• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
@Marton, I think that's good enough. The Gallitzin Tunnel takes the PRR main line under the summit of the Alleghenies, which are a range of the Appalachians. It's about 5 miles west (as the locomotive climbs) from Horseshoe Curve.

There is a footbridge just outside the western portal from which you can see quite a long way into the tunnel. A colleague and I took his 3- and 5-year old boys there a few years ago after a trip to Horseshoe Curve - they were very excited to see the locomotive headlamp coming closer and closer …. and burst into tears when about 10000hp of diesel, still pulling the back end of the train up the gradient, emerged from the tunnel and roared under the bridge at 35 mph or so!

Your viewpoint.

Marton

Thank you. You have given a lot of help. I was tempted to do open floor but that just slows things down so a quickie (I think)

From which city did the Devonian begin it’s journey to Devon?

AndrewE

Established Member
Thank you. You have given a lot of help. I was tempted to do open floor but that just slows things down so a quickie (I think)

From which city did the Devonian begin it’s journey to Devon?
Leeds?

Marton

It was Bradford (Forster Square ?)

PS I knew that even without the help of the Leeds guess

It was Bradford. FS till the 70s when it changed to Exchange.

The walker reference I have is to beyond Paignton at kingswear.

The first part of the route was Midland from FS via Cudworth to Sheffield and Derby

Your floor.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
I wasn't sure....a guess with not much confidence.

Where has the longest platform in the UK?

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Colchester and another station are argued a lot about which is longest.

I haven't said i was looking for a station though....

I asked where has the longest platform in the UK .

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
No.... sorry.

As a clue. There isn't a passenger station where this platform is . It is also the longest in Europe.....

Calthrop

Established Member
As it's Open Floor:

This involves a person who was the offspring of two quite progressive and "edgy" artistic / aesthetic folk -- artists in their own right, and members of a movement sharing similar artistic ideals; the bod's given name, being after the name of another prominent artistic figure. Plus, the then Poet Laureate was an "honorary uncle" of our bod. This person nonetheless took very different paths in life, from those typical of the milieu into which born; and became a personage of considerable note among students of the British railway scene, and especially of one particular sector of it.

Who was the person concerned?

Calthrop

Established Member
Hint -- our bod chose to enter the armed forces -- AFAIK in a section of same, which featured hearing few if any shots fired in anger; still, looking rather like rejection / rebellion vis-a-vis family background. Was subsequently involved with a fair number of British railway undertakings.

DerekC

Established Member
I thought of Robert Graves but I don't think it can be him - his role in WWI certainly did involve hearing shots fired in anger ("Goodbye to All That"). And I don't think he had much to do with railways.

Calthrop

Established Member
No -- not Graves. Our chap was "career military" -- I believe his World War I role was home-based and quite comfortable and easy; though he was getting on in years by then, anyway.