• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
Perhaps you may not have noticed that the quiz has moved on to another conundrum to solve and I very much doubt that Obi-Wan Kenobi, even with all the Force accorded to a Jedi Knight, would have considered the pre-1948 grouping Southern Railway as being from "the dark side"..:D

On the contrary, I'm sure Obi-Wan would have described the Southern as “an elegant railway, for a more civilised age”.

Sadly my personal knowledge on the Southern Railway's advertisments, and particularly Balham, are non-existent, so having made what comedic comments I can muster, I'll leave the current question to you more knowledgable folk.

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
OK, another Scottish one:

On the Far North Line, one railway station closed in 1960 and reopened in 1961. This station has its name in Scottish Gaelic as well as in English, but recently First ScotRail changed the Gaelic on this sign from its previous National Express ScotRail Gaelic. Can you give me:

a). The English name
b). The original Gaelic name
and
c). The current Gaelic name?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
OK, another Scottish one:

On the Far North Line, one railway station closed in 1960 and reopened in 1961. This station has its name in Scottish Gaelic as well as in English, but recently First ScotRail changed the Gaelic on this sign from its previous National Express ScotRail Gaelic. Can you give me:

a). The English name
b). The original Gaelic name
and
c). The current Gaelic name?

Congratulations on finding this one to test us. I can only answer two of the three parts, but have added a footnote.
a)....Rogart
b)....Unsure of original name
c)... Sgire Raoird

The station when reopened in 1961 was named Rogart Halt, but was subsequently changed to that of Rogart.

backontrack

Established Member
Congratulations on finding this one to test us. I can only answer two of the three parts, but have added a footnote.
a)....Rogart
b)....Unsure of original name
c)... Sgire Raoird

The station when reopened in 1961 was named Rogart Halt, but was subsequently changed to that of Rogart.

A - Rogart

B - Raoghard

C - Sgire Raoird
You're both really close. Really close, for HMS.

Thanks for the clarification Paul.

backontrack

Established Member
Correct! It's actually Sgìre Raoird, but I'll give you that. :smile:

Yes, HMS Ark Royal is right there. Rogart was closed and then reopened in 1960 and 61 - it has been known as Sgìre Raoird and is now Raoghard. Both of you were close, but HMS takes it I'm afraid. Big thanks to Paul too though, especially on that Halt clarification. The station is also the only on the FNL to be both a request stop and a two-platform station, and you can stay in old railway carriages there at Sleeperzzz.

I can do more questions like this if they are popular.

HMS has the floor. :smile:

Last edited:

kevconnor

One that can most definitely be ruled out would be access the Liverpool Road Station in Manchester.

Just ask that well known Mancunian Mr M Whitby currently resident in that well known suburb of Manchester the UAE.

Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
As 24 hours has gone by...

This is where you can find a giraffe and an elephant next to each other

theageofthetra

On Moderation
The Whipsnade Zoo railway was called the Jumbo express, is it anything to do with that and would HS2 pass near it?