• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Well the line to Key West got closed about 1930 due to being demolished by a hurricane ...

Interesting thought (1935, to be exact -- a dreadful year for closures of "fun" lines worldwide); but what I'm looking for was about a decade and a half earlier, and a very long way from Florida.

Calthrop

Established Member
Yes: this particular railroad was adversely effected by a decision taken concerning it, during that episode. Now -- which railroad was it?

DerekC

Established Member
I have scratched my head and consulted every source I can find but no luck. Presumably it was a victim of some form of rationalisation enforced by the USRA - downgraded to a secondary route, maybe? But then why didn't it recover? The railroads were compensated for their loss of profit, I think. Another clue might be needed!

AndrewE

Established Member
I'll guess that the track was lifted to be exported for rebuilding the network in France?

Calthrop

Established Member
I have scratched my head and consulted every source I can find but no luck. Presumably it was a victim of some form of rationalisation enforced by the USRA - downgraded to a secondary route, maybe? But then why didn't it recover? The railroads were compensated for their loss of profit, I think. Another clue might be needed!

@DerekC: in fact, the reverse of your scenario -- the railroad was calamitously overloaded as a result of an ill-advised decision by the controlling authority. @AndrewE: ingenious notion; but it was all a purely internally-US thing.

Hint, coming from another angle: the railroad concerned, was standard gauge -- in the midst of, and to quite some extent competing with, a big narrow-gauge concentration.

DerekC

Established Member
@DerekC: in fact, the reverse of your scenario -- the railroad was calamitously overloaded as a result of an ill-advised decision by the controlling authority.
Hint, coming from another angle: the railroad concerned, was standard gauge -- in the midst of, and to quite some extent competing with, a big narrow-gauge concentration.

Thanks - that did help. How about the Colorado Midland Railway? Reading the description, with five summits and gradients of 4% it's not hard to see why it had problems handling all trans-Colorado traffic! I found some pretty spectacular photos of the abandoned route.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks - that did help. How about the Colorado Midland Railway? Reading the description, with five summits and gradients of 4% it's not hard to see why it had problems handling all trans-Colorado traffic!

Absolutely right. (One of the few US lines which preferred to style themselves "Railway", not "Railroad".) I've heard, from a Colorado-resident railfan, a slightly different account of the debacle, from that which Wiki gives: per this contact, it wasn't so much the burden being found too great: thus the "new" through traffic being diverted, and most of the line's previous traffic fading away with it -- it was rather, the whole line and its equipment were so much knocked-about and worn out by the vastly augmented wartime through traffic, that the entire set-up was effectively, physically ruined (and the line was financially broke anyway -- no resources for reconstructing, and no meaningful government help); again per this guy, the CM staggered on until 1920, and mostly closed then, rather than Wiki's date of 1918. Whichever way, a sad story.

So, my fellow-US-bureaucrat: your turn, to find another railroad to ruin -- or are you caught up in this damnfool new "Prohibition" thing?

DerekC

Established Member
That's the one! I spotted it years ago (it's in large letters but very high up on the building) and eventually remembered to look it up.

Over to you.

Spoorslag '70

There is a station on a national railway network in an English speaking country which was both opened and closed this decade, being the only station on the respective network to do so (i.e. no other station was either closed or opened this decade).
Name the station and - for (virtual) bonus points - why it was opened and closed.

Spoorslag '70

The Manx Electric Railway was closed between Laxey and Ramsey for most of 2008 because of track problems - is that relevant?
No, I am not counting engineering related alterations. The station was first opened this decade, only to be closed a few years later and only had trains stopping on some days.

DerekC

Established Member
At last - School Hill was the station, I think. Opened in 2012 to allow children to be taken to and from Castle Rushen High School during a bus strike.