other operational rail bridges which have a footpath along them ? (apart from the obvious Central London ones across the Thames)

4SRKT

Established Member
Scarborough Bridge in York does. My personal favourite is the bridge in Perth carrying the Dundee line over the Tay.

IanD

Established Member
I see the Ethelfleda Bridge is in the link in the previous post. Certainly looks like it would be an impressive walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.