• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Courses for Service Leavers

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie873

Hello All,

I'm about to de mob after 12 years in the Army, but unfortunately, the re settlement course (NVQ Level 2 in P-Way Renewal) that I've wanted to do for about 4 years now is no longer available.

It's sort of left me at a bit of a loose end now as I want to get on the railways either as Train Crew/ Trainee Driver or Track Maintenance, but I cant get any courses unless I'm sponsored by or employed by a company :(

I'm gaining a little experience by doing voluntary work at a couple of preservation railways, but I'm wondering if anybody knows of any courses I could do that would benefit me in getting a career on the railways.

I'm entitled to around £550ish for courses.

I'm still waiting out to hear if i'm I'm on the 12 week Government funded Railway Apprenticeship at Sutton in Ashfield.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated

I thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dolive22

What do you do in the Army? What is your rank? No need for specifics, just broad bands will do.

I would expect that of all unqaulified candidates (that is, ones without the NVQ and PTS) you would be the most attractive wth your (admittedly limited) experience and 12 years in the army.

I think it is possible to pay privately for PTS and a few related courses, but probably not allowed to get the card without a sponsor. Perhaps you could get a firm to officially sponsor you and be responsible for your drug tests etc with you paying the fees.

There are lots of new schemes around at the moment in training. You could try asking a local FE college what schemes are about. In my experience they may well be willing to advise you in general as to what is available if you are also considering training with them. The Job Centre may also be able to tell you what schemes are around.

You could try and improve your relevant academic qaulifications (GCSE Maths, Physics etc.) and you could do that by distance learning in your own time as long as you make it to the exam. I don't know the rules on naming commercial firms on this board, but if someone could clarify I can tell you the provider I used for GCSE Physics. You might also want to try A level study, perhaps in Maths or Physics. You can get a grade in Mechanics modules without doing other modules. Since you left school they have introduced AS levels which take 1 year and are half an A level.

Finally, thank you for 12 years service. Most of us really appreciate what you in the Forces do, and we don't say it enough

charlie873

Thank you for your kind words and advice Dolive.

I'm an advanced driver on Challenger 2 and CVR(T) and i've recently moved into stores to get some computer skills and my HGV. I'm a Corporal with basic Team Leading Skills.

Looking back, perhaps i should have retaken my GCSE's a while back, still, Hindsight's 20/20. I just never really found the time with the tempo of operational commitment's now.
Still, it's never too late, just might not have enough time to do that before I'm out in June.

I guess I'll just have to polish up my CV and get it distributed to as many firm's as possible.

Any Ideas on how I would be able to get a firm to sponsor me though?

I think the Job Centre's a pretty good place to start looking and asking.

Thanks again,

Charlie

Fig

If it's train driver you're looking at, then I wouldn't bother with a specific resettlement course, there aren't any. I used mine to do the DSA direct entry full motorcycle licence. If, on the other hand, you're looking at p-way then I'm afraid I can't help. Don't forget you can add the current year's ILC to your £550 to boost it up a bit.

I would strongly advise you to attend the 3 day CTW if you haven't already. You will pick up some excellent advice on CV writing, application form completion and interview techniques. I'm convinced those 3 days are what got me my job offer.

Good luck mate.

Dolive22

I don't have any specific advice on getting sponsored, other than the obvious ask everyone possible.

Others on here are better qualified to advise on the PTS system, but as I said I think you need a sponsor who is responsible for drug testing. I don't think you have to be paid by them though. They therefore might be willing to sponsor someone who pays for their own course in the expectation that you would be available for casual work from then on.

charlie873

Good news (I think), Just had a letter from West Notts college inviting me for an interview for a place on an NVQ level 2 in Railway maintenance :D

Interview is on the 28th Jan. Cant wait.

Only trouble is, because of my age (30), I might not be able to get on a course until August, Also, I've been told today that the tories are going to cut funding for adult (25yrs+) apprenticeships even further when they get into power, so I may not get on at all <(

Will just have to wait and see I suppose.

Dolive22

The tories have been pretty keen on protecting veterans. They may not have realised this effect of their cuts. It could be worth writing to your local Conservative MP or candidate, or even party HQ highlighting this effect. It probably wouldn't change anything, but it might be a policy they could hold in reserve to announce if it would help them. Helping veterans on this would cost next to nothing in the scheme of things.

Oh and congrats.

charlie873

Thanks Dolive21,

I've always got my Enhanced Learning Credits I can put towards it if need be. will just have to see what they say come the 28th. Will post the outcome.

charlie873

Just found out I was successful in the interview and tests, but as I thought, no definate date as to when I can start :(

Look's like I'll have to take some driving work (If I can get any) until I can start and then take it from there.

Old Timer

Established Member
Charlie,

Unfortunately right now is a bad time as all the major Infrastructure Companies are actually making experienced staff (from trackmen to senior managers) redundant because of the way that Network Rail is play acting and trying to destroy the Infrastructure Contractors.

Whole hoardes of experienced staff are going abroad to work, so when it finally dawns on Network Rail that they cannot actually do anything with the staff they have, they will come back begging to the major Contractors but the experience they need will either be abroad and unwilling to come back, or they (NR) will be paying substantial sums of money for us to even consider going anywhere near them.

At that point there will be plenty of work but I don't see that happening for another year or so yet.

My Company is doing work in Euriope and I much prefer that to being here and working on NR. I only come back because I still have jobs here that need doing.

When the pendulum swings back, I would counsel you to try for one of the major Infrastructure Contractors (those who are still prepared to work on NR) rather than the smaller Companies or the Labour Suppliers (especially). You will get treated like a dog by them and would never be secure.

The bigger Companies will offer a slightly lower salary but the benfits will be much better, as will the security, plus if you pick the right ones, there are opportunities to work abroad.

Keep me in mind when you do pass out and contact me and I will endeavour to see if I can place you with my people. If not I have sufficient contacts to find someone for you hopefully.

charlie873

Thank you for your advice Old Timer. Due to work commitments, time has flown by since I signed off and I've suddenly realised that I've got less than 6 month's left before I'm out on 2nd June.
I've scoured various Rail employment websites, but unfortunately I've discovered that the majority of adverts are for senior entry level jobs, and those that are beginner levels are looking for experience, which i don't have.
I seem to be going around in circle's as I'll never be able to gain the experience without at least being able to gain my PTS ticket first.
I've tried just sending my CV to various Rail Infrastructure companies, TOC's & FOC's, but only had 1 reply to say they'll keep me on file.
I honestly didn't think it'd be this this difficult
I think I'll just have to take what I can get and just keep chasing the dream.
Thanks again,
Charlie

matjax

Hi
Have you tried the On Track Machine companies. They are often very keen on ex servicemen. Im pretty sure Amey Colas were looking but not sure if you had to have experience. Maybe have a look on there website. Also I know there is a company in Ruddington, Nottingham who provide railway training for people who have been made redundant etc..... I know this is not your situation but they may be able to help. I think they are called Silver Track.

Ploughman

Established Member
Charlie
You mentioned that you are working on some of the preserved lines.
As you are located Catterick would the NYMR be one of them?
At Pickering the PW dept may be worth contacting for experience.
Regular weekend volunteer gangs and also midweek assistance to full time staff is common.
PM me or take a look at our group website. Details of what we do on there.

I was until last year a Site Engineer / Senior Tech with a track renewal firm but after 22 year took the money and ran due to uncertainties and probable compulsory redundancies.
As Old Timer said it is not the time to be getting into the game and definately not into contract labour unless desparate.

Status
Not open for further replies.